User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:00   #51
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: xBox or PS2

try to make jokes funny

i just thought thief 2 didnt have the atmosphere of thief. its an opinion thing, i was stuck in a stupid glade underground or something, thought '**** this' and went to the pub or something. Then just never loaded it again.

oh no... mgs2 is still very very good not as ground breaking as the first... but a better 'game' by all accounts.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:02   #52
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future

Dante Hicks is right; consoles and PC's both have their merits when it comes to gaming. Obviously PC's are better value for money as they can do more, but consoles are much better for multiplay with your mates, for example.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:04   #53
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
beat em up games happen to be something i play an awful awful lot (or used to at least, and i definitely know what im talking about). The best 3D ones we have had in recent years are ttt and vf4:evo. TTT is becoming ancient now, but evo is still fresh. 2D wise, streetfighter type things will always be the best, and the DC is the only decent place to go for there, i have one of those just for that actually.
Why not get a dreamcast then? They cost about 50p.

Quote:
maybe not on the pc.
also, are those games you mentioned better than GT3? i doubt it, but then, i cant say ive played them.
For multiplayer? MKD definitely is, it's much more pickupandplayable than a 'serious' racing game. Singleplayerwise, I prefer them tooooooo.

Quote:
yes... you open it up and put stuff in and stuff like etc.
Can you upgrade the graphics card? Processor? Motherboard?

The first two are the ones that need to be done, and the last one is a requirement (in some cases) for the first two.

Quote:
i certainly havent noticed faster loading times on the PC, if anything they are slower. + booting up etc is a chore.
Try

a. having a decent hard drive.

b. defragging.

The load times in something like Morrowind are noticably better (about 1/10th or something stupid like that) on the PC.

Quote:
i never really got into mods or anything, so i cant really judge that. Yeah, graphics are better, but at the level graphics have got to in general, i dont even notice, gameplay has always been more important to me.
I'm talking about when it's THE SAME GAME, re: graphics, duder.

Quote:
and talking of gameplay, i dont think PCs normally have anything to compete with a four player game with all your mates in a comfortable sitting room set up in 2 minutes.
If you want to play SP (or online) PC's are better. If you want hot 4 player gaming action, you want a Gamecube, or possibly an N64.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:06   #54
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
try to make jokes funny
So that's where I've been going wrong!

Quote:
i just thought thief 2 didnt have the atmosphere of thief. its an opinion thing, i was stuck in a stupid glade underground or something, thought '**** this' and went to the pub or something. Then just never loaded it again.
Your loss duder.

Quote:
oh no... mgs2 is still very very good not as ground breaking as the first... but a better 'game' by all accounts.
Not the accounts I've heard
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:10   #55
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

nah, ive had brill times playing 4 player on PS2

as for getting a dreamcast... if you read the last sentence of my bit you quoted i said i actually have one of those just for that. one might assume from that that i owned a dreamcast. got it for about 20 quid over a year ago.

you can upgrade laptops, one of my best mates at uni who im living with next year made laptops etc for a living last year and says i can, itll void the warranty, but most things do these days

my views on graphics dont change because of your sentence, that wasnt actually an argument innit?

yeah, mkdd probably is more pick up and play, but thats GC, not PC. I would like a GC for that kind of things sometimes, but not greatly bothered.

as for morrowind... i dont play rpgs duder. And if i did id probably say stuff like "ff is better than everything", but i wont, cos i dont.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:12   #56
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

the accounts weve heard re:mgs2 have been different i guess.

re: thief, like i said, its an opinion thing.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:12   #57
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

MrL loses because he keeps saying "duder"
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:19   #58
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
as for morrowind... i dont play rpgs duder. And if i did id probably say stuff like "ff is better than everything", but i wont, cos i dont.
The rest of your post can go to hell. I'm just going to sit here and giggle at this.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:19   #59
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
MrL loses because he keeps saying "duder"
That's just like your opinion man.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:22   #60
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

like i said... i dont know bout rpgs much

doesnt mean i cant make stupid random statements that ive heard other people say.

on another note... im just going to sit and giggle at the rest of my post as it utterly destroyed all arguments you ever made. At least thats what im assuming, as its far better for me.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:23   #61
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

wait for the ps3.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:24   #62
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

and in the mean time get a used psx2

Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:26   #63
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Anyway boys, stop bickering over PC's vs PS2's as thats not at all what skiddy was wondering about and you have totally buried me telling him to buy me a pressie in amonget your arguing.

Play nicely now.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:29   #64
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

pc's to get the quality of px2 and beyond are costly.. thats all i have to say about that

Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:31   #65
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
as for getting a dreamcast... if you read the last sentence of my bit you quoted i said i actually have one of those just for that. one might assume from that that i owned a dreamcast. got it for about 20 quid over a year ago.
I KNOW you have one, but if you actually read my statement, you would see it was a general rather than specific suggestion. ie. 'Why not suggest that skiddy gets a DC?'

