User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:05   #1
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough
Looking for UK Uni's

Ok well I'm just finishing the first year of my A Levels so I'm having to look at Uni's. I want to study preferably a Business Management/Administration course however I'm also looking at sports science type courses. Anyway basically I just wondered if anybody was currently on one of these courses at a particular uni and could just recommend/warn me about their uni. I've looked at Cardiff and Southampton Uni's and they were both good in my opinion.

I'm doing Business Studies, Sports Studies, Psychology and General Studies to A-Level as well as Critical Thinking and Geography to A/S-Level. I am Predicted ABBBbb
I live in the south west and I don't really want to go somewhere too far away. London would probably be the furthest I'd be prepared to go.
A 'greenish' campus would be preferable.

Any help is much appreciated

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
SeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:06   #2
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Looking for UK Uni's

You wont beat Loughbrough for sporty things.

About as far as my knowledge on any of those subjects goes.

Edit: missed out a word.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:07   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's an A-Level in Critical Thinking?

That's the worst thing I've ever heard, seriously.

Do Warwick. They're funky.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:08   #4
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

i remember a protest at southampton uni because of something to do with sports science. I have a feeling they scrapped it (i wasnt paying attention - and went to eat lunch)

you might want to research into that - but i could be wrong also.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:09   #5
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You wont Loughbrough for sporty things.

About as far as my knowledge on any of those subjects goes.
yeh loughborough has a reputation for all things sporty
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:12   #6
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I must admit my first thought after reading the post was "Critical Thinking - wtf?"
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:12   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanG
Ok well I'm just finishing the first year of my A Levels so I'm having to look at Uni's. I want to study preferably a Business Management/Administration course however I'm also looking at sports science type courses. Anyway basically I just wondered if anybody was currently on one of these courses at a particular uni and could just recommend/warn me about their uni. I've looked at Cardiff and Southampton Uni's and they were both good in my opinion.

I'm doing Business Studies, Sports Studies, Psychology and General Studies to A-Level as well as Critical Thinking and Geography to A/S-Level. I am Predicted ABBBbb
I live in the south west and I don't really want to go somewhere too far away. London would probably be the furthest I'd be prepared to go.
A 'greenish' campus would be preferable.

Any help is much appreciated
Apart from the "not far away" bit, Stirlings your shit. It has a well rated Business faculty (tons and tons of crazy chinese and japanese people come to study it here), it has the Sports institute for Scotland inside the university, and is the most beautiful Campus in great Britain (it has a loch in the centre of the uni, between the residences and the buildings). Accomodation is approx £1600 for first year, and the non discount union pint price is £1.85. Pound a pint runs between 3 and 5 nights a week, and theres other discounts.

The only downside, is I study there.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:13   #8
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zar
yeh loughborough has a reputation for all things sporty
Especially bloody purple tracksuit bottoms!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:15   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Accomodation is approx £1600 for first year
My accomodation was less than that at Cambridge
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:18   #10
SeanG
Wick

SeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the roughSeanG is a jewel in the rough

My Geography is quite crap but is Stirling close to Lanarkshire at all? If so I may well have a look at that. Afaik there isn't actually an A-Level in Critical Thinking, just an A/S. And although it counts as a separate subject it's actually taught in my General Studies slot.

It only takes a term anyway lol

<Desse> I am trying to breed a new superpod by leaving Unipods and Megapods alone in the same room with dim lights and Barry white on the cd player
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:22   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
My Geography is quite crap but is Stirling close to Lanarkshire at all?
Glasgow.

And oh god, General Studies.

Try Oxford, they accept that.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:22   #12
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
My accomodation was less than that at Cambridge
Cool. But did you have this view 20 minutes up the mountain in your back garden?

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:23   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Quote:
Cool. But did you have this view 20 minutes up the mountain in your back garden?
there is no point making a {url=sdfsd ]here {/url] tag with geocities. geocities is evil
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:24   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I know. But i have no other webspace. Is it down already or can someone host for me?

