User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 5 Jun 2004, 01:56   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
Brassed off Britain

So who did watch it? (btw I'm not aware if a thread of this nature has been posted before - well specifically related to the program anyway). For anyone interested, it was a series on BBC 1, exploring the various negative aspects of the industries present - such as Banks, Home Improvements, Mobile Phones, Call Centres etc.

Before I specifically go onto the winner (well the industry which most pisses Britain off), I have a few questions relating to some of the other areas.

- Are there any tactics to dealing with call centres/mobile phone companies who pass you on to someone else/another phone number but your problem never gets solved?

- Are there any tactics to dealing with customer support when you can just never get through? Any place you can complain?

- Is there any way to deal with getting a bank to actually listen to you?

Anyway, onto the winner which was Junk Mail. Forward onto the main purpose of this thread: how do you deal with the junk mail that God forbids, eaches your hands/dog's mouth?

I've received several credit card application forms when I'm not going to be 18 for another year and a bit, various restaraunt menus in several different smelling yet exactly the same layout & presentation and finally some advertisements such as "double glazing" when my premises already has double glazing which can be seen from a mile away.

Thanks
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 09:25   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Brassed off Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
- Are there any tactics to dealing with call centres/mobile phone companies who pass you on to someone else/another phone number but your problem never gets solved?
It really depends on the company. Most of these are obvious, but from my experience working and training people in customer services :

1. Take the name of everyone you speak to. Make it clear you're not being unfriendly, it's just you've had some problems in the past and you're anxious to get things sorted out this time.

If you do that, the call centre operative will treat the call slightly differently and you may have more results. If you want "evidence" you spoke to that particular person, ask them to change a trifling detail on your account (if you have one). e.g. ask them to change the spelling of your first name (slightly) or something. Or add a new telephone number. Most call-centre software will keep a record of any updates (and who made them) for audit purposes.

2. On a similar vein, keep records of all calls made, duration of each call, who you spoke to, etc. If nothing else, most companies allow you to reclaim the expenses of phone calls made (if they're relatively high). You'll need a send a copy of your bill of course.

3. Make a person you speak to take ownership of query. It's harder to do this in an environment where it's another telephone number, but if it's an internal transfer you can often reasonably ask the person you speak to look into it and get back to you (you can say you're pressed for time sometimes). Make sure you've been given a time specific promise (e.g. I'll call you by the end of tomorrow). Ask them for their direct line number to get them again (this isn't always possible in call-centres, but is more possible than they like to let you know).

4. Ask for head of the company / division and write them a personal letter (you can mark it "Private & Confidential" if you wish, but that doesn't always work) asking them to resolve the problem, the stress it's caused, etc. Don't threaten to sue them or anything, make it clear you want to business with them in the future, if only this could be sorted, etc. Again, make it time driven "I'd appreciate a response within 10 working days." (or similar).

5. If all that fails, phone and aks if they have a complaints procedure / leaflet, and could you be sent a copy. Write a letter and make sure it's headed "Formal Complaint". Ask them to treat it under their complaints procedure (knowing what it is will help, make sure they stick to it). Again, be reasonable in the letter. Don't demand compensation unless it's strictly justified. Ask for the contact details of the manager / officer who is dealing with the complaint.

Depending on the company, you will have different recourse. Most industries have an "Ombudsman" who ultimately, can fine the company, etc. But in most sectors you need to have gone through the companies internal complaints procedure first. If they're regulated more heavily (like the telecoms industry) you can complain directly to Oftel (although they'll be more willing to do something if you have complained directly to the company first).

6. Ask the CAB if they can draft a letter for you, and if they can clarify the legal position. Is what's happening illegal, a breach of company/industry policies, or simply annoying? A complaint from someone who knows their rights will be taken more seriously.

6. Write a letter to your MP / coucillor (this may not be appropriate) or trading standards, or Watchdog, or whomever. Make sure the company knows you are doing this before you do it so they have a chance to respond.

7. After this, you may need to consider legal action, but I'd imagine it'll be sorted way before this.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 09:41   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

- Are there any tactics to dealing with customer support when you can just never get through? Any place you can complain?
Find the phone number of the company's headquarters and phone it. Either that or just keep repeating the phrase "I'd like to speak to your superior, please".

Quote:
- Is there any way to deal with getting a bank to actually listen to you?
I'm afraid the only way to do this is by having money in your account rather than an overdraft. Also, "student accounts" are basically an easy way for the bank to mark you out as someone whose complaints and queries can be ignored.

Quote:
Anyway, onto the winner which was Junk Mail. Forward onto the main purpose of this thread: how do you deal with the junk mail that God forbids, eaches your hands/dog's mouth?
I tend to throw it out... it never struck me as particularly irritating.

Quote:
I've received several credit card application forms when I'm not going to be 18 for another year and a bit, various restaraunt menus in several different smelling yet exactly the same layout & presentation and finally some advertisements such as "double glazing" when my premises already has double glazing which can be seen from a mile away.
If they send you things in the post, just throw them out (technically, their offer to lend you money is illegal, but I think any legal proceedings might be an overreaction). If they phone you up tell them you're under 18 and they'll immediately lose interest. If they want to sell you home improvements, tell them your house is a listed building.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 10:43   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't get much in the way of junk mail these days.
Having said that, every year since I turned 18, WITHOUT FAIL, I get a birthday card from a nightclub in Nottingham that I've never been to (nor would I want to, it's a shithole). They're coming to get me...!
<shifty eye movements>
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 12:07   #5
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I voted for call centres, they really piss me off.

I dont really see that much of a problem with junk mail - sure its inconvenient but just throw it away!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2004, 15:56   #6
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
I voted for call centres, they really piss me off.

I dont really see that much of a problem with junk mail - sure its inconvenient but just throw it away!
Even though it is theoretically useless the TPS has stopped us from recieving all unsolicited calls apart from asian auto-diallers going down the phone book, establishing what numbers are picked up on. Subsequently a real operator calls back to not sell you double glazing.

We know if a company is working through the phone book because we have two numbers, both listed, but about 10 entries apart. This means that we get a call on one line then a couple of minutes later a call on another. It's funny when it is the same person who calls again and they recognise your angry voice