User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 18:54   #1
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
BlueTuba

I joined Planetarion in mid-Round 2, and the first real alliance I became aware of was BlueTuba. Most likely because of the number of [Tuba] tags on various planets, or simply my friend telling me to avoid BlueTuba galaxies, but whatever the case may be, I actually know very little of early Tubaville.

I'm curious how and/or who founded BlueTuba, and where did they go?
Why 'BlueTuba'?
Was it always in competition with Concordium (later WaC if I'm not mistaken) until it was pitted against Fury and Legion?
Who's bright idea was it to open mass recruitment, and then drop the ball?
Though I know some bit of the 'wing system' BlueTuba employed (from lokken a while back), what purpose was it intended to fill?
Did Patrician really have an affair with Tubaman?
Did lokken feel jealous of the fact?

Responses would be appreciated on TlueBuba's early history.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 19:08   #2
Salomo
Commodore

Salomo is an unknown quantity at this point
seeing BlueTuba in a thread title again somehow made me happy (for a few seonds at least) (although it should be "BlueTubas" imo as it is a natural plural), though i have about as little idea about early tuba as you do

I just know that Lokken and Pat and McIvan and prolly "The Hair" Vaio saved BlueTubas from teh evul mass recruitor

Edited: actually i believe there was a threead about where the name came from some time ago, maybe you can find it if you search a bit...

r1: n00b
r2: 7:11 - T7C HC, WaC(Jr), Sedition HC
r3: 31:25 - Sedition, Century, SL HC
r4: 95:21 - BlueTubas'
r5: 30:5 - BlueTubas, VtS
r6: 33:24:1 - Deus Ex Machina HC, politically retired
r7: 38:22 -> 26:11 - RaH peon
r8: 12:3:4 - Defended by 1:1
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:12   #3
McIvan

The name came from the core round 1 galaxy known as "The Blue Tubamen".

I wasn't part of that, only playing the last 12 days of r1, so others will be far more qualified to answer your questions - possibly Vaio could have a go if the originals such as Obi, Negerslem etc are no longer reading the forums (as they probably aren't ).

I'll have a go at it later if no one else has, I can fill in most of the round 2 details. As a taster, it wasn't really in competition with WaC at all, not at the leadership level anyway.

McIvan
BlueTuba

Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:28   #4
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
negs and chriso read them some times

i cant remember exactly who founded them but i think it was negs obiwan and possiably crywolf though i cant remember r1 is along time ago and i cant remember what i did last week msot of the time
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:34   #5
Torz
Up yours

Torz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud ofTorz has much to be proud of
Mercer!!!
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 20:38   #6
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
BlueTuba were mainly the 4:4 galaxy of Round 1, along with, later on 11:2 of Round 1 also.

Basically, they were a wing, or attack group, of Rinoa's Eclipse, Round 1's second most powerful alliance. When Minako (fking twat box that he is) and Negerslem / Mercernator / other tuba's whos names fail me, had a bit of a falling out, BlueTuba went off to form its own alliance.

Who knows where things went wrong? To be honest I dont, I saw the tuba core at the start of Round 2, a group of dedicated savage players, suddenly become bloated with crap, our growth limited by the sheer volume of naps the HC was enforcing on us at the time.

BlueTuba had planned to take out Fury early on, we had the numbers, and the more dedicated member base to do it, but soon tuba become bloated, stagnant, and it was just a matter of time before we went to war with WaC, or so it was believed.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:02   #7
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
I
Why 'BlueTuba'?
Was it always in competition with Concordium (later WaC if I'm not mistaken) until it was pitted against Fury and Legion?
Though I know some bit of the 'wing system' BlueTuba employed (from lokken a while back), what purpose was it intended to fill?
Did lokken feel jealous of the fact?

