User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:23   #1
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
racist neg rep

An angry crowd is... 30 Jul 2006 19:11 stupid muslim

what ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:35   #2
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: racist neg rep

Flav - you'd be better off raising it direct with an admin/mod...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:36   #3
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

propose comic user title renaming courtesy of mod for the one responsible
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:38   #4
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

PM JJ or JBG over it.

to the comedy user title as well.
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:40   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if he'd pm-d a mod or admin then he wouldn't have been able to recieve sympathy pos rep.

this thread should be deleted.
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:41   #6
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
if he'd pm-d a mod or admin then he wouldn't have been able to recieve sympathy pos rep.
Because numbers are all that matter

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 22:59   #7
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe

this thread should be deleted.
I don't care about getting any more pos or neg rep.

I stopped caring long time ago. I remember it well. It was when I stopped believing in Santa Claus.
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:02   #8
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

ah that was me, yes.

(it was because you made a racist thread, btw).
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:14   #9
Flavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
ah that was me, yes.

(it was because you made a racist thread, btw).
I don't hate jews or Israelis.

I dispise the Israeli and US governments.

That's not being racist.
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:17   #10
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
I don't care about getting any more pos or neg rep.

I stopped caring long time ago. I remember it well. It was when I stopped believing in Santa Claus.

From my inbox:

Quote:
I request rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
i sent this

give back my <3 and give anti <3 to MM

forgot to include my name sorry
thank you! you get rep from me now

want to trade rep?

yup, trading rep is the only way ive got rep!!!

xee and flayer are the latest to trade with me, sarina has also traded, ste/stew, structural integrity and tomkat

try them if you haven't already, just say i sent you

Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:29   #11
Flavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
From my inbox:

That was long time ago. Around the time rep system was implemented.

Then it all faded away and I don't care anymore.
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:36   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does this mean you stopped believing in Santa Claus a few months ago?

Anyway, I don't think "stupid muslim" is particularly racist.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jul 2006, 23:37   #13
Flavius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks

We haven't had a 'remove anonymous rep' thread in a while. Just fillin the blanks.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 01:04   #14
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Tomkat you grass!
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 02:51   #15
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

Neither do i, but to make this thread slightly more interesting id say that a word that doesn't exist usually describes my feelings on 'racist matters'. The closest i can come to describing the word i want is 'mindless/shallow/low brow/ignorance' If we take the meaning of racist as believing in a superiority of 'your' people to 'other' people i need a term that doesn't encompass that but does describe 'silly statements'.

btw this made me O_o

http://www.mousebreaker.com/games/savages/play.php

ps tomkats a grassy fag
pps you looked slightly bored (or not drugged up enough) in the 'gd meet' pics
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 02:58   #16
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
pps you looked slightly bored (or not drugged up enough) in the 'gd meet' pics :(

it's the chemo :(
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 05:22   #17
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Since when is a religion a race? Is one born as a muslim and can only be muslim by birth?

Religion does not equal race.

Regionalism does not equal race.

I would like to think that being of a particular race cannot be learned in a book or taught be a religious leader.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 07:00   #18
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Since when is a religion a race? Is one born as a muslim and can only be muslim by birth?

Religion does not equal race.

Regionalism does not equal race.

I would like to think that being of a particular race cannot be learned in a book or taught be a religious leader.
See this is where you demonstrate you ignorance again. Race is a sociological phenomenon with very little to do with biology. It is possible that a person that SELF IDENTIFIES as white might have more genetically in common with a person that SELF IDENTIFIES as black than another person that SELF IDENTIFIES as white. Seriously, what school did you graduate from again?
Quote:
A human race is defined as a group of people with certain common inherited features that distinguish them from other groups of people. All men of whatever race are currently classified by the anthropologist or biologist as belonging to the one species, Homo sapiens. This is another way of saying that the differences between human races are not great, even though they may appear so, i.e. black vs white skin. All races of mankind in the world can interbreed because they have so much in common.
This is terrible. Do not get your answers from here. Please don't. Please just stop. Stop breathing.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 07:26   #19
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
See this is where you demonstrate you ignorance again. Race is a sociological phenomenon with very little to do with biology. It is possible that a person that SELF IDENTIFIES as white might have more genetically in common with a person that SELF IDENTIFIES as black than another person that SELF IDENTIFIES as white. Seriously, what school did you graduate from again?
ironically I would say that your opinions on this are quite parochial, in that they are probably derived from your experiences with an American culture that has its own peculiar views on race that are not generally shared by the rest of the world. In the UK (or europe) a person with white skin who 'self-identified' as black would be laughed at, but I believe this sort of thing isnt particularly uncommon in the US. The whole idea of 'racial identity', 'self-identification' and other po-mo buzzwords have far less currency outside the US than they do within it. It's not that difficult really; roughly speaking, a person with white (not literally white, but we all know the sort of colour we're talking about) skin is White, a person with a <certain_shade_of_brown> skin is Asian, and someone with <a_different_shade_of_brown> skin is Black . Racism is irrational discrimination against people based on their skin colour. Once you move beyond this silly American discourse about self-identification, it isnt particularly difficult to talk about races and racism. There is no such thing as 'self-identifying' as Black (or 'African-American'), although a particular person with black skin may choose to accept or reject parts of the culture he grew up in.

