User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 Aug 2004, 10:44   #51
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: People who've ****ed up Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
If i was gonna do a masters id do it in a subject related to m degree (i'm thinking Forensics).

However if i did that it would just mean id get a "decent" job instead of the shit one im in atm.

As such i'm more inclined to go get a business degree with which i can earn lodsa money.
well then look round the business schools. my girlfriend has just done a masters in marketing, which she paid about 8k for. though she is Chinese and they have to pay more for some unknown reason.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 11:41   #52
RealJames
Retired at the top

RealJames is infamous around these parts

I screwed up my degree because of PA, beer, uni life in general. I graduated two years ago and this is my second non-shite job, and I'm not sure if I'm even going to keep it.

I'm 12 grand down to the student loans people, not paid a penny, and seven down to HSBC and struggling to repay it.

Additionally, I did work part-time through most of my degree.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB

Last edited by RealJames; 31 Aug 2004 at 12:14. Reason: Additional
RealJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 11:44   #53
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
well then look round the business schools. my girlfriend has just done a masters in marketing, which she paid about 8k for. though she is Chinese and they have to pay more for some unknown reason.
Usually cost between 4.5k and 6k for uk residents.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 11:53   #54
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames
I screwed up my degree because of PA, beer, uni life in general. I graduated two years ago and this is my second non-shite job, and I'm not sure if I'm even going to keep it.

I'm 12 grand down to the student loans people, not paid a penny, and seven down to HSBC and struggling to repay it.
woah you spent the same on beer that i did :P

15k student loan, 3k to hsbc. 1k to egg and repaying all but the loan by march
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 11:57   #55
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

I am about to start my Third Year, and apart from the 6k to the Student Loan Company (Or whatever the **** they want to call themselves now) I have money in my student account, and have paid off all credit card bills

I am like some goddamn freak of nature
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:02   #56
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I put myself through university by actually working. So no debts. The most I had to borrow was €500 from my overdraft to go to my repeat fees.
Payed that of eventually when I managed to shake the long spell of unemployment a few months back.

Graduating in 2 weeks. Worthless degree. Shit career area. Fan-****ing-tastic.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:03   #57
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
I put myself through university by actually working. So no debts. The most I had to borrow was €500 from my overdraft to go to my repeat fees.
Payed that of eventually when I managed to shake the long spell of unemployment a few months back.

Graduating in 2 weeks. Worthless degree. Shit career area. Fan-****ing-tastic.
but you also have no debt.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:03   #58
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

I'm about to start my third year, i owe £6000 to student loan company (+3000 for final year), £1250 to overdraft, however ive managed to save a fair bit in my ISA's (jobs, milking parents, past savings), and i have about £6200 there, and will get another £1300 or so this month. My ISA will go into paying off all my debts (parents are paying for a fair bit of it). I hate this idea of staying in debt for a long time. Paying interest is a silly concept.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:06   #59
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

you know the slc charge you quite a bit for actually paying off your loan right ?
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:12   #60
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
you know the slc charge you quite a bit for actually paying off your loan right ?
How much? I was intending in paying around £100 PM after I graduate (the interest rate is low enough to not really worry about it if I remember correctly)
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:16   #61
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quazi Starbucks
How much? I was intending in paying around £100 PM after I graduate (the interest rate is low enough to not really worry about it if I remember correctly)
That was the impression I was under.

However, I'm still yet to pay them anything.

"That's what the internet's for - slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards, J&SBSB
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 12:28   #62
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
can't remember. it may say on their website.
nope doesnt.

best bet is to ring them and ask
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 13:38   #63
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
hey weeks is weeks again, yay
yay \o/

anyway dace i was looking at computer programming jobs for grads and they were offering around 20k, although the computing, espically game programming, sector is completely ****ed up. Most people are telling grads to do a masters and wait till the market picks up.

Last edited by Weeks; 31 Aug 2004 at 13:55.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 13:53   #64
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
can't remember. it may say on their website.
nope doesnt.

best bet is to ring them and ask
the interest rate will be on your last loan statement (u get one at the end of each academic year)

its pretty small

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 13:54   #65
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
but you also have no debt.
Can I hire you as my offical "positive outlook" guy?