Responses would be appreciated on TlueBuba's early history. :)
Rids and McIvan have already provided a general outline, and I'm sure Negs will arrive to fill in the particulars at some point (may be in a month or so though) but here’s my pennies worth:

The founders were 4:4, notable names - Chriso, Negerslem, WMDew (possibly), Mercer, Obi etc. Where they went, well heh :) That was the question those still in Tuba were asking when "the war" broke out, they simply vanished - without a word. Some of them reappeared in OoO in later rounds, others such as WMDew vanished from the PA scene.

Why BlueTuba? The story goes that one of the original members of 4:4 happened to be walking past a music shop and saw an advert for The BlueTuba Men - He named 4:4 accordingly, and as the flagship galaxy the name passed on to the RE splinter.

Competition with WaC? Tension certainly existed (added to the excellent atmosphere of round 2), but we were NAPd up to our ears with just about every overt major alliance - Something was going to break at some point. Tuba was friendly with Concordium round 1, so historically there was little bad blood to spark off on.
One noticeable competition was the 'arms race' in the form of who could get the largest member count though ;)

Who's bright idea was it to recruit half the universe? Who knows which of the HC came up with that gem, certainly they were all more than capable of it. They melted away in stages at some point, only Obi made sporadic appearances to give morale raising (heh) speeches once a month or so during "the war".

The wing (or Division) system... I suspect it was there to handle the sheer numbers. An alliance with 2000 members would have needed to have some de-centralisation, in practice the wings were erratic in their usefulness. Some wings (such as Knights of Ni!) were active and worked as a team, some (Sword of Brass*) did fk all. As the wings weren't necessarily cluster based, their effectiveness in fighting terms was suspect.
Tuba r2 showed how not to run a wing system, just as Xan showed the opposite in later rounds.
The old Tuba HC were fascinated with beurocracy (Europeans eh ;)), Tuba had dozens of departments - few of which had a clear mandate. It seems to me that the wings were an extension of this (with division commanders, sub division commanders, cluster division commanders etc etc)

Sadly myself and the Tubaman fell out after a brief and passionate affair, and I replaced him with the Tuba logo the alliance used up until its closure. I believe Tubaman is releasing a serialisation of his diaries where all the gory details are revealed for the reasonable price of £19.99 (while stocks last).

Lokken was undoubtedly jealous, as he had been attempting to court tubaman since late round 1.

*Much of my memory of those early days has faded into the mists of time, so I'm not sure of the exact name of the "Brass" division (despite the fact I was in it). This applies to the finer details as well.

BlueTuba

Last edited by Patrician; 21 Nov 2002 at 21:08.
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:35   #8
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Tuba > *

Disclaimer:
Ed says: could be unpopular with the public.
Ed says: BUT FK EM
Ed says:
Rich says: nah it would be the win
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:43   #9
Axis_WLF

Axis_WLF is an unknown quantity at this point
umm Warmaster Dew the guy i replaced when he left.
r2 9:23:1 Axis_WLF of Kadan : Blluetuba/Legion
r3 6:24:1 Axis_WLF of kadan : Legion/WolfPack
r4 201:15:1 Octavian of Ostia : Wolfpack
r5 13:6:2 Sun Tzu of Art of War : Legion Command
r6 33:13:?? : Legion Command
r7 15:19:12 Unknown soldier run over by a wagon : Legion Command
R8: 28:8:9 Niccolo Machiavelli of Revera Legatus : TITAN COMMAND BC
R12 ??:??:?? 1up Military Officer
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 21:43   #10
Duke Leto
Semper Facundus

Duke Leto is on a distinguished road
WE called them the Blue Tunas, back in round 2, because they smelled. Why they decided to attack little ol hirr was beyond me, but between WaC and Tuba coming after us, there was little time for cooking mash and selling our confederate hooch to the damnable yanks.

I remember killing a nice big Tuba planet, and because of the naivete of the round, we messaged the rest of his galaxy that we were at war and if they defended, they would be considered hostile as well... and back in those days, people cringed and stepped back, leaving us to roid and pillage and kick a nice big dent in the guys blue fat french horn.