'Scientific' definitions of race (in as much as they exist) tend to be parasitic on our pre-scientific ideas about skin colour. So although terms like 'caucasian' and 'negroid' may not be explicitly based on skin colour as such, they tend to be focused on identifying the common characteristics shared by groups of people who have already-historically been grouped together because of their skin. Ultimately I would say that all talk about 'race', whether in common language or otherwise, really boils down to talk about skin colour.

Last edited by Nodrog; 31 Jul 2006 at 07:39.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 07:38   #20
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
ironically I would say that your opinions on this are quite parochial, in that they are probably derived from your experiences with an American culture that has its own peculiar views on race that are not generally shared by the rest of the world. In the UK (or europe) a person with white skin who 'self-identified' as black would be laughed at, but I believe this sort of thing isnt particularly uncommon in the US. The whole idea of 'racial identity', 'self-identification' and other po-mo buzzwords have far less currency outside the US than they do within it. It's not that difficult really; roughly speaking, a person with white (not literally white, but we all know the sort of colour we're talking about) skin is White, a person with a <certain_shade_of_brown> skin is Asian, and someone with <a_different_shade_of_brown> skin is Black . Racism is irrational discrimination against people based on their skin colour. Once you move beyond this silly American discourse about self-identification it isnt particularly difficult to talk about races and racism.

'Scientific' definitions of race (in as much as they exist) tend to be parasitic on our pre-scientific ideas about skin colour. So although terms like 'caucasian' and 'negroid' may not be explicitly based on skin colour as such, they tend to be focused on identifying the common characteristics shared by groups of people who have already-historically been grouped together because of their skin. Ultimately I would say that all talk about 'race', whether in common language or otherwise, really boils down to talk about skin colour.
Do you use a munsell color chart? Are dark skinned people from India black or white? :0 What about White people with a dark tone (not a tan) and light colored africans. What about Albinos. Maybe you don't want to use skin color, maybe you want to see if a pencil in their hair will fall through or get stuck in the nappy curls, maybe you don't like that and want to start measuring cranal capacity and nose length. Don't be moronic. People are diverse, too diverse to easily classify. It's all a sociological phenomon. White people in Brazil would be considered black in the US, Japanese are 'honorary whites' in arpatheid South Africa, the list goes on. It's all hoggeldy poo.

Last edited by s|k; 31 Jul 2006 at 07:45.
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 07:42   #21
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Do you use a munsell color chart?
I'm not sure what youre talking about, but most people have very little difficulty in deciding what constitutes 'white' skin within the context of their everyday experience. If Robert and Jemal both have the same colour of 'white' skin then they are both white, regardless of whether Jemal's grandmother came from Africa. Again, the denial of this sort of thing is largely a US phenomena and tends to be linked to that horribly retarded 'African American' term you use.

Quote:
What about White people with a dark tone (not a tan) and light colored africans. What about Albinos.
Is a beanbag a chair?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 07:50   #22
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
I'm not sure what youre talking about, but most people have very little difficulty in deciding what constitutes 'white' skin within the context of their everyday experience. If Robert and Jemal both have the same colour of 'white' skin then they are both white, regardless of whether Jemal's grandmother came from Africa. Again, the denial of this sort of thing is largely a US phenomena and tends to be linked to that horribly retarded 'African American' term you use.

Is a beanbag a chair?
Hey you decide how you want to classify people all you want. It's fine by me. That's why I say it is a sociological phenomenon. Just don't give me that 'biology" or "genetic" bullshit, because then you're dead wrong. I prefer to rely on self identifcation, however, as does the US census, and the entire field of anthropology, sociology, etc.

Also, Munsell Color Chart in action. Only in your case it would be skin, and not dirt. More on Munsell.

Also maybe you should write down a set of rules and such as to who fits into what race and see how it works out.

