User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Oct 2002, 11:06   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
<geekmode>Discworld</geekmode>

Anyone got the new book yet?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 11:10   #2
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
didn't know there was a new book. i'm still somewhere into the 10th or somehting so a long way until i get there anyways (if ever).
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 11:14   #3
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
last one i bought was thief of time.

i have all of them except for "guards! guards!" because Luka lamberti is a fat piece of **** who cant have a can of beer without puking all over ppl's books. hmm, still waiting for a new copy from the fat italian piece of **** actually...

sorry, i'm bitter about it.

i'm waiting for the next one to come out on paper back
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 12:18   #4
mogrika

Re: <geekmode>Discworld</geekmode>

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarak
Anyone got the new book yet?
it comes out on the 4th of november according to amazon, and i have it pre-ordered \o/

the synopsis looks a little weird though.

VIMES GOES BACK IN TIME!

breathtaking.
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 14:07   #5
Xillah

Re: Re: <geekmode>Discworld</geekmode>

Quote:
Originally posted by lag_boy

i dont understand where your coming from there!

explain?!?!
i have all the diskworld books up to 'thief of time' in my book case. We were going on holiday and my m8, luka, wanted to lend one. I wouldnt because i knew he would **** the book up (i like to keep them in fairly good condition). anyway after he bitched for a while i lent him "guards! guards!" (as its a pretty good one to get into if your starting to read the books) on the condition that if he messed up the book he'd replace it with a new copy. First night there the twat spills beer all over the book, its just a little wet, its still good, its still good. third day there hit gets soaked after he leaves it next to the pool, its just a little wrinkled, its still good, it's still good. Then one night in the second week he comes in pissed and pukes all over the book (and his clothes hohoho ), its now red from after shock and has dried half digested burger chunks all over it.

I am still waiting for my new fresh copy, i'd forgot all about it till this thread reminded me.

Quote:
Originally posted by mogrika

VIMES GOES BACK IN TIME!

breathtaking.
I bet he goes back and meets 'stone face' vimes, and i bet it turns out he was a really good guy (or a really really bad one)
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 14:13   #6
Xillah

Re: Re: Re: <geekmode>Discworld</geekmode>

Quote:
Originally posted by Xillah

I bet he goes back and meets 'stone face' vimes, and i bet it turns out he was a really good guy (or a really really bad one)
ah well, i just lost all my money

Quote:
British author Pratchett's storytelling, a clever blend of Monty Pythonesque humor and Big Questions about morality and the workings of the universe, is in top form in his 28th novel in the phenomenally bestselling Discworld series (The Last Hero, etc.). Pragmatic Sam Vimes, Commander of Ankh-Morpork's City Watch, can't complain. He has a title, his wife is due to give birth to their first child any moment and he hasn't had to pound a beat in ages but that doesn't stop him from missing certain bits of his old life. Thank goodness there's work to be done. Vimes manages to corner a murderer, Carcer, on the library dome at Unseen University during a tremendous storm, only to be zapped back in time 30 years, to an Ankh-Morpork where the Watch is a joke, the ruling Patrician mad and the city on the verge of rebellion. Three decades earlier, a man named John Keel took over the Night Watch and taught young Sam Vimes how to be a good cop before dying in that rebellion. Unfortunately, in this version of the past, Carcer has killed Keel. The only way Vimes can hope to return home and ensure he has a future to return home to is to take on Keel's role. The author lightens Vimes's decidedly dark situation with glimpses into the origins of several of the more unique denizens of Ankh-Morpork. One comes away, as always, with the feeling that if Ankh-Morpork isn't a real place, it bloody well ought to be.
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 14:40   #7
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Re: Re: <geekmode>Discworld</geekmode>

Quote:
Originally posted by mogrika

it comes out on the 4th of november according to amazon, and i have it pre-ordered \o/

the synopsis looks a little weird though.

VIMES GOES BACK IN TIME!

breathtaking.
yeah it does but loads of shops have released it prior to the offical publishers release date :/

haven't been able to find a copy yet here tho
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 14:40   #8
GavGull
Here Today

GavGull is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be buying mine when Mr. Pratchett comes to a book signing in the shop next to my workplace.
GavGull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 15:00   #9
mogrika

Quote:
Originally posted by GavGull
I'll be buying mine when Mr. Pratchett comes to a book signing in the shop next to my workplace.
*makes opening and closing motions with his hand and pulls a face*
Unread 29 Oct 2002, 15:28   #10

Always meant to read some of the dsicowrld series, but im still plodding through the Greg Bear back catalogue...