It was nice to be able to look at a galaxy and see who was online and who wasn't....

: )

Leto

R1 - noob
R2 - hirr
R3 - hirr BC
R4 - hirr HC
R5 - hirr HC
R6 - hirr HC
R7 - hirr Senate
R8 - hirr Drug Czar and Pimp Daddy
R9- Manager of "Pron for Homeless" program
R10- Actually gettin some while you suckas played PA
R11- hirr ambassador to Iraq
R12- hirr Minister of Propaganda & "Keeper of the Treats"
Unread 21 Nov 2002, 23:10   #11
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all
heh...From beein in BlueTubas in round 2 (and I was also in the cluster of the original Tuba gal in round 1, they rocked a tad) I can honestly tell how easy it was to get in there.. Frustratingly so as we did have good players wivin our ranks (then again..wiv 2k plrs we'd have to be quite elite not to have a single good plr).. I wasn't really that much active in Tuba, I was in some wing but dont remember which... I usually attacked wiv my gal and especially wiv me buddeh and galmate and fellow tuba Bedwyr.. We pretty much held our own even when Fury attacked us, and quite ineffective at that.. Tbh CpV was more annoying =)
Anyways back to the thread at hand: Crywolf had nothing to do wiv Tuba in round 1 as he was teh major n00b/late starter in round 1

Not much else to add to that..Important stuff has been mentioned already; breakout of RE, bloated, spamming (yeah a lot of OooOOOooOOOmph!!!!!!!1 in them chans, especially when at war), our cute galnames ( most of our gals was eventually tagged [Furby].. I believe my gal was just about first wiv that )...

One of the things that annoyed me most in Tuba was that SLavin had access to our chans when we were at war wiv VtS..And since me and SLavin r m8s he teased me 24/7 Another thing was that most of the BlueTuba ppl actually never expected to get attacked, let alone loose a war so I remember the utter panic in the chans in round 2...aww memories...

Tesla

PS. 1337crew still 0wns most of yer base innit
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 00:04   #12
Axis_WLF

Tuba napped their way into a corner and depleted themselves of targets, it was another thing that killed them r2.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 00:18   #13
randal
boring

randal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to allrandal is a name known to all
as i said in the best alliance round2 thread.. i was browsing through a few old pa files..

and i came over this list of tuba-tagged planets (sadly a bit after their best time).. http://www.randal.de/pa/old/tunas.html ..
and it quite reminded me of those 2:15 tunas.. so i wondered if anyone knew their irc nicks maybe, and knows if they're still around?
not that i knew them.. but they were quite 'k3wL'

also just found a nice pic of that time.. yoda doing the tuba http://www.randal.de/pa/old/yodatuba.jpg

(edit, just had to change urls.. gay provider closed my domain again)

Last edited by randal; 23 Nov 2002 at 15:10.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 02:34   #14
Galadrieth

Galadrieth is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Duke Leto
WE called them the Blue Tunas, back in round 2, because they smelled. Why they decided to attack little ol hirr was beyond me, but between WaC and Tuba coming after us, there was little time for cooking mash and selling our confederate hooch to the damnable yanks.

I remember killing a nice big Tuba planet, and because of the naivete of the round, we messaged the rest of his galaxy that we were at war and if they defended, they would be considered hostile as well... and back in those days, people cringed and stepped back, leaving us to roid and pillage and kick a nice big dent in the guys blue fat french horn.

It was nice to be able to look at a galaxy and see who was online and who wasn't....

: )

Leto
iirc...and i know i do, it was hirr that launched on WaC first, hirr launched a mass attack on Edger..i think, at the time there was talk of it being Fury, but that was dismissed quite quickly.....i remember that incident quite well...have the logs somewhere...

