User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:05   #1
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
So I just watched "Dune" for the first time

And I must say, between seeing Lieutenant Einhorn from Ace Ventura and a long-haired Patrick Stewart, only a musical score by Toto could have made this movie completely insane.

One must truly be on spice to know what it all means, man...
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:08   #2
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i saw dune a while ago
it was the one with Sting in it.. that's about all i remember
is that the one you saw?
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:08   #3
Chojin
Muslim Jr.

Chojin is an unknown quantity at this point
It had too many B-movie elements.
Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:13   #4
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
i saw dune a while ago
it was the one with Sting in it.. that's about all i remember
is that the one you saw?
Indeed.

Anyone else notice the 'judges' from a certain dreaded movie?
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:25   #5
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
apparently there's a newer version of dune.
one day i might rent it.

for the 'comedy value' my sister gave me the dune soundtrack for christmas. this was before i had seen the movie. my sister is a nutjob :\
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:43   #6
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
for the 'comedy value' my sister gave me the dune soundtrack for christmas. this was before i had seen the movie. my sister is a nutjob :\
And apparently thinks you don't realize that every track on that CD sounds exactly the same I bet. Well, that's how it seemed throughout the movie, using the same "battle bombom!" score every action sequence, heh.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 06:44   #7
Aryn
Happy

i don't think i've actually listened to it yet.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 10:19   #8
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
There was a TV miniseries from SciFI about two years ago - it's very close to the book and you can 'acquire' it on 'DVD'.

I haven't seen any TV or film version that comes close to being as amazing as the book though.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 10:43   #9
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
THE BIG WORM THING PWNZ YOU
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 10:49   #10
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society
The books were better than the film, not that being better than the film was much of a challenge.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 10:50   #11
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Re: So I just watched "Dune" for the first time

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
And I must say, between seeing Lieutenant Einhorn from Ace Ventura and a long-haired Patrick Stewart, only a musical score by Toto could have made this movie completely insane.

Im embarrased to say now, but Dune (the orginal) is one of my faviourite movies off all time

I've watched it about 6 times because it took that long to finally understand it all..hehe

Great book also though.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 10:55   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I remember reading that Lynch had about 8 hours of footage that didnt make it to the movie, now THAT would be one serious directors cut

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 11:03   #13
Zeus
True Gamer

Zeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the roughZeus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
I remember reading that Lynch had about 8 hours of footage that didnt make it to the movie, now THAT would be one serious directors cut

Vaio
Indeed it was the most expensive movie made at that point in time.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 11:03   #14
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio

Vaio
It would make sense, from my standpoint. I've not read, or even know much of the original book/storyline beyond "the movie" I saw, and even watching it there were portions, bits of scenes even, that just appeared to be missing things, details, whatever, that made the movie seem incomplete. Yet the movie took ages to finish, and like Zeus, I know I'm going to have to watch it again to understand some of the deeper plot points of the movie.

At least I didn't compare Paul to Luke Skywalker the whole movie, heh. :/
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 11:16   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
The film starts of great, I think the second half is pretty crappy though. It kind of lose direction I feel.
It isn't all that close to the books either with the "weirding modules", though that's not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

I didn't like the mini series. Though to be fair I think it was mainly because it was made for TV and the production values weren't very high.

As for the book, it's great, a classic. I read the second book too and thought it was shockingly bad by comparison. I'm not going to read the other 4 books because apparently each book in the series gets worse as it goes along. Anybody read all 6?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 11:47   #16
treelo
Kyuss/qotsa > Deffeh ffs

treelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
i watched the thing with a couple of mates after eating a rather nice cake.....if u follow me

trust me....it makes even less sense.

the only two things i can remember are the bit with the hand (see system of a down's first album cover)
and i think its the last line of the film.

truely the strangest film ever.....but the books f*cking rock!

Waiting for the Sun.
treelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 13:19   #17
Freakozoid
Anon.

Freakozoid is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't remember it being that complicated...

Two opposing Houses

One attacked the other for control of the planet Arrakis

they had these sound guns.

Paul helped the people who lived on Dune win it back.

The books any good?
Freakozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 14:24   #18
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I've only seen it once and that was years ago, all I recall are giant worm thingies, lots and lots of desert, some blue poisoness stuff that a guy drinks then his eyes go blue, a bloke blind folded trying to dodge lasers from some machine (no to certain on this one?).

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 14:26   #19
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: So I just watched "Dune" for the first time

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Im embarrased to say now, but Dune (the orginal) is one of my faviourite movies off all time

I've watched it about 6 times because it took that long to finally understand it all..hehe

Great book also though.
I thought it was a great movie too - and yeah, i had to watch it at least 3 times to understand any of it - the first time i had no idea what the hell was going on

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:29   #20
Yaroslav
Whooopaa!

Yaroslav can only hope to improve
The film was quite incomplete. Once I readed the books and saw the film again I liked it a lot. It's hard to understand anything without having readed the books.
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:33   #21
Lord Talon

Lord Talon is an unknown quantity at this point
there is an expanded version that restores some of the scenes cut from the original and does help with understanding what it going on (especially tying in where the water of life comes from). I got a lot more out of it watching it more than once (first time it seemed pretty bizarre). Need to read the books though.
Lord Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 17:54   #22
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough
Ive seen the Origional, and thought it was good.
Then I saw the new version - 6 hours long divided into 3 parts - and realised what a complete fruitcake DDavid Lynch is.

The New Dune is top, is not on drugs, and has some pretty impressive CGI.