User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 Dec 2004, 10:11   #1
oabostad

oabostad is an unknown quantity at this point
Playing Pa on my mobilephone

Is it possible to make an easier version of Pa, so i can play with my mobilephone. Iam traveling abit and sometimes it can take a day before i get an line to connect to. I have tried loggin in with my mobilephone (nokia 6600) sometimes but because there is so much picture and stuff on the pages its takes forever to load the page.
oabostad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 10:17   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: Playing Pa on my mobilephone

can u actually login though?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 10:23   #3
oabostad

oabostad is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but i have to first login, and then i have to save the picture with the login question. Then i have to open the picture and zoom it so i can read the question. Then i go back to opera on answer the question. That works. But after that it takes forever to load the pages inside the game.
oabostad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 11:14   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Can you get the text only css working with the mobile? I use because I find PA to be a bit slow even on my adsl connection.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2004, 11:30   #5
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

Jes. I asked Leshy once, he said it's not possible.

We're both using SPV mobile phone to play PA when we're out (in a meeting/working, partying, rl stuffs, etc..), so he teached me though on how to configure my SPV, for the bot page to display readable. Helped a lot during initiation stage.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 09:48   #6
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: [Discuss] Playing Pa on my mobilephone

I'm using a Motorola MPx200 with Smartphone 2002 (Windows CE) on it and it's all good
Login, bot stoper everything
I just turn pics on, go through the bot stopper, then turn my pics off and all the buttons in the menu etc come up as just their rollover text, basically, they all just have their names as if the buttons were there but there are no images..
Much faster, and its a lot cheaper!
I'm using Internet Explorer on my mobile ...
So, no text only skin, I just turn pics off after I've logged in.

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Vencedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2004, 00:08   #7
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Can we get a WAP/GPRS text only version of PA avalable? That would make it so much simpler :-)

Especially for those of us that cannt afford the posh phones or the costly connection costs of the net on mobile phones :-)

Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.

Last edited by Marv; 26 Dec 2004 at 00:09. Reason: Spelling
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2004, 18:52   #8
ils

ils is an unknown quantity at this point

agree, I got a ericson t630 and it takes omfg much time
*Comander of DreamTeam*
EvoL and Dream to tha Bone
ils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 13:52   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

tbh I don;t see this happening becuase of the coding effort involved to make it work well - also how would we get round the problem of the anti bot question?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 17:46   #10
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Mobile phones is a bad idea Pa have tried everything in that dept I think ie texting malarky etc... It aint worth the money.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:17   #11
Kal
Inactive peon

eventually moblie phones will i'm sure be capable of running pa better than they are now, perhaps this should be revisited later?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 23 Mar 2005, 22:54   #12
Xeno
hirr

Xeno will become famous soon enoughXeno will become famous soon enough

I was pissed off the day I no longer could log in with my cellphone, and equally happy the day it once more worked (due to me getting a more advanced phone). Hell, I've been top 50 with a cellphone connection as my only option from 20.00 - 08.00.

My SE P800 (with Opera) handled this perfectly in round 10 (PaX, which was my last round). I'ld say the cellphone is inevitably linked to the game (for the hardcore players) - just look how they've been using SMS for several rounds already. I won't even mention the economical potential this holds...

Xeno
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 19:33   #13
Ginga
Reassuringly Expensive

Ginga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these partsGinga is infamous around these parts

a wap version of pa would be ace
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Apr 2005, 21:06   #14
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm mobile phones will be the new small laptops soon the way they are making them nowadays :P

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Aug 2005, 23:13   #15
stubbsy

stubbsy will become famous soon enoughstubbsy will become famous soon enough

i want mine working on my 6600, but it won't press the god damn login button GRRR
stubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 00:29   #16
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

PA works just fine on my Treo 600. I can login get the bot stopper and everything. I find as long as I use the text only skin it loads reasonably fast. Screen is a little small, but it wide page mode I can get the entire page, I just have to scroll around a bit. I really don't think the PATeam should change the game for mobiles, mobiles are getting better and better at doing webpages, and soon enough the rest of you can join me playing on phones. Now if only they had IRC for my phone.... that would rock!

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2005, 04:24   #17
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

doesnt this open pa to a new market though, dont see why pa shouldnt go with the times tbh
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 12:13   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

i actually think enabling mobile functionality may be bad for the games interests, it starts to encourage activity rather than skill, and the reliance on activity is what is stopping the game from growing.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 7 Aug 2005, 15:40   #19
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
i actually think enabling mobile functionality may be bad for the games interests, it starts to encourage activity rather than skill, and the reliance on activity is what is stopping the game from growing.

It's interesting that you say that Kal, because in my opinion most of the changes to the games since PAX have gone a long way to simplifying the game and therefor making it less a game of skill and more of a game of activity. Things like single class targeting, single tick attacks, ect have really dumbed down the game, it take a lot less skill to play then it used too.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 16:46   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think the skill vs activity ratio is not a problem any more. The introduction of pre-launch almost single-handedly did that, along with the removal of asteroid scans.

Personally I would like phone access, but perhaps limit the number of logins to x per day?
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 20:51   #21
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

Or use a phone that has full HTML internet on it..
Unread 7 Aug 2005, 23:13   #22
Vas
ROCK biatch

Vas is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish it was possible on my phone

[VanX][ToF][xVx][PK][Subh][InS][Omen][Destiny][ROCK]

Proud to been a Member of Gal 1:6 R18
Vas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 09:29   #23
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Can you get the text only css working with the mobile? I use because I find PA to be a bit slow even on my adsl connection.
No problems here :/
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2005, 09:33   #24
Kal
Inactive peon

the in game text only skin should work on any opera based browser be it mobile or normal.

while yes mobile funcitonality maybe useful, mobile phones are going to improve at a fairly high rate to the extent that the question "why devote coding resources to produce a mobile version when the phones iwll be able to play PA just fine soon enough" arrises.

also is it only me that finds it a bit depressing that people want to be able to play PA on their phones.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 8 Aug 2005, 11:42   #25
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
also is it only me that finds it a bit depressing that people want to be able to play PA on their phones.
Is it not just as sad that people stay up till 5/6am each night, yet it still happens and thats how people want to play the game. To be honest although I aggree with you that phones now have the capability to access pa without a developed "wap" version. I still dont see why 4 years ago we had a wap version and now 4 years on we dont.

I guess im going to be told its some kind of bots or summet.
Unread 20 Aug 2005, 12:55   #26
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I found this thread when I did a search for my name, hence I'm a bit late to get to it. It's quite nice to see that people still use the text-only layout! As such, I've updated the CSS file on my site to make a few minor things look better, and to hide the Jolt logo image, which for obvious reasons the ingame skin can't do

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
It aint worth the money.
That is actually the thing that I've argued about in the past. Making PA useable on phones is not a question of money entirely. It is not even a question of having phones with browsers that are fully (X)HTML compliant or support CSS.

The only thing that is required, is so-called semantic markup. Code fully HTML 4.01 compliant pages that do not use a table-based layout, rely on images to function (apart then from the login image, then), and the pages will be usable on any screen, device or browser. I'll fully grant that it's a bit of work and will take some time, but the result will be much wider usability and also much lighter and faster loading pages, saving Planetarion a fair amount of bandwidth. Not to mention that instead of just different skins, people could actually do different layouts, giving far greater control over the look and feel of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
while yes mobile funcitonality maybe useful, mobile phones are going to improve at a fairly high rate to the extent that the question "why devote coding resources to produce a mobile version when the phones iwll be able to play PA just fine soon enough" arrises.
Because "soon enough" may still be a period of several years. It's not just a question of phones with (X)HTML browsers being available, it will also take time before a large amount of people actually start buying these phones. I know more people with a phone that doesn't do Internet, or just some basic WAP, than people who have full Internet access.

Not to mention that bandwidth on mobile phones still does not come cheaply, and as previously stated, Planetarion is all but bandwidth-friendly.
Quote:
Yes, finding a new market for your product is always a bit depressing, especially when you have a very thriving and actively growing market going already.