<Arf^> The chance Akujin loses his virginty with another man, Gala, is 83%
Rnd 1 -=Krom of Kromulous-31:3:4=-
Rnd 2 -=Krom of Sumeria-24:15:4=-
Rnd 3 -=RaekOne of Omega=-34:10:4=-
Rnd 4 -=Galadrieth of The Chronic=178:11:3=-
Rnd 5 -=.Nosferatu Of Chaos Without Propechy=31:6:10=-
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 02:59   #15
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
"PinkTuna".

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse a while ago here
BlueTuba were the Chelsea of alliances.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 03:07   #16
Duke Leto
Semper Facundus

Duke Leto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Galadrieth

iirc...and i know i do, it was hirr that launched on WaC first, hirr launched a mass attack on Edger..i think, at the time there was talk of it being Fury, but that was dismissed quite quickly.....i remember that incident quite well...have the logs somewhere...
yep, that was us, the first official lemming run in PA history...

lol...

WE KNOW why WaC was at war with us....

Leto

R1 - noob
R2 - hirr
R3 - hirr BC
R4 - hirr HC
R5 - hirr HC
R6 - hirr HC
R7 - hirr Senate
R8 - hirr Drug Czar and Pimp Daddy
R9- Manager of "Pron for Homeless" program
R10- Actually gettin some while you suckas played PA
R11- hirr ambassador to Iraq
R12- hirr Minister of Propaganda & "Keeper of the Treats"
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 07:01   #17
JBOY
Retired

JBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to allJBOY is a name known to all
Quote:

lol...

Leto

tuba bc

my greatest pa moment

oh the memories that brings back

*sniffle*
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 07:23   #18
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by JBOY
stuff
I quite liked being in tuba aswell
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 09:35   #19
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by randal
as i said in the best alliance round2 thread.. i was browsing through a few old pa files..

and i came over this list of tuba-tagged planets (sadly a bit after their best time).. http://www.randal.de/pa/old/tunas.html ..
and it quite reminded me of those 2:15 tunas.. so i wondered if anyone knew their irc nicks maybe, and knows if they're still around?

also just found a nice pic of that time.. yoda doing the tuba http://www.randal.de/pa/old/yodatuba.jpg

3:11 2 BlueTuba Stevie's Plenet Stevie 1,360 8,270,043 1542

There's me \o/

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 09:37   #20
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Axis_WLF
umm Warmaster Dew the guy i replaced when he left.
Correct me if I am wrong but where you not quite happily passing information to VtS while pretending to be a happy tuba member ?

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 10:10   #21
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Been looking for that. \o/
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 11:59   #22
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:

Twighlight from Legion was still around
k0nah fell off the side of the planet

Not too sure what happened to the others, erm, cant even remember who they are tbh.

18:15 20 BlueTuba Veni Vidi Vici Riddler 2,990 65,091,860 73

THATS ME \o/
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 13:04   #23
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: BlueTuba

Quote:
Originally posted by Patrician

Some wings (such as Knights of Ni!) were active and worked as a team, some (Sword of Brass*) did fk all. As the wings weren't necessarily cluster based, their effectiveness in fighting terms was suspect.

*Much of my memory of those early days has faded into the mists of time, so I'm not sure of the exact name of the "Brass" division (despite the fact I was in it). This applies to the finer details as well.
Sword of Brass irc room seemed to have 3 members Egor, Crywolf, me and never ever anybody else.

Tuba Warriors was a bit more active, with spies

my sig was wrong :/
28:1 6 BlueTuba Jeti Secundus -=Zyth=- 1,100 24,767,714 345

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 19:55   #24
Galadrieth

Quote:

lol...

Leto
Quote:
Originally posted by JBOY

tuba bc

my greatest pa moment

oh the memories that brings back

*sniffle*
Indeed Memories, what made Rnd 2 great for me...
I loved being WaC, almost got a sence of pride from the fact i was Conc..never had that before...nor since....
BRING BACK ROUND 2!!!!

Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:05   #25
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Galadrieth

BRING BACK ROUND 2!!!!

If anyone actually ever suceeds with that can they please please tell me. I miss that game far too much for it to be healthy.

PS Did Blue tuba ever actually manage to get over 10% of the whole universe in r2? It seemed to be their master-plan. Those other alliances with their whole "winning" strategy heh. Bizzare I says.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:15   #26
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
If you think about it, BlueTuba in Round 2 had the 'right idea' to win, but three rounds too early. :/
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:19   #27
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
If you think about it, BlueTuba in Round 2 had the 'right idea' to win, but three rounds too early. :/

The proposition that the only reason they lost was not overwhelming incompetence and a total lack of skill but was in fact 'timing' is the funniest suggestion I've heard since I got told mid-r4 that I now couldn't attack fury planets.

PS That was a joke hobbie.

Last edited by JonnyBGood; 22 Nov 2002 at 20:33.
Unread 22 Nov 2002, 20:26   #28
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
The proposition that the only reason they lost was not overwhelming incompetence and a total lack of skill but was in fact 'timing' is the funniest suggestion I've heard since I got told mid-r4 that I now couldn't attack fury planets.
I was drawing a conclusion based on how 'numbers' affected both rounds.
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 18:08   #29
Barrow|Pony
snadwich fetcher

Barrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond reputeBarrow|Pony has a reputation beyond repute
I was part of FST, a wee wing of BlueTuba...but i hadnt yet discovered the joys of IRC.

I think Thanas, Rogue9, Edgar, Budious, and Egor were in FST for PA...not sure though. Those are the names that stick out. Bless the MSN Zone's Star Wars Rebellion Room. Bringing endless joy (me) to Planetarion.

*cough cough*
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 00:12   #30
Galadrieth

Edger was in WaC
well at least Edger was...im not sure if u mean Edger or there is someone with very simular name..Edgar..apologies if so..
I remember Egor..saw him Rnd 3 or 4, well at elast a planet with his Rnd 1 name...might of been him...

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 01:11   #31
McIvan

Quote:
Originally from HobbieRogue4
I joined Planetarion in mid-Round 2, and the first real alliance I became aware of was BlueTuba. Most likely because of the number of [Tuba] tags on various planets, or simply my friend telling me to avoid BlueTuba galaxies, but whatever the case may be, I actually know very little of early Tubaville.

Negerslem, Obiwan, Chriso, Warmaster Dew, Mercer....I'm sure others can be added.

Warmaster Dew left after the second round of changes to the thieves, felt he didn't want to play in a game being fundamentally changed to disadvantage those he viewed as the better players.

Mercer went back to real life.

Obiwan, Negerslem and I think Chriso, together with some other old timer tubas and Unknown members, formed OoO, Out of Order. There were a number of discussions between our version of BlueTuba and OoO, but they never came to fruition. They wanted a say in command and to summarise we weren't prepared to give them one. There were also a few tensions over poaching members....OoO denied it, but my personal experience and those of the other HC was otherwise: after stepping down from BT HC about 3/4 through R3 I rejoined as a very low key normal galaxy member in Gambit and Lons' galaxy 26:7 in R4 and was immediately approached by two OoO members to leave BT and join them :)

Anyway, the end result was that OoO merged with Wolfpack, with unfortunate results that aren't the topic of this post.

In talking of where the old tubas went, I would like to mention the unpretty one, who went and formed Unknown after deciding that Tuba was finished, taking a fair few BT with them. Happily we managed to prove Yoshi wrong. To my mind Unknown were a sadly underestimated alliance and for a fair portion of R3 I would have rated them as superior to BlueTuba.

There is plenty of room for more stories here, that is only a small fraction. 32:16 could have a bit written about it for certain.