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:26   #15
vampire_lestat
Mathamagician

vampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet societyvampire_lestat is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:

Do Warwick. They're funky.
critical thinking is just a 3hrs] a week GD thread pretty much, with a changing topic every week. its a complete doss, but if you want an easy qualification, its worth taking .
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:26   #16
SeanG
Wick

Quote:
Glasgow.

And oh god, General Studies.

Try Oxford, they accept that.

Compulsory where I am. I didn't choose to do it! honest!

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:26   #17
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Do your parents wonder why you aren't taking any subjects besides Geography?
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:33   #18
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I'm hoping to go to Cardiff when my results come out in the summer, but that's for law which is a particularly competitive subject. Try to go to a university which combines excellence in your subject (look at the teaching/research ratings), as well as a good overall reputation. There's no point going to somewhere like one of the old polytechnics just because they're good for a certain subject, since they usually have a crap overall reputation for employers looking to hire graduates.

I can't emphasise enough the value of researching all of the universities - get guides from your sixth form/college as to the best places for each subject, and take a careful look at the employers' league tables - they order the universties by how highly employers rate them (but be careful not to confuse these with graduate employment destinations, since universities that do a lot of vocational subjects come too high in these).

Anyway, a few places to think of: Bath, Bristol, Cardiff, Warwick, Manchester, Kings/UCL/LSE in London, perhaps Exeter, Southampton. Nottingham's also very green. Sheffield accepts General Studies so is good as an insurance offer - but isn't very green.

You mentioned those predictions - make sure to find out your official predictions that will go on your UCAS application. These shouldn't be made until your AS Level results come out though, since there's almost always some suprises. I was predicted ABBB before my AS Levels, but was then predicted AAAB for my A2s. Obviously there's quite a big difference there

Most of the decent (i.e. traditional - the Russel Group) universities don't take General Studies (except Sheffield and Leicester) - so don't expect it to help you that much.

Your main A-Level subjects are fairly weak I'm afraid Business Studies and Psychology are fine, but I'm not so sure about Sports Science. I've never heard of Critical Thinking, and I've worked as a Careers Librarian so got to know quite a lot about the university process - don't rely on it. Also - why are you only doing Geography to AS-Level? It'd be very useful for you to carry on at A2.

Really, work out what you wan to do in life and then shape what you do at Uni around that. Don't dither between courses, because time will pass extraordinarily quickly in Year 13. You'll want to get your application in by the end of October to show your committment to the Universities, despite the fact you don't 'need' to - most of them will start making offers by the end of October. Don't leave it too late for when there are few places left to award to candidates.

You want to stand out from all of the other candidates - find things to do in the summer relevant to your degree course and put them in your personal statement.

Any more questions - PM me.

Good luck!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:36   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I know. But i have no other webspace. Is it down already or can someone host for me?
www.goonse.cx www.imageshack.uk
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:36   #20
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I am in Cardiff doing Economics and Accounting so have shared some modules with the business students and I can say it is great here. The union is huge, there is a sports centre on the main campus, your not far from the centre of the city with all the clubs/shops so you never have to walk too far to get anywhere and it is quite cheap down here. There are plenty of facilities in the uni and most of the lecturers are quite good.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:37   #21
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:

http://www.freewebs.com/deffeh/dumyat.jpg

Slow, but uploaded.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:40   #22
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I'm at Bath doing Business Administration, and I would rate it pretty highly. It was 5th this year in The Times University Guide for "Business Studies".

The campus is great for sport with a brand new sports training village where a lot of olympic athletes train as well as Bath Rugby Club.

You get a great variety of modules and a lot of options in the second to fourth year. There are modules in economics, finance, languages, organisational behaviour (psychology), it within companies, law (my personal favourite as I want to do a conversion course at the end), statistics, as well as serveral others.

It is a thin sandwhich course which means you get 2 six month paid placements in the second and third year. On these you can work at some of the top investment banks, large multinationals or like myself with the government (The Home Office to me more precise).

Having said that their current typical offer is AAA, but I know of a few people with less than that on the course, so it may be worth the try if you like it.

