User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 23 Oct 2002, 15:11   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Electronics: Infared beam

Now I've played around with electronics for two days, I want to make something "fun".
The "plan" is to make somekind of simple "laser" "game" with IR transmitters and photocells. The only question I can't get answered by google is how I can make a narrow IR-beam, rather than a random "wide" emission like your ordinary TV remote transmits.

I know I can get standard laser-emitters from various electronics-sites, but I want to do this the cheap, and non-laser way.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Oct 2002, 23:07   #2
Dudels

Use a small funnel. Put the light into the big end and it will come out the small end.

Some reflectors and lenses may help too.

I'm elecrtronically/scientifically retarded, btw; those are just ideas.
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 08:47   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Dudels
I'm elecrtronically/scientifically retarded, btw; those are just ideas.
You got one thing right

Sorry, I shouldn't really say that as I have nfi either.
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 13:34   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"Funnels" won't work - it's simply spread out again as soon as it gets out the other end.

I *think* the way those cheapo LazerQuest/MegaZone 'clones' you get in stores like Argos simply use a fairly powerful IR bulb/diode and lenses - if you use whichever lens it is that makes the beam focus inwards (cocave,covex - can't remember) you could have something like this:

Code:

>----------               Focal Point
 >          ----------         !
 >                    ----------
 >          ----------
 >----------
Where the thing with the '>''s is the lens.
That would focus it in towards a certain distance - past the focul point would be "out of range" as the beam would be too weak to set off the sensor due to standard inverse square falloff. Although the beam is of course falling off all the way to the focul point, it is also becomming more concentrated due to the focussing - it would be up to you to get the right emitter and lenses so that the strength stayed fairly consistent (or at least strong enough to trigger your sensor) up to the focul point.
With the right kit you might manage a range of 10 or 20 meters - similar to what you get with those 'clones' anyway.

That's my idea anyway.

Last edited by meglamaniac; 27 Oct 2002 at 13:39.
meglamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 13:39   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
a concave lens is a converging lens

but will that work with IR won't you get some kind of interference?

(i have no idea how this sort of 'wide-beam' emmiter thingy works )
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 13:41   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
When he says wide beam, I assume he's just talking about the standard spread of IR 'light' from the diode or whatever.
IR is close enough to visible wavelengths for optical lenses to work still.