I just converted my yearly salary into £ STG to have a look...I scared myself. I earn a grand total of £12,800 STG before tax per year, after 4 years of university. I was told that if I stick at this job and get 6 months experience, that I could possibly be employable in a job that pays €2000 (£1,350)more! Oh lucky me!

I just got my first pay raise though. A grand total of €282.10 over the year. Before tax. That's €5.42 a week.

Heh.

Heh heh...*cries*

I applied for other jobs and its that fking Catch 22 situation again, I have no experience so I cant get a job. I can't get experience as I can't get a ****ing job cause I have no ****ing experience!

If I was earning £12,800 in the UK would I qualify for housing benifit or something? Here I'm earning 50% too much to qualify for anything, no Medical Card (means I have to pay for everything from Doctors appointments to Hospital stays), no welfare, no housing assistance, no job help.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 13:56   #66
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If I was earning £12,800 in the UK would I qualify for housing benifit or something?
No.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 13:56   #67
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

What hell hole do you live in? Country-wise.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:01   #68
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
What hell hole do you live in? Country-wise.
Ireland.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:13   #69
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

high cost of living there innit ?
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:36   #70
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
high cost of living there innit ?
Second highest in the EU, just behind Finland methinks. So it's not a great place to live when you earn **** all.
It was that fking tech boom in the 90's, it screwed us more than most countries. We had huge inflation, utterly rediculous house prices then a crash. The prices never came down, just went up and up, while the average earnings went down and down.

The reason is the 10% of the population who own 80% of the wealth ****ing with us. They manipulate prices and keep property prices hugely inflated so they keep earning money.

It'll all crash eventually. Don't know when though.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:37   #71
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

move somewhere better.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:57   #72
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On-topic (sort of), after three years of University my starting salary was something like £11,000. This then went to £13,500 after six months.

I've sort of got a job now which pays £22k, but since I graduated three years ago I don't see that as much of an advance.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:59   #73
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

im on 12k atm however after bills 50% of that is pure profit.
this will increase at xmas
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 14:59   #74
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Quote:
move somewhere better.

Sure, I'll get right on that.

Any suggestions? I only have English as a language (my French is awful and Irish isn't really an international language). Very little practical experience in my "field", not sure what my field is, seem to fall into Tech Support for some reason.

Have €1,453 in the bank.

How far will that get me?

Honestly, anyone know where there are some reasonable paying IT jobs, or any other reasonable paying normal joe-soap jobs, someplace thats nice to live?
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 15:15   #75
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quote:
Honestly, anyone know where there are some reasonable paying IT jobs, or any other reasonable paying normal joe-soap jobs,
someplace thats nice to live?
I get paid £9.80/h while at uni, but the job requires a lot of knowledge about netwoking and the inner workings of PC's/Mac's/Linux (Gnome and KDE) and work as a normal tech support guy for about 6 months previously.

By the way, once you realise your degree is worth **** all compared to 1 year experience in the field then you will be a happier person. (I have about 2 years in a tech support role, and I got moved up to Tier 2 by simply asking at the right time)

Getting a good job is based on these 3 factors

- Good Degree
- Experience
- Luck

A good Degree is 2-1 or a First. In fact a fun little comment here, my housemate has a First in Computer Science, he was adamant that the "System Idle Process" controlled keyboard inputs, mouse inputs etc. Stuff at a kernel level. It took a lot of convincing and explaining how a microprocessor works for him to finally grasp this. Anyone can study for what they need to, experience and knowledge of the field is worth a lot more than a degree.

I say again Experience > Degree.

Oh, and NTL Tech Support IS FAR from recruiting, in fact as of tomorrow it is outsourced to IBM and Manpower
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 15:32   #76
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

Well I'm ****ed then as I'll be getting a bare degree. No hons or anything. Stopped caring in 3rd year. And yeah, I know experience counts for more than the degree. The entire problem is I cant get experience as I cant get a totally relevant job, as I've no experience.

I'm in a call centre at the moment. The bottom feeders of the IT Support world. I could have done this job 4 years ago,I could have done it right out of school. I learned nothing useful from university. It's left me somewhat bemused at the whole system.
The issue is, I have plenty of hardware and PC experience, I have a good deal of network experience, I am good at troubeshooting and picking new things up.
I have all this but it means nothing without a piece of paper saying that I have done 4 years of uni.
That piece of paper will then allow me to gain 'experience' that is relevant as clearly they can't quantify my other experience as it was outside the workplace or the university.

I know my job inside and out here. I'm Level 2 tech in all but name. I support all the other agents. I don't get paid for it, I can't be promoted as the account I'm on is not permanant etc.
To be honest I'm disillusioned, the education system just chews you up and spits you out here.

I'd prefer to go live in a hut somewhere. Maybe I'll do that. On a beach, go fishing instead.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 17:00   #77
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Keep at it, second someone gets fired get the **** in there and kiss ass.

I work tech support and thats all thats required, the fact I have a good record for helping people in time (that is all they care about) and the fact I knew what I was doing.

But I will be in the same situation as you when I leave uni (my job security is not high at the moment as I am on a TUPE contract) so I am saving money and looking for something better, which in Swansea is very difficult, therefore I will likely work in a pub or something if I get laid off (high chance), and as I have technically only worked there a few months (as I am with a new company) I will be chucked with zero cash.

But that is life, it sucks sometimes. I would pimp your CV like a $20 whore and look for some unpaid work experience.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 17:05   #78
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Sure, I'll get right on that.

Any suggestions? I only have English as a language (my French is awful and Irish isn't really an international language). Very little practical experience in my "field", not sure what my field is, seem to fall into Tech Support for some reason.

Have €1,453 in the bank.

How far will that get me?

Honestly, anyone know where there are some reasonable paying IT jobs, or any other reasonable paying normal joe-soap jobs, someplace thats nice to live?

there are no reasonable paying IT jobs anymore :cry:
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 17:17   #79
RealJames
Retired at the top

Quote:
Well I'm ****ed then as I'll be getting a bare degree. No hons or anything. Stopped caring in 3rd year. And yeah, I know experience counts for more than the degree. The entire problem is I cant get experience as I cant get a totally relevant job, as I've no experience.

I'm in a call centre at the moment. The bottom feeders of the IT Support world. I could have done this job 4 years ago,I could have done it right out of school. I learned nothing useful from university. It's left me somewhat bemused at the whole system.
The issue is, I have plenty of hardware and PC experience, I have a good deal of network experience, I am good at troubeshooting and picking new things up.
I have all this but it means nothing without a piece of paper saying that I have done 4 years of uni.
That piece of paper will then allow me to gain 'experience' that is relevant as clearly they can't quantify my other experience as it was outside the workplace or the university.

I know my job inside and out here. I'm Level 2 tech in all but name. I support all the other agents. I don't get paid for it, I can't be promoted as the account I'm on is not permanant etc.
To be honest I'm disillusioned, the education system just chews you up and spits you out here.

I'd prefer to go live in a hut somewhere. Maybe I'll do that. On a beach, go fishing instead.
Sounds similar to me, it's the old experience vicious circle. In my four years at uni I learned a lot of disenchanting chemistry and a fair bit of valuable IT stuff. I'm now doing a quasi-support role for a company who seem to have seen potential in me, but this has taken two years and the job is still temporary. If it does fall through then I will finally have some experience, but I think you'd best save me a seat and a fishing rod.

Unread 31 Aug 2004, 18:11   #80
Event_Horizon
7H4 B4R73ND3R

Event_Horizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
BTW does anybody have any idea of how i could find out about what kind of high paying jobs a person with a BA/MA in buisness(/finace) degree could get?

Web sites to visit etc.

Google searches to make.
Not to be rude but a business degree is a dime-a-dozen. Just about everybody at college gets one of those, and most people started off as something in another field and just couldn't cut it there. Once you get that degree you are going to have to work for a company and suck penis to get a bigger/better position. I suggest you use your degree to start your own business in something you love. Thats the way to truly get satisfaction out of your job and make alot of money.