(Loughborough is not only very good for sport but also a top business school.)
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:45   #23
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

aber
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:57   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm at Exeter, and it sounds like it fits into what you want perfectly.

The Business School is really good (where I am) - new building being constructed for next year.
The Sports Science School place also has a great reputation.

It's also in the south west, and it's green like you said.

I've loved my time here, so would recommend it...
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 18:59   #25
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
Sheffield accepts General Studies so is good as an insurance offer - but isn't very green.
Have you been to sheffield??? It's not a campus uni so isn't in a field but it is VERY green for a city centre uni. There's a big park next to the uni, the halls of residence are in a massive green are with 2 parks within a minutes walk. It's right next to the peak district and the city centre looks very nice now too (peace gardens, winter gardens right in the centre).

BONUS - if you apply to sheffield you get a dvd with ME in it
www.shef.ac.uk

Nottingham has a green campus but you have to think a little furthur into the future - your probably only on campus for a year, 2 more years living where? in the not very green city thats full of shootings muggings etc. I like Nottingham but i wouldnt want to live in most of the student areas.

Loughborough is the sports uni. So much so that if you aren't great at sport (and i mean great) you may feel a little overpowered.

If you are doing sports science/business studies at uni maybe you should actually look at the less prestigious unis - they are actually better at these types of courses in a number of cases.

My advice - check out things like the virgin alternative guide, times or whatever uni league tables and the uni's websites themselves. you have plenty of time!

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:02   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I still have a mountain in my back garden though

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:10   #27
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Nottingham has a green campus but you have to think a little furthur into the future - your probably only on campus for a year, 2 more years living where? in the not very green city thats full of shootings muggings etc. I like Nottingham but i wouldnt want to live in most of the student areas.
Its not that bad, you just have to know which places to avoid and not do anything stupid like walk down Lenton Boulevard on your own at 3 in the morning.

Beeston is a nice place to live, although it does seem to have a lot of 13 year old townies. I got attacked by 1 once but twatted him and legged it. Anyways. Lived in Dunkirk last year, which is has the highest 'shots per person' ratio in Nottingham and i never saw any real problems. Next year i'm living in Beeston again because the houses are generally better .

Most of my mates live in Lenton and they've never had any real problems apart from a radio or 2 taken from cars.

Most of the shootings i have heard about in the last 3 years i've been in Nottingham have been gang related, its pretty rare that a student gets caught up in it all.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:19   #28
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

manchesters fun AND cheap, go there.

dunno how it is academically for business, but who really gos to uni to LEARN?

oh, 'greenish campus', bah, boring.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:24   #29
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

yeh i know, beeston isn't too bad, it's just the lenton/radford areas. I don't think i know a single student in nottingham that hasn't been involved in some kind of mugging incident.
It's amazing the difference in atmosphere between nottingham and sheffield. Although I admit the student areas are the nicest areas in the city. But in the city centre there aren't gangs of teenagers looking to punch anyone that looks at them in sheffield. And the amount of trouble at night... terrible! I feel a lot safer at 11pm in sheffield (even in the red light district, don't ask) than I do in almost every area of nottingham.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:25   #30
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Applications aren't until like November or something are they?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:30   #31
JC
lolly roffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
radford
I would never live there and my female housemate next year refused to look for a house in Lenton, but i've never experienced any problems on nights out or anything.

Like i said though you tend to catch on where to and not to go pretty quickly. I've been to Isis a few times on Wednesday nights, but i'ld never dream of going on a Saturday night as you are liable to be shot.

I think its the same with most cities to be honest, there are certain areas you know to avoid. Manchester is hardly the safest city for instance, but i've never had any problems there as i stay away from the worst parts. Never been to Sheffield other than to Hillsbrough so i cant really comment about it .
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:31   #32
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Radford is a not-too-nice area of coventry as well
(which is a good city on the whole, and you should definitely give Warwick Uni a visit)
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:33   #33
Ste
Bored

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=178319

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:34   #34
SeanG
Wick

They start accepting in september, I intend to get mine in during september sometime. The official deadline is December/January time tho

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:36   #35
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

What? A (properly formulated) A-level in Critical Thinking would be more useful than any other A-Level currently being taught in Britain, bar none. That's precisely the kind of thing that _should_ get taught in schools.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:38   #36
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
What? An A-level in Critical Thinking would be more useful than any other A-Level currently being taught in Britain, bar none. That's precisely the kind of thing that _should_ get taught in schools.
i'd love to see the exams for critical thinking.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:38   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Agreeing with Nodrog.