Last edited by s|k; 31 Jul 2006 at 07:59.
s|k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 08:02   #23
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Hey you decide how you want to classify people all you want. It's fine by me. That's why I say it is a sociological phenomenon. Just don't give me that 'biology" or "genetic" bullshit, because then you're dead wrong. I prefer to rely on self identifcation, however, as does the US census, and the entire field of anthropology, sociology, etc.
I'm not sure what there is to be wrong about. Most people intuitively base their racial classifications on skin colour, and skin colour is a function of genetics. A white person who grew up in da ghettos and listens to hiphop is not black just because he discovers that his great-great-great grand-parent came from Nigeria.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 08:12   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Seriously, what school did you graduate from again?
I wouldn't bother using that line of argument since your posts on this subject are generally excessively influenced by your emotional response (see your previous rather terribly OTT posts on the topic in the past). If you're going to appeal to superior support from academia then it's probably best you don't get so over-excited.
Quote:
People are diverse, too diverse to easily classify. It's all a sociological phenomon.
"Race" is a sociological categorisation of (generally) biological differences between individuals. Obviously it's not clear-cut, which is why race as a biological identifier is notoriously tricky - but it is still used. In medical trials when they are trying to assess (say) the effect of a new drug on different ethnic/racial groups (which happens ocassionally) they don't want to know how someone "self-identifies" as that would make any results utterly meaningless.

Even in political terms, self-identification isn't the be all and end all. Sure, it's quite powerful in terms of measuring cultural affiliation (for want of a better term) which is why it's used in the census (aside from convenience) but it's not like it describes every real-world scenario sufficiently. A black person self-identifying as white in South Africa circa 1970 wouldn't have got very far.

Beyond this, in a real world event if you saw a guy running from the scene of a crime (say) would you refuse to use terms like 'black' or 'white' or whatever to describe them, or would you wait until he or she had self-identified to you?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 08:14   #25
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
I'm not sure what there is to be wrong about. Most people intuitively base their racial classifications on skin colour, and skin colour is a function of genetics. A white person who grew up in da ghettos and listens to hiphop is not black just because he discovers that his great-great-great grand-parent came from Nigeria.
It is just not as simple as you think it is. You would be surprised to learn how people in the distant past viewed 'races' and how they were classified. What determines a race is part of the currently accepted ideas in the majority of people's heads. People have moved from one race category into another, within their own lives. (Italians for instance were once, in the US not considered to be white, but now they are). I am not talking about white people who listen to rap. Race is a very subjective thing. To some extent it is based 'roughly' on imagined ideals of biological traits that some people fit very neatly into, but many don't. Black people in the US for the most part are no where near as dark as black people in Africa, you might think that just because they have a shade of brown in your eyes they are black, but in the eyes of someoen else all they see is the shade of white, and so they are white. I am telling you, it is all subjective, it is all different based on different ideas, and that's why it is best to rely on self identification. Look at a room full of people, get two randomly selected people in that room to point out all the people who are wearing a 'red' shirt, and you will get different results. It is not biology, it is not genetics.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 08:16   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Look at a room full of people, get two randomly selected people in that room to point out all the people who are wearing a 'red' shirt, and you will get different results.
I agree entirely. But this doesn't mean we stop using terms like 'red' though, does it?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 09:11   #27
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
I wouldn't bother using that line of argument ...
Well then don't. Are you trying to influence me, give me a lecture, or would like to see my emotional response raise to another level?

Quote:
I agree entirely. But this doesn't mean we stop using terms like 'red' though, does it?
I never said that race isn't real (or at least I didn't mean to). I said it isn't based on genetics or biological explanations.

Quote:
In medical trials when they are trying to assess (say) the effect of a new drug on different ethnic/racial groups (which happens ocassionally) they don't want to know how someone "self-identifies" as that would make any results utterly meaningless.
People of African descent share a lot genetic traits (sickle cell for instance), as is expected, but this is separate from race. Also, a lot of the health issues that black people versus white people experience have cultural explanations (such as lifespan (standard of living), heart disease (diet), etc). And incidentally on any clinical trial or scientific study I have ever encountered, race has always been self identified.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 09:47   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Black, white, whatever are just words describing people so as long as the person you're talking to knows what you mean it doesn't really make any difference. Of course you should probably make sure they know what you mean before you start talking.

Language games!
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 09:50   #29
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
It's all hoggeldy poo.
Is this a technical term? Is this what they are teaching you at Arizona State in your Graduate studies? I really could not find any information about what you may consider to be an obvious description of your opinion.

s|k, the blatent personal attacks because I am Christian are quite apparent. Grow up dude. Please build a bridge and get over yourself already.

On a side note I did find a definition for higgeldy piggeldy if that is what you meant. Still slang none the less.

Unread 31 Jul 2006, 09:59   #30
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Actually travler, s|k has previously taken a fairly militant stance on this issue, long before you came along.

PS Also your signature is too long, can you shorten it to ten lines please?
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:17   #31
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Actually travler, s|k has previously taken a fairly militant stance on this issue, long before you came along.
On hoggeldy poo?

Perhaps you mean race.

As far as I know there are 3 basic races based soley on bone structure and is used by anthropologist.

The 3 races are Caucasoid, Mongoloid, and Negroid.

Everything else may be self-defined but you cannot decide what bone-structure your going to have. And how do the unconsious and dead people self-define themselves?

Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:27   #32
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Wait a second so does this mean if I use the term "dirty dirty darky" then I might be offending a white guy if they self-identify with them?

How confusing

How am I supposed to be a racist if people want to swap races?!
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:36   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
On hoggeldy poo?

Perhaps you mean race.
Of course I meant race.

Quote:
As far as I know there are 3 basic races based soley on bone structure and is used by anthropologist.

Everything else may be self-defined but you cannot decide what bone-structure your going to have. And how do the unconsious and dead people self-define themselves?
It's his argument, not mine. However your point is complete hoggeldy poo, the American Anthropological Association currently holds that races are a social construct. I don't know what anthropologists you've been talking to but I'd advise checking up on their credentials.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:47   #34
Ste
Bored

Quote:
I thought it was meant to be Semitic, Hamitic and Japhetic?

Damn you bible for teaching me wrong

Unread 31 Jul 2006, 10:55   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Well then don't. Are you trying to influence me, give me a lecture, or would like to see my emotional response raise to another level?
The first two. The last you hardly need any assistance.
Quote:
I never said that race isn't real (or at least I didn't mean to). I said it isn't based on genetics or biological explanations.
What does "based on [...] biological explanations" mean though? In your example of the red shirt, people's interpretation of what 'red' is, is of course a subjective process. However what they are interpreting often has a physical basis (the dyes used in the shirt or whatever).
Quote:
People of African descent share a lot genetic traits (sickle cell for instance), as is expected, but this is separate from race.
Here's a good example of what we're talking about. We're all of African descent aren't we? But that's OK because we know what you meant by this. As JBG says, this is why terms like 'black' or 'white' are useful, if everyone is careful that you know what you mean.
Quote:
Also, a lot of the health issues that black people versus white people experience have cultural explanations (such as lifespan (standard of living), heart disease (diet), etc).
Thanks for pointing out the breathtakingly obvious. I'm not really sure who you think you're arguing with here but some of us are aware of some of the issues despite lacking your obviously superior educational background...
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 12:57   #36
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Yeah, me neither. I'm not sure the 'stupid' needs to be typed either

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 13:07   #37
Tomkat

stupid scot
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 13:31   #38
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

apples and pears guvnor

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 13:43   #39
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

To be abit of a hippie, we are ONE race.<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Racism, sexism and homophobia (and all other forms of oppresion based on nothing) is a result of grouping. The sooner we realize that we all are different persons even if we have simmilarities (like skintone or sexual preferences) , it will be swell and cool and lots of sex.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 13:47   #40
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
To be abit of a hippie, we are ONE race.<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Racism, sexism and homophobia (and all other forms of oppresion based on nothing) is a result of grouping. The sooner we realize that we all are different persons even if we have simmilarities (like skintone or sexual preferences) , it will be swell and cool and lots of sex.
I bet that your best friend is an old African lesbian.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 14:31   #41
JonnyBGood
Banned

On an interesting side-note does this mean I can invent my own race if I self-identify with it?

If so dibs on being a transformer.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:02   #42
milo

milo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himmilo is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

although 'black' and 'white' are obviously substantial indicative markers of a person, trying to map a universally applicable culture or behaviour pattern on that is idiotic. We don't say in all seriousness that brunettes behave differently to blondes even though hair can indicate certain medical conditions (white forelock etc).
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:13   #43
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
trying to map a universally applicable culture or behaviour pattern on that is idiotic.
Outside of the lunatic fringe of the white & black nationalist movements I'm not sure anyone seriously tries to do this (any more at least).
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:25   #44
milo

Point taken, but then i don't really understand what everyone is arguing about in the thread.
Unread 31 Jul 2006, 15:39   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Point taken, but then i don't really understand what everyone is arguing about in the thread.
Something to do with getting the negroids out I presumed.
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 12:29   #46
Tomkat

We're trying to decide whether to stick with the all-white outfit with the pointy hats, or to maybe go with a bit of colour. I was thinking about a bit of pink trimmings around the collar and cuffs. What does everyone think?
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 14:55   #47
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

You would say that you stupid Atheist.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 15:16   #48
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can we change neg rep from red to black please as black as a "colour" * has more negative connotations?

* i'm perfectly aware black is the absence of colour so shut the **** up
Unread 1 Aug 2006, 23:34   #49
Texan
Prince of Amber

Texan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these partsTexan is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I don't hate jews or Israelis.

I dispise the Israeli and US governments.

That's not being racist.
We've got fat people, gays, lawyers, Scots -- all kinds of screwed up people on this forum. No reason why we can't have a racist like you on the forums, Flavius.
Unread 2 Aug 2006, 00:41   #50
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan
We've got fat people, gays, lawyers, Scots -- all kinds of screwed up people on this forum. No reason why we can't have a racist like you on the forums, Flavius.
What was racists in that statement?
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote