User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 18 Jun 2004, 14:49   #1
Kejome

Kejome is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this Planetarions future ?

After bein asked several times to play planetarion again i decided to play the beta and so i did.

At first i couldn't believe my eyes , was this the game i loved so much ?

The first thing i did was lookin at the stats page, i saw only ships with damage/armour where did the guns,agil and wsp go ? Only 1 gun ? damn. Ok let's look at the tech tree which cons/res to do to get my roid scanning started, hmmm.
I didn't get it so i started pm'ing.
No need for roid scanning ? My hair went grey instantly , this was like one of the greatest parts of the game with the most thrills in the first 100 ticks.
Someone told me they removed it due to the 'luck' factor ? DUH !

I got someone to give me some quick info about all 'major' changes before i would get bald instead of grey.

So i played the Beta,
The more i played the more i missed the old style and , the things i really missed:
- scanning for roids
- 3 tick battles both on attackin and defending (almost no need for decent fleet composure)
- (semi)private galaxies (buddy code didn't work)
- no score formula ??!! ( what is this crap with xp score ? ) How can a person (galaxy/allaince) play to win when there is a 'secret' score calculation.

Beta wan't all bad as i found the engineering/cover-ops thingy nice new things to see,but having a 'delayed' launch button ? lol ,what's next ' a free bot ' to play for u ?

I never thought 6 rounds ago planetarion would go this way and personally i am not happy with it. In general it lost all needs to have skill and endurance
I hope the comunity in general is happy with it .

Regards,
Kejome

btw , i ended 2nd or 3th in beta thnkz to that crappy xp thingie and totally not due to skill.
Kejome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:08   #2
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of
Re: Is this Planetarions future ?

Yes, the delayed launch thing sucks.

I don't mind the lack of roid scanning though - just adds another dimension.
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:10   #3
Vanquisher
heh

Vanquisher is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in, what is close to, complete agreement with you here Kejome.

Since the good days of 'Old PA', Planetarion has lost a considerable amount of players. Most blame this on Pay To Play, but I personally see it to be more a case of the 'improvements' in the game, which a huge number of people don't like.

I personally feel, that if the 'Old PA' was brought back, people would come flocking back, even if they still had to pay, as it was, and still is, the game of this genre.

3 tick battles were some of the best things around, and scanning was always one of the best times of the game. So what if it's down to luck, luck is a -big- thing in these games. How it could be removed I fail to see.

Aside from that, as Skinny (mainly) showed, the XP formula is utter rubbish. Why bother having it? "Oh, it encourages people to attack bigger people" - Wow, if the bigger people's fleets are attacking you, and you send 50~ Cath CR Pods, you'll get heaps more score than they will, even though they cap more.

The value system is the best, it's the old scoring way, and it's the best scoring way.

As well as seeing the scoring system changed back, I've also got to ask, what the hell is the point of not having a gal status page? I hardly ever scroll down to the gal status part of my overview anyway, but now I feel I have to, and besides that, it's not even clear.

Just the views I got from the beta,
Vanquisher

N.B - There is only one reason I'm playing PA this round. If it wasn't for that, extremely lame reason seemingly, I wouldn't be caught dead even looking at the portal anymore :/
Vanquisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:15   #4
Mikee
Furious Angel

Mikee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquisher
I'm in, what is close to, complete agreement with you here Kejome.

Since the good days of 'Old PA', Planetarion has lost a considerable amount of players. Most blame this on Pay To Play, but I personally see it to be more a case of the 'improvements' in the game, which a huge number of people don't like.

I personally feel, that if the 'Old PA' was brought back, people would come flocking back, even if they still had to pay, as it was, and still is, the game of this genre.

3 tick battles were some of the best things around, and scanning was always one of the best times of the game. So what if it's down to luck, luck is a -big- thing in these games. How it could be removed I fail to see.

Aside from that, as Skinny (mainly) showed, the XP formula is utter rubbish. Why bother having it? "Oh, it encourages people to attack bigger people" - Wow, if the bigger people's fleets are attacking you, and you send 50~ Cath CR Pods, you'll get heaps more score than they will, even though they cap more.

The value system is the best, it's the old scoring way, and it's the best scoring way.

As well as seeing the scoring system changed back, I've also got to ask, what the hell is the point of not having a gal status page? I hardly ever scroll down to the gal status part of my overview anyway, but now I feel I have to, and besides that, it's not even clear.

Just the views I got from the beta,
Vanquisher

N.B - There is only one reason I'm playing PA this round. If it wasn't for that, extremely lame reason seemingly, I wouldn't be caught dead even looking at the portal anymore :/
hehe newb u made me login to my unused just to post here i agree with u 2 tho and whats teh lame reason wankgayshe btw ?
Mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:18   #5
Vanquisher
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikee
hehe newb u made me login to my unused just to post here i agree with u 2 tho and whats teh lame reason wankgayshe btw ?
Doesn't really matter, else I would have said it
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:18   #6
Hugin
Ministry

Hugin is on a distinguished road

I agree 100% with Kejome.

I havent played since round 6, and i was shocked to see how it was when I played beta before this round.

Unless drastic changes I will never come back.
Hugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 15:46   #7
Perfection
Autonomous

Perfection will become famous soon enoughPerfection will become famous soon enough

I agree too. I also played the beta after people wanted me to come back. I was still going to play until yesterday even though i thought the game was utter shite.

Half of the new ideas (I actually think encouraging people to hit bigger planets is a good thing) are good, but should have been worked into the original PA. The reason i didnt make a similar post is because its so naff ive lost all will to correct, what i see as, its flaws.

