User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Sep 2005, 18:19   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Unhappy Help! Nothing works :(

I have recently purchased an Asus A8N-SLI motherboard from Micro Direct. However, having mounted it in my case and installing a Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 3700+ and 1GB of Corsair memory I find that nothing seems to be working. I have connected only the processor and one DIMM of RAM and a keyboard but on powering up, the fans spin but the num lock on the keyboard does not light up and there are no beeps from the motherboard. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 18:45   #2
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Help! Nothing works :(

is the psu sufficient?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 18:55   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

should be, it's a Tagan TG480-U01
We shall remember them.
Unread 7 Sep 2005, 20:07   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

could be you fried it with static...more knowledgable people than me should answer tho...

i suggest you try swapping things with another rig if you have one handy.
Unread 8 Sep 2005, 17:08   #5
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Have you actually connected the monitor? Or a hard disk?
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 01:16   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Make sure you've plugged in any extra power leads.
Afaik that board requires a 24 pin ATX power lead AND a 4 pin 12 volt lead.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 09:55   #7
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

yep, i've had all the power leads plugged in. i've had it out the case running on an anti-static mat with nothing in it but the processor, memory and a keyboard and still nothing. The fact that it doesn't even beep at me (i've even put a different case speaker on it) seems to suggest that the motherboard is in fact ****ed
We shall remember them.
Unread 9 Sep 2005, 10:26   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

send it back and tell them it was like that when you got it.

are you absolutely sure you have the right power plugged in tho? I just recently installed an Abit board and altho i was almost 99% sure i was plugging in the right power connector it turned out that it wanted another one.

Make sure that the 4pin 12 volt coming from the tagan is the right one. From tagan (at least on mine) theres two outputs which fit into that slot. One is a blue lead the other black and attached to the main power thing (the big square one)

The black lead attached to the main power one didnt work yet the blue one did...

fiddle around but i suggest an rma if it doesnt work.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 00:00   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Yeah, i've plugged the blue P4 lead in (there's another blue one labelled +P4, so i might try that) but other than all the fans spinning, nothing happens. I'm trying to rma it, but Micro Direct want an invoice number before they'll give me an rma #, and i've only got an Order Ref and i can't get through to customer services. And to make matters worse, i've got to move into my uni accomodation in Hull on Sunday
We shall remember them.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 04:16   #10
Prawn
:o\

Prawn is on a distinguished road

When I was setting up my current system, using 1gb of corsair ram, I had a very similar problem. My housemate at the time fixed it by sticking in another stick of ram. Turns out my motherboard couldn't detect the 2-2-2-5 timings on the corsair ram and we had to set them manually... maybe this is your problem?
Prawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 09:50   #11
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

it could be, but i've tried it with no ram in it at all and still nothing, not even a beep
We shall remember them.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 10:05   #12
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Have you connected the speaker to be able to hear it beep? I've done that one before =(
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 13:48   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Right, i'm now thinking that it's the ram that's the problem, since i've turned it on with no ram and it's beeping at me once every 3 seconds. The trouble is, ASUS have very handily forgotten to print the beep code table in the manual so i've no idea what it means
We shall remember them.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 17:55   #14
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Endless loop indicates that it's detected improperly seated memory (ie. it noticed you took it out).
This suggests the BIOS is actually working.
Have you tried plugging speakers in with the memory installed? The A8N-SLI has POST speach reporting turned on by default, so it should actually tell you (in a shit american voice) what is wrong, if it gets that far.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 17:57   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/grou...m/185005284731

Read the bottom post.
Suggests you're definately having memory issues.
Unread 10 Sep 2005, 18:18   #16
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

cheers guys, i'll try pluggin in some speakers
We shall remember them.