User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:21   #1
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Zwan

The tale of Zwan.

In 2000, The Smashing Pumpkins split up, leaving behind 5 albums, ranging from the good (eg. Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness) to the absolutely dire (admittedly, this was just the rediculously named MACHINA: The Machines of God). Billy Corgan then mucked around for a while, playing keyboards in New Order mostly, until last year when he formed the band Zwan, which also contained another former Pumpkin, the drummer Jimmy Chamberlin. Their album is out soonish, and their first single ('Honesty') was out today.

Q described the album as a much happier piece of business from Corgan, going from the band's logo (a silly affair with rainbows and guitars) to the comparative lack of angst.

That doesn't stop the single sounding like it was written for the second disk of Mellon Collie.

From this example I would presume that the album will sound like Mellon Collie, but leaning more towards Tonight, Tonight and the like rather than Zero or Bullet With Butterfly Wings.

In short,

The Smashing Pumpkins are back.

Effectively.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:27   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Hope the ablum will be nice.
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:27   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Q gave it 4 stars, which is the same that they gave Mellon Collie, so we can but hope.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:28   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

ps everyone post on this thread to stop the dance thread from monopolising the music posts.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:28   #5
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Zwan

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
In short,

The Smashing Pumpkins are back.

Effectively.
No.

While Zwan's sound may parallel the Pumpkins' sound through less angst-ridden vocals, it is not the Pumpkins, nor will it ever be the Pumpkins.

While Corgan was the "voice" of the Pumpkins, James Iha was the brains behind much of the "sound" and the both of them combined talents that made the Pumpkins what they were. It won't be the same.

"Honesty" is a crappy song anyway. Heh.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:29   #6
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Hm..are these Q people reliabale?
I know 1000's of good albums that got ****ty ratings, and 1000's of bad albums that got great ratings. But then, it really is just a matter of taste..
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:29   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Zwan

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
No.

While Zwan's sound may parallel the Pumpkins' sound through less angst-ridden vocals, it is not the Pumpkins, nor will it ever be the Pumpkins.
Billy Corgan having written all but a track and a half of Mellon Collie.

Anyway, I was just generalising for the masses.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:31   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
Hm..are these Q people reliabale?
I know 1000's of good albums that got ****ty ratings, and 1000's of bad albums that got great ratings. But then, it really is just a matter of taste..
They gave OK Computer 5 stars, and (What's The Story) Morning Glory 2. They get my vote.

I trust them in isolated areas.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:33   #9
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
I liked "Honestly" and "Desire", but have been left slightly disappointed by other songs (see "El Sol", "Baby Let's Rock" et al).

I'll be downloading more before I commit to buying the album.

PS. Adore was surely worse than Machina!
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:33   #10
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: Re: Zwan

Quote:
Billy Corgan having written all but a track and a half of Mellon Collie.
I'm a bigger fan of Siamese Dreams anyway.

Quote:
Anyway, I was just generalising for the masses.
The masses are stupid when it comes to music. The masses being the "TRL generation." At least in my country. :/
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:37   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Re: Re: Zwan

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
I'm a bigger fan of Siamese Dreams anyway.
I think you mean 'Dream', sexy.

imo they peak at MC, Adore's quite good but MACHINA's just silly.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:40   #12
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Zwan

Quote:
I think you mean 'Dream', sexy.
Staring at the case, I now realize my folly.

:((((
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:50   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
Having just acquired Honestly I can say Im not impressed.

Corgan without angst just isnt good
His vocal style suits Zero, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Cherub Rock or Ava Adore much more (rhyme ahoy) than Tonight, Tonight or what have you, but that doesn't mean it's a bad song.

Although Honestly could be better.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 16:59   #14
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Iniluki
I will download some Zwan now*

*from a legal source!
Like http://www.poetsofzwan.com/?mp=media ?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 17:19   #15
Grimble
Banned

Grimble is an unknown quantity at this point
I was hoping it would be an improvement from MACHINA, but so far the new material has really stuck me as quite bland. I miss the pumpkins
Grimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 17:40   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
i imagime that my housemate will buy it within the week, so if theis thread is still active by then (which i doubt) i will give an opinion
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 19:22   #17
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Grimble
I was hoping it would be an improvement from MACHINA, but so far the new material has really stuck me as quite bland. I miss the pumpkins
Bland is better than MACHINA
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 20:05   #18
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
It can't possibly be any worse than that lime green one whatever it's called.