Quote:
Why 'BlueTuba'?
Patrician: "The story goes that one of the original members of 4:4 happened to be walking past a music shop and saw an advert for The BlueTuba Men - He named 4:4 accordingly, and as the flagship galaxy the name passed on to the RE splinter. "

Quote:
BlueTuba's birth came about because it did NOT want to attack The Concordium. At that stage, it was a part of Rinoa's Eclipse. Minako, the leader of RE at the time, wanted to work with C7R (later Fury) to hit Conc, Obiwan and others disagreed. Obi and Sid never did get on :) Nodrog had quite a bit to say about this at the time, and for quite some time afterwards. I have the strong impression that the remainder of RE felt betrayed by this action.

As an aside, people reading may not know that RE eventually became ReBorn, the name coming from a traumatic period in their alliance history resulting from Minako (I think) leaving the alliance and purporting to disband it.

Anyways, BlueTuba split and went its own way, comprised of extremely good players. They had a claim to the top galaxy in Round 1, although there's more than one galaxy claimed that spot, which I wouldn't mind hearing an explanation of. The thought just occurred to me that for that brief period of time you could have likened them to R2 Legion in numbers/quality - possibly why many of the best, such as Mostly Harmless, ended up within their ranks. Unfortunately for BT this period didn't last.

Round 2 arrived, and clearly in the early stages the two potential protagonists were WaC (We are Concordium) and BlueTuba. WaC kept very very quiet for quite some time, believing that if they identified themselves they'd be cnutted by the vengeful peasantry, but finally tagged themselves. I believe that lack of information about the size of WaC may have contributed to the excessive recruiting of BT.

The problem with getting a fight out of BT and WaC was that the leadership knew each other and didn't want to fight. The members may have felt differently, but I don't believe that the leadership on either side did. I don't think they wanted to jeopardise their position and allow up and comers like Fury to sneak through while they fought it out...so they maintained the status quo. That's not "competition" as you would normally understand the term.

One thing I absolutely cannot figure out is why we had NAP's with so many smaller alliances.

Quote:
I don't personally think it was anyone's idea. The major problem was lack of control over recruitment, so that there was no actual decision as such. Division Commanders could approve applications. I had no PA experience apart from 12 days of R1 in a devasated gx (which taught me nothing), but I got in a few weeks into round 2 on the basis of knowing Mercer from a 20 person play by email strat/diplomacy game, in which the block I led had just wiped him and his ally. It was who you knew, not necessarily "what" you knew.

Adding more members was not clamped down on out of what I think was desire to maintain the appearance of parity with WaC. I have no actual knowledge of the then HC rationale.

Quote:
I believe that the divisions were originally just what we know as attack groups now. They were BT's round 1 attack groups, and apparently they rocked then, but with the recruitment they grew more and more bloated until it was too much work for a Division Commander who was generally bored and disinterested in the stagnant game anyway.

Patrician: "The wing (or Division) system... I suspect it was there to handle the sheer numbers. An alliance with 2000 members would have needed to have some de-centralisation, in practice the wings were erratic in their usefulness. Some wings (such as Knights of Ni!) were active and worked as a team, some (Sword of Brass*) did fk all. As the wings weren't necessarily cluster based, their effectiveness in fighting terms was suspect.

Tuba r2 showed how not to run a wing system, just as Xan showed the opposite in later rounds.
The old Tuba HC were fascinated with beurocracy (Europeans eh ;)), Tuba had dozens of departments - few of which had a clear mandate. It seems to me that the wings were an extension of this (with division commanders, sub division commanders, cluster division commanders etc etc)"

Quote:
Wouldn't at all surprise me :) His actions in foully doing away with said Tubaman have all the hallmarks of a jilted lover :)

Patrician: "Sadly myself and the Tubaman fell out after a brief and passionate affair, and I replaced him with the Tuba logo the alliance used up until its closure. I believe Tubaman is releasing a serialisation of his diaries where all the gory details are revealed for the reasonable price of £19.99 (while stocks last)."