The Last Ride of Stephen Whatley and His Immortals
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 18:13   #81
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dace, you should probably read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad".
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 19:20   #82
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I say again Experience > Degree.
Definitely. I got my (Psychology) degree only to realise that to do anything remotely related would entail at LEAST another year to three years of university. For one of my areas of interest, Educational Psychology, I would need 2 years teaching experience, for which it would be one year at uni doing a post graduate certificate in Primary Education, a probationary year teaching and then said experience. Oh and, in general, you need to have around a years worth of voluntary experience in a school to even be considered for the course in Scotland. The Educational Psychology couse itself is another two years, so I'd be 30 by the time I qualified, since it's been just over two years since I graduated.

For now I will stick with my stinky 10k per year job at least until Christmas until someone decides they want to help me get my foot on the first rung of the "but you need experience" ladder.

Soooo I would advise NOT going back to square one. You can always do a masters in something you didn't study, like management/HR management etc. My friend works for a company as an accounts assistant, and they are paying for her to do day release at college and put her through the exams to become a chartered accountant. Her degree is also Psychology.

Dacey, not everyones a Callum Jackson.
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint

Last edited by MeridianStar; 31 Aug 2004 at 19:22. Reason: moop
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 21:45   #83
Isambard

Isambard is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I had to resit my final year due to PA, but during that year I met my wife, so bonus!

I left uni with 2k overdraft and 2k loan. I have paid off the overdraft and the government paid off £450 of the loan before I left the country (teacher repayment scheme).

Now I have left the country, I am on an 'allowed break' from my loan repayments...
Isambard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 22:41   #84
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

On the contacts front ...

One of my Uncles is one of the very top guys in the Royal Bank of Scotland (he handles the multi multi million pound loan type things).

Another Uncle is some kind of investment dude in London (in a very well paying job with some seniority i believe).

Another Uncle used to be (is retired now) 2nd top guy in SAA in Australia (top guy has to be South African) so maybe some buisness contacts there.

"So ANYWAYS less negativity please and lets just asume i maybe have enough contacts to 'matter' and i do ace my degree etc does anybody know what kind of job i should be aiming for?"
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 22:48   #85
Weeks
Banned

What are you studying again?

I thought i'd do computing for eeevveeerr.
now i hate computing and computers.

If my second degree goes tits up im planning on teaching languages. i have tefl thing, which is pretty much bullshit btw, and i plan i working on my german and french for three years. So i can goto these countries and teach english privately as a last resort. Which as a resort is pretty cool.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 22:58   #86
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
What are you studying again?

Is this to me?

I'm not studying anything atm.

I was planning on studying Business/Business Finance.
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 23:11   #87
*donkie*
Affectionate Nickname

*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light*donkie* is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, god. If Dace is going to Uni at Durham in 2005, then (if i'm no longer with my current partnert and I get the grades) he'll be an old man at my uni. I'll have to warn all the under 5"4 girls about him.

Maybe I could set up my own security company. "Dace Protection Unit". We'd have to beat him senseless every time he approached a lady with *that* look in his eye, but by this time he'll already have an errection so I'm guessing the beatings will soon turn into another one of his sexual fantasies.

Or maybe I'm just expanding the idea a little too far...
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 23:21   #88
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by *donkie*
I'm guessing the beatings will soon turn into another one of his sexual fantasies.

probably
Unread 31 Aug 2004, 23:32   #89
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quick little thing for you

My sister got a part time job in Carphone warehouse to buy random crap during college for her GNVQ in business studies, she then studied in Cardiff for a HND in it. ****ed up her second year and decided to go full time at carphone warehouse.

that was 2 years ago, she is now the manager of the store in Swindon earning £28k

Technically she has no degree, and makes a lot more than people her age with a degree, she is now studying part time for a degree actually which will probabably give her another promotion in the future. Luck & Experience is a lot better than a degree

Edit: again with the type of degrees, I am doing a BEng in Internet Technology and Mobile Communications. I will be a certified engineer and at the end will be able to get a goddamn decent job because of this, plus it is an engineering degree from Swansea, which makes it better (top 3 in Europe)