Quote:
you can upgrade laptops, one of my best mates at uni who im living with next year made laptops etc for a living last year and says i can, itll void the warranty, but most things do these days
This all depends on how the laptop is constructed, for instance. Oh, and there's heat concerns. And it's all just easier to make a new pc. Probably cheaper too.

Quote:
my views on graphics dont change because of your sentence, that wasnt actually an argument innit?
It was a clarification. You said that you prefer gameplay over graphics. I corrected your misunderstanding of my argument; my argument was that, with the same game, the graphics are better on a PC. Look at Vice City, look at Knights of the Old Republic. Your argument doesn't actually apply to my argument duder, which is why I didn't actually argue it.

Quote:
yeah, mkdd probably is more pick up and play, but thats GC, not PC. I would like a GC for that kind of things sometimes, but not greatly bothered.
This is why I suggested getting Gamecube if you want a console, but I'd only get one if I didn't have a PC already.

Quote:
on another note... im just going to sit and giggle at the rest of my post as it utterly destroyed all arguments you ever made. At least thats what im assuming, as its far better for me.
O rly? I thought it was just you misinterpreting what I was saying (mmm strawman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
pc's to get the quality of px2 and beyond are costly.. thats all i have to say about that
You can get a modern PC for £250, why the hell would you want 3 or 4 year old technology for £150?

Last edited by MrL_JaKiri; 29 Feb 2004 at 18:53.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:33   #66
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
This is why I suggested getting Gamecube if you want a console, but I'd only get one if I didn't have a PC already.
You got GameCube and you had a PC already
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:35   #67
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
You got GameCube and you had a PC already
In english?
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:41   #68
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

cant get one with a good graphics and sound card, plunt of ram, PCI expansion slots, and a 2.88ghz pentium 4 at 250... a celeron maybe, but those are horrible.

Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:43   #69
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
cant get one with a good graphics and sound card, plunt of ram, PCI expansion slots, and a 2.88ghz pentium 4 at 250... a celeron maybe, but those are horrible.
I wasn't aware that PCI slots cost anything. Furthermore, if you think that the PS2 is comparable in power to something like that, you're badly mistaken.

Oh, and why not READ THE THREAD!

Quote:
Make it yourself.

Athlon XP 2200+, GeForce 5200, 512Mb of DDR 2700, 120Gb WDSE Hard Drive. You can get a much better processor for (say) £20 more.
(Referring to the £250 computer)
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:47   #70
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

when i read your posts to myself in my head... all i hear is white noise...

you are just a terrier who doesnt give up on his chew toy! despite all decent reasons and reasoning which would suggest to go and have a piss in the street.

agh!
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:52   #71
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
when i read your posts to myself in my head... all i hear is white noise...

you are just a terrier who doesnt give up on his chew toy! despite all decent reasons and reasoning which would suggest to go and have a piss in the street.

agh!
Yeah, I too hate it when people are right
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:55   #72
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

i would have thought you'd be used to it by now.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 18:56   #73
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No, it's made by Sony who are of course renowned for keeping it real with the kids on the street.
regardless, Sony is not M$...therefore, Sony wins by default
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 19:00   #74
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

Oh for gods sake the pair of you just quit arguing. PCs are good for playing some things, and you can get a prefectly good one for cheap if you know where to look and how to build your own rather than going to PC world or something. Consoles are good if you like the type of games that are well suited to consoles - small number multiplayer, fighting and racing. I hardly think Mark is saying all consoles are crap when we have about 10 of them in the other room. And Deepflow, for gods sake stop being such an ass.

Actually, that applies to both of you.

Now give poor skiddy some advice on the question he actually ASKED.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 19:06   #75
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...if you think that the PS2 is comparable in power to something like that, you're badly mistaken.
PS2 CPU is apparently a 128bit 300mhz jobby, doing a little over 6 gigaflops, whereas the 3.06 is around 12 gigaflops. But since you're talking budget PCs here it isn't all that far off. I have no idea about the 3D performance though, except that I though the PS2 resolution was always something like 640x480.

I think the main difference is in the way the software is designed to accomodate the different types of user, ie optimised for multiple users per machine on a ps2 against multiple users on a machine each for the pc
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 19:14   #76
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

being an ass can be a lot more fun than being nice... thats the thing.
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 19:15   #77
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
PS2 CPU is apparently a 128bit 300mhz jobby, doing a little over 6 gigaflops, whereas the 3.06 is around 12 gigaflops. But since you're talking budget PCs here it isn't all that far off.
The Athlon XP 1800+ can do a little over 6 gigaflops (according to google), and that's not counting the better memory speed, and MUCH better graphics performance. And I'm talking about an Athlon XP 2200+ at the very least (more likely a 2600+)
Unread 29 Feb 2004, 19:16   #78
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebany
Now give poor skiddy some advice on the question he actually ASKED.
Gamecube. Like I said.