I rest my case :)

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 03:35   #32
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

CryWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tesla
Crywolf had nothing to do wiv Tuba in round 1 as he was teh major n00b/late starter in round 1
I joined Tuba right after the break from Rinoa's Eclipse ;-) Was between rounds I believe.. (1-2)

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
Sword of Brass irc room seemed to have 3 members Egor, Crywolf, me and never ever anybody else.
heh.. Ai.. was never more than 3 members in that room.. ;-)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rids
Who knows where things went wrong? To be honest I dont, I saw the tuba core at the start of Round 2, a group of dedicated savage players, suddenly become bloated with crap, our growth limited by the sheer volume of naps the HC was enforcing on us at the time.
One of the reasons why I feel round 3 was more enjoyable than round 2, I didnt have to deal with all those annoying naps..

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."

Last edited by CryWolf; 25 Nov 2002 at 03:42.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 05:25   #33
Axis_WLF

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio

Correct me if I am wrong but where you not quite happily passing information to VtS while pretending to be a happy tuba member ?

Vaio

I was Legion at the time spying on tuba aye.
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 13:21   #34
MysticYoshi

Quote:
Originally posted by McIvan

In talking of where the old tubas went, I would like to mention the unpretty one, who went and formed Unknown after deciding that Tuba was finished, taking a fair few BT with them. Happily we managed to prove Yoshi wrong. To my mind Unknown were a sadly underestimated alliance and for a fair portion of R3 I would have rated them as superior to BlueTuba.

There is plenty of room for more stories here, that is only a small fraction. 32:16 could have a bit written about it for certain.

I have to admit I was wrong, and Lokken/Pat built BT up very well over quite a long period of time.

Unknown did very well, had good members and had good alliance ties forming.
We even had possibilities of allying with some big alliances, but unfortunatly Red and a few others bias messed it all up and I left due to exam stress + that stress, Unknown kind of went down the creek after that as no-one was there to develp alliance ties and 'steer' things how I wanted it (gosh aren't I modest)
We were capable of taking down a top 50 galaxy down with TPE at our peak, and it was a great and fun time.

Unknown was kind of born out of the fall of R2 BT, I didn't want to stay a part of an alliance that I'd put so much hope in then the HC just deserted us, including my r1 gal mate Obi. But hey those things were a long time ago now, and glad to say I still see past Unknown players and BT players around on irc and through the rounds.

You know it's very odd, all this seems a long time ago now, I was still at sixth form. It also depresses me the amount of good friends I have made through pa that I won't/don't have contact with again

Yoshi

P.S
I am not unpretty :(

P.P.S
Knights of Ni! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> All the other wings :))

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 13:23   #35
MysticYoshi

Quote:
Originally posted by Axis_WLF

I was Legion at the time spying on tuba aye.
Tuba spies rocked

<TubaSpy> WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!11111 I NEED DEFENCE!!!11111

etc

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 16:03   #36
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

I think I was in bluetuba as well Yoshi.......

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 22:49   #37
McIvan

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I think I was in bluetuba as well Yoshi.......

Vaio
I remember you....you were the long haired bloke that sat in the corner

Unread 25 Nov 2002, 23:42   #38
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Quote:

Glad someone remembered I was there

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 26 Nov 2002, 17:53   #39
MysticYoshi

Your point Vaio? :P

Unread 27 Nov 2002, 03:33   #40
Ubdar
The ÜberCanadian

Ubdar is an unknown quantity at this point
I was in BlueTuba =D
pm me on irc when you get the chance Vaio
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 11:32   #41
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

he wears leather jackets and texts abuse about green jumpers as well =[
Unread 28 Nov 2002, 11:46   #42
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by lokken

he wears leather jackets and texts abuse about green jumpers as well =[
good GC tho

gotta love him
Unread 30 Nov 2002, 19:18   #43
mongob0ffel
w00t?

mongob0ffel is an unknown quantity at this point
Ooooomph!!!!
R6: WolfPack / Adelante
R8: Adelante / Fury
R9: WolfPack

mongob0ffel
Unread 3 Dec 2002, 03:21   #44
AndyK
KingMonkey!