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 20:16   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
It can't possibly be any worse than that lime green one whatever it's called.
Pisces Iscarot?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 20:19   #20
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Pisces Iscarot?
No idea what the song's called, but they're in a LIME GREEN room and Billy Corgan looks scary.

Oh, and the song sucks.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 20:33   #21
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Hobbie is closer

Adore was just a ****ed up album though, it was a completely different sound than much of the rest of their material.

If they were going to write music in that style they could at least have done it the old fashioned way as they did with soma the one with the REM guitarist guesting on it from their second album.

And yet, in this annoying fashion the pumpkins have, I liked it, I still feature many of the songs from it in my playlists, and hell even stand inside your love makes it onto it on occasions although much of that album is a complete wank fest.

But the pumpkins are not back. The sound of the pumpkins might be, but in essence that doesn't make them it. Just because creed sound hella like Pearl Jam does it mean Eddie veder has taken up new roots? Bollocks does it.

James Iha was and will remain much of the inspiration and talent behind the Pumpkins music. Jimmy Chamberlin is just a lost it crack head anyway, so him coming back isn't a great thing anyone remember machina btw?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 20:59   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Sarina_Joy
No idea what the song's called, but they're in a LIME GREEN room and Billy Corgan looks scary.

Oh, and the song sucks.
The Everlasting Gaze
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:05   #23
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
The Everlasting Gaze
:eek:
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:13   #24
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
leaving behind 5 albums
there were actually 7 albums ya fool

siamese dream
gish
pisces iscariot
MACHINA: THe machines of god
MACHINA II (only ever realeased in limited amounts and available over the net from what i recall)
adore
mellon collie

and you could even say 8 if you were willing to count the greatest hits
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:35   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Re: Re: Zwan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
and you could even say 8 if you were willing to count the greatest hits
I didn't count MACHINA2, and pisces is a collection of B-sides.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:41   #26
Ap0k
Spritely:

Ap0k is an unknown quantity at this point
still albums however
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:42   #27
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Ap0k
still albums however
'Proper albums' then.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:55   #28
Erkenbrand
Moody

Erkenbrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Strangely enough the albums been out here (Ireland) for the past 2 weeks, with an excellent bonus DVD. I guess we're finally ahead in something.

Anywho, Corgan always was the other musical genius of the 90's, yet he went down a route that I wasn't that interested in, leading to the awful MACHINA.

At the risk of over simplifying, if you liked the pumpkins circa Siamese Dream, you'll like this. Its full of beautiful 'summer' songs like 'Lyric' and 'Settle Down'. The set piece 'Jesus, I/ Mary Star of the Sea' is equaly gorgeous, seguing from one mesmirising arrangement to another overan epic fourteen minutes. Amazingly (and unlike some of his past attempts at this), it seems not even a fraction to long.

If you come to this album with an open mind, free of pumpkin comparisons, you'll find the album of 2003 so far.

BTW When is the U.K release date?
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:58   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

It's out now, I just haven't bought it yet.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 21:59   #30
Erkenbrand
Moody

Oh and if your counting pumpkin albums you left out the rather ****e Earphoria
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 22:01   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Erkenbrand
Oh and if your counting pumpkin albums you left out the rather ****e Earphoria
Lets narrow it down to 5 good albums, excluding Rotten Apples.

Gish, Siamese, Mellon Collie, Adore and Picses.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 22:09   #32
Erkenbrand
Moody

Ok, Im really not trying to play the pedant here BUT I would consider the uber-secret 'Mashed Potatoes' CD set to contain some of their best work.

P.S You'd want to get out sharpish and buy the CD before the FREE, LIMITED ADDITION, BONUS DVD is taken away.
Unread 24 Feb 2003, 22:13   #33
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Quote:
From hearing it once it's not good enough for Mellon Collie. Having said that, a lot of my favourite songs from that album (1979, in the arms of sleep) I didn't really like at first. It could be a grower. I don't like the repetitive swirly guitar bit at the end, but as I have said it will probably grow on me.

Edit: I've listened to it a few times now, and it has grown on me as predicted. I have to say it reminds me more of Dinosaur Jr than anything the Pumpkins ever recorded.

Last edited by Sarina_Joy; 24 Feb 2003 at 22:18.