The thing that struck me the most was this - When i first joined PA in round 3 i also signed up to several space strategy games at the same time. Those games tended to be more complicated, not too far from the way PA is now - ie. in 'Dark Galaxy' there was a similar "covert operations" ability. The reason I stayed with Planetarion was because of its playability and because it was so simple.
Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2004, 18:02   #8
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all

you're all wrong
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 07:29   #9
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fish
you're all wrong

hehe. Planetarion is ok. But granted, it could be better. i think alot of new implentations kind of suck, and I also feel that the game was coded a little lax in some areas, ie. the xp deal. It takes almost no thought. I guess it eliminates work for admins tho', and makes their job easier. This is 2004, I guess the admins want a break too, like everyone else. With all the minimizing and such, I applaude them for making the game good enough to play, while making their job easier.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 12:07   #10
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Spinner you readin this?

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 12:59   #11
Zimeon

Zimeon is an unknown quantity at this point

I havn't played since RD6 either, and i'm really suprised by the amount of changes. I really miss roidscans, giving the tension and feel of luck into the game. Also teh delayed launch really sucks....

Some of the changes are good tho, eg the engineering is a nifty addition imo.
Zimeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 13:01   #12
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanquisher
I

Nah, They wouldn't. The biggest thing that stops PA from being a much bigger game is Pay2Play, always has been, always will be. If it was indeed, to be converted back to 'Old PA' why pay for it, when you can get it free elsewhere heh.

Pay2Play is, no matter what anyone says, the biggest reason stopping pa (even this variety) from being much bigger. People must also take into account, back then when pa had over 170k accounts, there was hardly much competition, now every corner you see there are varities of this game. Heh.

Quote:

With a tweaking, xp could be made worthwile a little bit, I'm sure. The initial idea is actually quite nice, heh.

Quote:
what the hell is the point of not having a gal status page? I hardly ever scroll down to the gal status part of my overview anyway, but now I feel I have to, and besides that, it's not even clear.
100% agreed.

Quote:
you tit, if you hadn't forced me into the beta and then onto this round all would've been fine, and maybe I could be revising atm :|
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 14:15   #13
Vanquisher
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
you tit, if you hadn't forced me into the beta and then onto this round all would've been fine, and maybe I could be revising atm :|
Actually I'm beginning to wish I hadn't.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 14:27   #14
Mr. Juggalo
eia bro

Mr. Juggalo is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 20:36   #15
Copie
[Tired]

Copie is an unknown quantity at this point

Bring back the holoroids!
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 20:43   #16
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
Pay2Play is, no matter what anyone says, the biggest reason stopping pa (even this variety) from being much bigger. People must also take into account, back then when pa had over 170k accounts, there was hardly much competition, now every corner you see there are varities of this game. Heh.
It wouldn't have stopped PA being much bigger had they produced a product that people were willing to pay for, though this is obvious. PA didn't decline, it just stood still while everything else moved on.
Unread 19 Jun 2004, 22:32   #17
Leinad
DrFlame

Leinad is on a distinguished road

everything else moved on?
Thats really a funny statement look at all the other browser games, its everywhere the same basics PA started with, there hasnt changed much and there doesnt need to change much.
I also didnt play PA since r7 but i kinda like the new roid init system (and i was one of those lucky guys which were anyways every tick there in first 72h) and also the engineering thing.
The alliance system (with def eta advantage) is also a nice thing and about the rest u can allways discuss, for sure a thing of personal taste.
Leinad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 00:20   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The majority of them don't try and charge any actual 'money'. That's the key issue, that's where you have to make your game stand out from the rest of the crowd. If people want PA-styled play they can get that free from any number of games that probably have more players; PA offers nothing over them. Once upon a time it had the biggest playerbase, then people started drifting but it still had a great community, now that's slowly changing and we're left with 'engineers'? Stick that on a banner advert.

I wasn't really referring to browser-based games having moved on because on the whole they haven't, though they cover a wider range now than they once did. I was referring more to the games industry that PA should be considering itself a part of, where the subscription model is being applied more and more. People want to pay for multiplayer gaming experiences, if they didn't then XBox Live wouldn't work and there'd be no EQ.

It's not even so much that the industry has evolved so radically that PA doesn't fit any more, more that its customers see a wide range of high-quality multiplayer games out there and PA ain't one on their list. Though purely speculation I suspect that if Spinner et al had asked people to pay £3-5 to play R4 they'd have had much more success than they currently 'enjoy' with charging a fiver for PAX-Mark-II
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 00:53   #19
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

3 reasons i don't play pa:

1) there are other games i don't have to be up at 5am to do well in
2) inactives
3) jolt

granted, one of those is unlikely to change. however, imo pa could become more attractive by addressing the other two. games like swg, eve, planetside compete against pa because you can play them when you want, and with who you want, thereby not suffering from the first two problems.

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 14:29   #20
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a growing game again. I think the changes to the game made this possible. Yes, still a lot of improvements can be made but we are on the right track. I'm sure rnd 12 will be even better than this one.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jun 2004, 15:21   #21
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

I would of liked a little "guide for people who couldn't be bothered to play since round 9". The whole roid initiation thing is not clear from the outset, but I kinda like it. The destryoing structures and structure redundency could be quite cool, thats one great way to take down someone you dont like, cripple them to hell

Engineers are a good idea also, I am regretting doing cash, con, res though, should have gone cash, res, con
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote