User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 1 Feb 2004, 16:49   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Idiotic question about file formats

Any way to easily change between mpg and avi files? Or suggestions for making mpg's smaller.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 16:51   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Idiotic question about file formats

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...arch=+Go%2521+

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...verter&spell=1
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 17:46   #3
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Nodrog to the rescue!
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:01   #4
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Idiotic question about file formats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
Any way to easily change ...
No
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:06   #5
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
'ren movie.mpg movie.avi'
believe it or not, but this won't work!!!
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:22   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Tried a couple of programs, but they were one-way, avi --> something. If theres no easy way, how do i go about achieving this reduction in size?

Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:27   #7
JetLinus

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of

If you're able answer this question perfectly, you'll be a rich man!
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:30   #8
JetLinus

Seriously now: AVI is not a real format, it's a container, i.e. it contains audio and video streams of different formats. You can convert them (not change), if you want to.
You need to choose codecs and configure them wisely, to preserve quality (or just deteriorate slightly) and to reduce size.
For video I'd suggest DivX or Xvid using 2pass encoding and VBR. Might as well use MPEG2 (SVCD compatible).
Audio usually goes well with MP3 (VBR if you want) or Ogg Vorbis...
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:34   #9
JetLinus

Programs worth getting (IMO):
  • VirtualDub (with AVISynth, e.g. for MPEG loading) - Can convert avi-streams to any format you want, using the installed codecs. Nice piece of software indeed. Use this for any AVI you want to write
  • TMPGenc - MPEG encoder, to produce VCD and SVCD compatible files... Works fine as well

Note: You should be a bit "advanced" to use this programs
Unread 1 Feb 2004, 18:48   #10
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Well, thanks for your help, but im a ****ing idiot, so i'll just get round to installing my DVD+/- Rewriter and shove them on a couple of Rewritable disks. (Presuming thats possible, otherwise ive wasted £90 odds)

Unread 1 Feb 2004, 19:03   #11
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I have movie files that are about 220MB in size, and .mpg in format. I have similar movie files of the same length and no discernable difference in quality (there probably is but im not fussy) that are as small as 40-60MB. I wondered if i could reduce the size of the movie files.

Unread 2 Feb 2004, 13:41   #12
JetLinus

Oh, so you have downloaded TV episodes?
K, my guess: The .mpg Files are MPEG1-Stream, and Video-CD ready. If you put them through your CD-Writer, and if you are careful enough about the format, you have created a proper VCD. Which should be playable by your standalone DVD player (if it doesn't suck).

The .avi files are probably TV episodes as well, but DivX or whatever. They're smaller, YES, but IMO: Quality is worse. Especially for cartoons (hello Futurama and Family Guy).

And you should enjoy having the files on VCDs.
You can have simple menus and you don't have as many codec problems...

Really, IMO the 220mb files should be FAR better than the 60mb version [/2cent]
Unread 2 Feb 2004, 14:55   #13
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Oh, so you have downloaded TV episodes?
K, my guess: The .mpg Files are MPEG1-Stream, and Video-CD ready. If you put them through your CD-Writer, and if you are careful enough about the format, you have created a proper VCD. Which should be playable by your standalone DVD player (if it doesn't suck).

The .avi files are probably TV episodes as well, but DivX or whatever. They're smaller, YES, but IMO: Quality is worse. Especially for cartoons (hello Futurama and Family Guy).

And you should enjoy having the files on VCDs.
You can have simple menus and you don't have as many codec problems...

Really, IMO the 220mb files should be FAR better than the 60mb version [/2cent]
Its a shitload of Family Guys.

Thing is dude, i dont have a standalone DVD player. Ive downloaded these for my viewing pleasure for when i go back to stirling (although ill have the internet i wont have P2P capabilities). While there may be a loss in quality, as a student who is stealing these to sit in a room with smelly students and watch them, i am not overly bothered . What i am bothered about is my diminishing space.

I dont know much about DVD writing, is it possible just to use 4.3GB DVD disks to store files on much like a CD-R ?

Unread 2 Feb 2004, 15:55   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

thanks tubby

Unread 3 Feb 2004, 00:58   #15
JetLinus

I'd suggest just to get the "Family Guy DVD Compendium", due out end of February, around 100ish Euros. I pre-ordered it . 3 Seasons, ~50 episodes apparently.
That'll probably be less or about as much as you spent on that DVD-writer