User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 31 Aug 2008, 17:03   #1
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
What Smudge would do

Instead of making up a group of threads I thought I'd put ideas into one thread. Lots of small ideas, feel free to expand on them

Idea : Official war declaration in-game
Reason : Lets the members of the alliance know whats going on, could be used in a public area (ie out of game) to get more people interested in the game.
Usage : -1 travel time to attack war planets, increased XP vs war planets as opposed to normal hostile planets, morale boosts to population (increase in prod, res, cons?).

Idea : No scan tech tree
Reason : eliminate the scanner problem all together
Usage : Scans get unlocked after x amount of ticks, amps and dists still in play for hardcore scanenrs, allows an even playing field for all players (both in alliance and solo'ers).

Idea : Capital City
Reason : Planet management
Usage : Makes the game more interesting, build enhancements for your planet, gives stuff to do during ticks, potential expertise in different areas (cons, res, cov-ops etc).

Idea : Free planets
Reason : Get players in
Usage : Free planets with no limits, no explanation needed really.

Idea : Currency
Reason : To let more active people enhance their experience of PA buy paying for items
Usage : In game currency (ie galactic credits) which you can use (ie finish off a research, enhance a construction, expand capital city). Wouldn't have a dramatic influence on the game but small and noticeable. Would generate income for OMAC.

Idea : Battle Enhancements
Reason : Get players in again
Usage : In-game graphics (maybe flash?), battle reports to help newbies work out what ship combos work well against what race
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2008, 17:37   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What Smudge would do

Ingame wars: I'm fairly sceptical of trying to code features into the game that have existed for years in the metagame. I don't see a way of doing it well enough to be worth the trouble, not to mention the problems we'll undoubtedly encounter for the first 3 rounds this is implemented (as always). This doesn't mean there couldn't be some ingame representation of naps and wars using a system much like the ones described in this thread, just as long as it doesn't directly influence gameplay.

If our goal is to create more warfare, I would much rather see new features in the game, such as the alliance outpost idea outlined in JBG's vision for the future of Planetarion.

Scans: I'm not against this, but I prefer changing the order of scan researches, and adding a jgp-like scan early in the tree.

Capital: explain?

Currency/free planets: This looks to me as basically the same thing. What makes currency better than credits?

Battle enhancements: ingame graphics seems a lot of work. Not against it, not particularly in favour either. What do you mean by "battle reports to help newbies work out what ship combos work well against what race"?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Aug 2008, 22:56   #3
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I like the first two suggestions. then it just gets wierd.

Free game. im sure it would be cool, however, im sure omac wants to earn some money too.
Unread 1 Sep 2008, 10:30   #4
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
Instead of making up a group of threads I thought I'd put ideas into one thread. Lots of small ideas, feel free to expand on them
The reason this isn't usually done is that it makes it hard, because several ideas end up being discussed in parallel. The forum rules for Planetarion Suggestions make it clear that it should be one idea per topic

Quote:
Idea : Official war declaration in-game
Reason : Lets the members of the alliance know whats going on, could be used in a public area (ie out of game) to get more people interested in the game.
Usage : -1 travel time to attack war planets, increased XP vs war planets as opposed to normal hostile planets, morale boosts to population (increase in prod, res, cons?).
-possible (i've been considering it for next round)
-ETA advantage would be pretty horrible and eliminate most defence.
-No mention of limits (e.g. going to war with every alliance gives you -1 to attack ALL planets and reduces the alliance defence possibilities by a fair fraction - Fi/Co fleets can't be defended against, for example.
-You're mentioning morale, which I assume is another feature? Why would prod, res and con be boosted? perhaps production at the expense of research and construction, but then your alliance's decision would totally influence your whole planet!

Quote:
Idea : No scan tech tree
Reason : eliminate the scanner problem all together
Usage : Scans get unlocked after x amount of ticks, amps and dists still in play for hardcore scanenrs, allows an even playing field for all players (both in alliance and solo'ers).
-Potential idea
-Still not sure about it, I think more branches would be nice
-Big dispute about when the scans become available!

Quote:
Idea : Capital City
Reason : Planet management
Usage : Makes the game more interesting, build enhancements for your planet, gives stuff to do during ticks, potential expertise in different areas (cons, res, cov-ops etc).
I don't understand what this is meant to do! What sort of planet management would there be? Also, I'd assume it could be something optional that only makes a small (<5-10%) difference in anything.

Quote:
Idea : Free planets
Reason : Get players in
Usage : Free planets with no limits, no explanation needed really.
tbh, we already have fairly limitless free planets. OMAC are discussing with us about changing this though.

Quote:
Idea : Currency
Reason : To let more active people enhance their experience of PA buy paying for items
Usage : In game currency (ie galactic credits) which you can use (ie finish off a research, enhance a construction, expand capital city). Wouldn't have a dramatic influence on the game but small and noticeable. Would generate income for OMAC.
-sure OMAC would approve!
-fairly vague, again! Also, would have to be carefully limited, so not sure about the whole "buy to help planet" thing if it's anything meaningful.

Quote:
Idea : Battle Enhancements
Reason : Get players in again
Usage : In-game graphics (maybe flash?), battle reports to help newbies work out what ship combos work well against what race
-heh. I hope you don't mean generating flash / graphics for each battle. That'd not work on its own. OMAC are, I believe, looking into more graphics.