User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 12:54   #1
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts
[Declined] Scans 'n' Roids.

Im just sat here thinking and I think it was far better when you had to actually order your Scans. Rather than having an infinite supply as and when you want them (assuming you have enough resources).

It was also alot better when you had to Scan for Roids, then you had uninitiated roids, then you could initiate them.

It was alot alot better when you had to scan for roids, and you got what you were given. A random roid.

I really miss these three features. Would it be good to bring one, two, or all three back? I know I would like it.

I remeber in R2 (or maybe R3) when it started I scanned and found something like 6 E roids in a row, and not a single M or C That was so irritating but adds another nice small feature to the game.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:05   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Scans 'n' Roids.

This idea has been suggested before. We thought it was shit before and we think it's shit now!

Next you'll want to bring back the way that amps and distorters used to work (also a shit idea).
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:07   #3
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga
I remeber in R2 (or maybe R3) when it started I scanned and found something like 6 E roids in a row, and not a single M or C That was so irritating but adds another nice small feature to the game.
That's impossible. Your memory's gone.

When you scanned for roids, the roids you found were all uninitiated. You then had to initiate them with Metal. It was the number of roids found with your scans that was random.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
Next you'll want to bring back the way that amps and distorters used to work (also a shit idea).
I await his thread (agreed)
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:11   #4
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
When you scanned for roids, the roids you found were all uninitiated. You then had to initiate them with Metal. It was the number of roids found with your scans that was random.
There was a round, maybe R1 then, where when you scanned, or initiated, you couldnt choose what it was, it was random.

Last edited by Ginga; 11 Aug 2005 at 13:20.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:18   #5
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Perhaps. I only started playing in Round 3.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:32   #6
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

heh, random initiation.

The game of Planetarion itself was actually a load of bollocks back in the early days (R3, 4,), I don't think many people realise how much better it is today. The only reason we tolerated it is cos there were 100k planets plus and many more people on IRC than we have today. If we had that kind of player base today we'd realise how great the current incarnation of the game could really be
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:40   #7
furball

All it needs is 1 free round, and advertising for that. Add onto that paying by Paypal, and we could double the member base. Unfortunatly, Jolt/SimTech don't seem interested in either.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 13:53   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Round 9.5 was a free round and there were only 12k planets at its peak. I don't know how many of those planets were returning players though, I remember one purge of multi planets that wiped out 1k planets bringing the total number of planets down to 10.5k or so.

Also, I don't know how many of the returning players chose to stay and pay for Round 10, I certainly didn't, I didn't play again for another 2 years. And now that we have free planets I really don't see the point of having a free round. Back then all planets had to be paid, or else you didn't play (crappest idea ever. But then Spinner never was one for good ideas). Now if you don't want to spend your money you can play with a free account and upgrade if you like it.

Increasing the payment options would be a good idea though.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 14:55   #9
furball

As you yourself said, the game is much much better. They would stay if they had a way to pay (Paypal), most people leaving after r9.5 didn't.

Also, Round 10 was a total change for the game...why bother staying and paying? After a free round, people will sign up again with a free account, then upgrade fairly quickly. This game is so addictive that we just need the players back for one round.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 15:54   #10
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Its better and more realistic this way.
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 16:06   #11
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Payment discussion is at http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=186565 and for a while seemed to have some good points.

Silly question, when do things become "Approved" or "Not Approved"?
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Unread 11 Aug 2005, 16:07   #12
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Its better and more realistic this way.
Define exactly how Planetarion is in any way shape or form "realistic".
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 12:41   #13
Ferretus
ARS HQ

Ferretus has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Sorry Ginga, can't say I agree with you on this one. Although random initiated roid scanning could be fun, maybe a protection only feature?

Please bear in mind that much of what I say is intended to cause discussion. It may not reflect my personal favouritism or even have any involvement with my situation. In short bitching at me is pointless, so discuss the idea :-)
Unread 12 Aug 2005, 13:17   #14
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Additionally, I'm not too keen on this idea as it adds a greater element of luck.. and I prefer the current system that gives a guaranteed reward for activity...
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 07:30   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ginga, i get the impression that you are becoming very nostalgic - as all the suggestions you seem to be posting hark back to 'old' pa.

Just because old PA was more fun, i think that was more due to the quantity (and quality) of the characters of those people around you, more than the game itself.

If this type of PA + players from R3 = best ever. Old PA + new playerbase = despair (for virtually everyone).

I reckon.
Unread 13 Aug 2005, 09:39   #16
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Newbie
Just because old PA was more fun, i think that was more due to the quantity (and quality) of the characters of those people around you, more than the game itself..
awww I never knew you cared for me!
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 17:44   #17
smeg9
Ex EL High Command

smeg9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The game of Planetarion itself was actually a load of bollocks back in the early days (R3, 4,), I don't think many people realise how much better it is today. The only reason we tolerated it is cos there were 100k planets plus and many more people on IRC than we have today. If we had that kind of player base today we'd realise how great the current incarnation of the game could really be
I agree, the game was better in the past rounds (overall) I think, and the only reason was because of the number of players, and the quality of these players..

Also I think now it would be great if this happened again.. JOLT have the funding and infrastructure, surely, to keep the servers up and running and coping with such people.

Maybe have a thing where u have initiate (As it is now) unitiated roids) to annoy attackers, Unitiatated roids can be initiated at half the cost that it would cost to initate a M from scratch, so all is not lost..

Just might put another edge to choosing targets....

I think PA/JOLT should allow paypal, AND something like splashplastic, or other E-money system (there are a few now) I remember when I was 14 I used SP to pay for PA then the processing costs were too much, I couldn't play then, as alot of others couldn't.

If this was implemented, and also a heavily advertised Free speed round (thinking 30min Ticks) for three weeks or a month or something... could bring people back...

Now I've digressed like this thread like everyone else.. sorry :P
Unread 14 Aug 2005, 22:45   #18
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Splashplastic is limited in the market - not that many people have heard of it in the grand scheme of things and I believe its only UK only.

I dont think a speed round lasting 3 weeks would be worth it since it would have the same "length" as a normal round
Closed Thread