Although I know someone who has an AS Level in Critical Thinking and she said it was a bit rubbish (I think). I hoped it was some kind of ideological/psychological self-defence type thing. That would be cool.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:41   #38
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Not knowing whether Dante or Nod or being satirical, i think its a good thing. Core skills are more important than a useless shallow grasp of a subject

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:42   #39
SeanG
Wick

In my critical thinking exam there were.........

16 Multiple choise questions (heh)
2 Critical Evaluation questions
ad 1 'whodunnit' type question where you had to decipher who was the guilty party etc etc. I can see it being useful for Law students.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:47   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Not knowing whether Dante or Nod or being satirical, i think its a good thing. Core skills are more important than a useless shallow grasp of a subject
I totally agree, and I wasn't being satirical.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 19:48   #41
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I dont think I was ever taught anything involving critical thinking at any stage of my schooling. There was certainly no mention of logical fallacies or formal logic anyway.

The British state school education system is such a worthless failure.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:06   #42
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to Swansea, you know you really want to

Only thing we are good for though is Engineering and Modern Languages
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:07   #43
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
In my critical thinking exam there were.........

16 Multiple choise questions (heh)
No spelling then

Ste - Sheff is typically good at night, but my mate was at the bust stop and 2 people started chatting between themselves about which bit of him they were going to eat of him heh!
I also know someone who was knived outside Kingdom.
I've also seen some guy get the shit kicked out of him in Crookes.

Still much better than most unis - sad isnt it!
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:29   #44
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Still much better than most unis - sad isnt it!
I don't know of anyone who has had any trouble in Cardiff

Quote:
Go to Swansea, you know you really want to
All my friends have been bitching about being miles away from the university buildings while they have been in student accomodation. There were also a lot of complaints about building work near the main campus keeping people awake all year or something weren't there?
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:39   #45
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

i'm hijacking this thread since i'm in pretty much the same posistion. I'm looking for Unis that do Computer Science, preferbly with something to do with games development. The only Uni i've looked at so far is Hull, which does Comptuer Science with Games Development. I don't know my predicted grades (not good though, judging by my performance in my AS exams) and i am currently taking maths (mechanics), physics (if you can call Salters physics), electronics and computing (which i appear to be aceing)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:46   #46
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
What? A (properly formulated) A-level in Critical Thinking would be more useful than any other A-Level currently being taught in Britain, bar none. That's precisely the kind of thing that _should_ get taught in schools.
I'm not criticising 'Critical Thinking' per se, I just don't see how an A-level in it can be anything except useless, given the general standard of A-Levels.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:48   #47
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
Comptuer Science with Games Development
Games Dev is one of the more useless subjects around.
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 20:49   #48
SeanG
Wick

My way of thinking about it is I didnt choose it, it is a relatively light subject in terms of things to learn, homework set etc etc. Yet it makes my application look that little bit better. But I cant see it being useful as a 'choice' just as something to supplement other a-levels.

Unread 22 Jun 2004, 22:41   #49
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Looks like I'm the preparation King.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Jun 2004, 23:14   #50
Chrism
Governor General

Chrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the roughChrism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Have you been to sheffield??? It's not a campus uni so isn't in a field but it is VERY green for a city centre uni. There's a big park next to the uni, the halls of residence are in a massive green are with 2 parks within a minutes walk. It's right next to the peak district and the city centre looks very nice now too (peace gardens, winter gardens right in the centre).

BONUS - if you apply to sheffield you get a dvd with ME in it
www.shef.ac.uk
Is that new for this year. I certainly got no Ste DVD last year - I feel let down