AndyK is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Anyways, BlueTuba split and went its own way, comprised of extremely good players. They had a claim to the top galaxy in Round 1, although there's more than one galaxy claimed that spot, which I wouldn't mind hearing an explanation of.
You'll no doubt hear other explanations, but here's mine:

At the end of rnd 1, there were 3 galaxies very close to the top - 7:2, Sid's C7R galaxy, the Tubamen of 4:4 and their recent recruits at 11:2. The confusion arose because it was never entirely clear who was actually top at the designated end of round, some time before ticks actually stopped, and at least one time 5S posted a final top 100 that was actually taken a tick before the game ended.

The last few ticks of the game basically involved most of the galaxy launching on either the #1 planet or 1:1:1. Neither battle took place due to the servers being unable to handle so many ships. The three aforementioned galaxies were mostly busy trying to edge the lead in the galaxy race. The tiny remnant of c1a, which had spent most of the round getting thrashed by Conc, decided to try to help C7R get the top spot from the current leaders and "Conc sympathisers" in 4:4, and launched a sneak attack on the 8 or 9 smallest planets in 4:4 along with a moderately large though doomed diversionary attack on the largest. This had the desired effect of hitting 4:4's score where it was most vulnerable, the few million points they lost helping to knock them back into third place.

My belief is that c7R were the number 1 galaxy on the appointed tick, but I 'm not 100% sure they didn't actually take the #1 spot the following tick. I believe the "official" winners were 11:2, but as I already stated that result was drawn from the tick previous to the stated end time.
Unread 16 Dec 2002, 10:43   #45
McIvan

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
PS Did Blue tuba ever actually manage to get over 10% of the whole universe in r2? It seemed to be their master-plan. Those other alliances with their whole "winning" strategy heh. Bizzare I says.
Oh yeah, that was one other thing I've been meaning to correct :)

The estimates of BT's round 2 size increase every time I hear 'em...time having much the same effect as it does on fishing stories, it seems.

To set the record straight, BT topped out at six hundred and something. Although at one stage a little over 1,000+ members were showing on Tahmer, the other 400 or so were fake tags.

10% of the universe then would have been about 2,750.

McIvan
BlueTuba

Unread 16 Dec 2002, 18:22   #46
CryWolf
Muad'Dib

CryWolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Oh yeah, that was one other thing I've been meaning to correct

The estimates of BT's round 2 size increase every time I hear 'em...time having much the same effect as it does on fishing stories, it seems.

To set the record straight, BT topped out at six hundred and something. Although at one stage a little over 1,000+ members were showing on Tahmer, the other 400 or so were fake tags.

10% of the universe then would have been about 2,750.

McIvan
BlueTuba
and prolly 50-100 of those were active ;-) at most..

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 01:08   #47
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
I have survived to the BT day ( attackers' side )
Unread 17 Dec 2002, 02:41   #48
Androme

AbutEulb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

Unread 22 Dec 2002, 14:04   #49
Karmulian

God i saw the title and felt a twinge of nostalgia

readin the htread i realise quite how much i have forgotten about BT

they were definelty the best alliance i ever was part of
(admittedly i have only been in 3)

not really much i can say except

/me salutes tubaman
and of course

Ooooomph

Unread 25 Dec 2002, 01:47   #50
Sun Pin

Sun Pin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Salomo
seeing BlueTuba in a thread title again somehow made me happy (for a few seonds at least)
it sure didnt make me happy, Blue Tuba reminds me of r5 when i got a message : "We are the Blue Tuba and we're gonna kick you to a place far far far far way"
the next min i recived 16k of hostile incomming(early round so that was alot) and my gal was so full of cowards that they didnt dare to defend me even though i knew them in rl

No-D
Closed Thread