User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:25   #1
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
American History X

Did anybody watch this film on Channel 4 (or by pure coincidence video/dvd roflz) last night?

I did, and it was the first time I have seen the film. And I would have to say it is one of the best films I have ever seen, some of the shots in it are superb. The acting is aswell and Norton played his character excellently, as well as the storyline etc. etc. It was a really powerful movie throughout, especially at the end. :'(

Also Edward Furlong is hot, not now obviously because he's a heroin addict, or 'whatever'
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:29   #2
H1TMANish
BlueTuba

H1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant futureH1TMANish has a brilliant future
Re: American History X

it was 'alright', i liked it when he got his jaw cruched on the pavement though
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:32   #3
AllFather|away
Big Kahuna

AllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really niceAllFather|away is just really nice

good movie,bought it ages ago on dvd.
jawcrushing scene was the most fun.

got two other "highlights":

when chubby sits in the car singing : "kill the negros" or something
when the toddler gets shot in the end.

DTA
Support the liberation of "AllFather"
AllFather|away is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:46   #4
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

I only saw the last half hour, but I liked it. Great movie
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:50   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I've seen it before and to be honest it didn't impress me too much.

Movies like that basically exist to send out the message "racism is bad" and since I already knew that there wasn't much point in me watching the film.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 16:53   #6
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

its anti-racist message didn't work, it just inspired me to start up a neo-nazi gang in my neighborhood. SIEG HEIL!
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:31   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyChecker
I've seen it before and to be honest it didn't impress me too much.

Movies like that basically exist to send out the message "racism is bad" and since I already knew that there wasn't much point in me watching the film.
Why do you watch anything; in nigh on all films, the 'good guys' win in the end.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:46   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

I don't have a problem with the good guys winning.
What makes you think i do?
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 18:50   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the good guys winning.
What makes you think i do?
Because you know they will, and hence, by your logic, make the whole thing pointless.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:03   #10
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

I didn't say that I disliked American History X because it's predictable, I dislike it because I wasn't very impressed with its message.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:11   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I didn't say that I disliked American History X because it's predictable, I dislike it because I wasn't very impressed with its message.
I take it you also don't like Toy Story 1/2 [friends are good!], The Emperor's New Groove [don't be a bastard] or Monty Python and the Holy Grail [watch out for rabbits]?
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:13   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the emperors new groove is brilliant, i saw that in the cinema when i was bored one day
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:15   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
the emperors new groove is brilliant, i saw that in the cinema when i was bored one day
mmm extract of llama
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:19   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Movies like that basically exist to send out the message "racism is bad"
I think the movie existed to tell a story, and to entertain.

I didn't find the film's main message to be anti-racist - although the director/writer may have intended that. The messages I came away with from the film :
1. There are some psychotics out there, of all races.
2. That being involved in gang violence probably isn't too smart.
3. That whites in some areas are in a quasi-oppressed minority, and probably should form mutual associations to defend their rights.
4. That most black people will try to do you in, by robbing your house, trying to rape you, or shooting your kid brother. There is one cool black guy out there, who worked in a prison laundry.
5. Joining a nazi skin head gang in prison probably isn't too smart either. They all sell out by co-operating with "the enemy".

*shrug*

I enjoyed the movie, btw.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 19:56   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I take it you also don't like Toy Story 1/2 [friends are good!], The Emperor's New Groove [don't be a bastard] or Monty Python and the Holy Grail [watch out for rabbits]?
You doth presume too much!
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:01   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So, in fact, you lied when you said you didn't like American History X because it gave across a message you already knew.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:02   #17
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
That would be "thou dost".

In old English "-th" is 3rd person and "you" is plural.

(Pedantry rocks )
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:27   #18
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I watched it and liked it (i missed the first 45 mins tho so i shall have to re-watch again at some point).
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:31   #19
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

ah fck i missed it, on the other hand ive got amelie on video and will watch it tonight
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 20:54   #20
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
So, in fact, you lied when you said you didn't like American History X because it gave across a message you already knew.
I just thought it was laid on too thickly. Like it was some kind of revelation, or Ed Norton's character was a frickin' genius for having figured it out all by himself.
I can't think of any other films that beat you round the head with their message so much, but if I do think of one I'll probably remember not liking it either.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:02   #21
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I didn't think the film's message was 'anti-racism'.

I'm pretty sure the message was:

'Hate doesn't do you any good. It consumes you and generally ****s you up"

As it was the conclusion of the essay and 'hate is bad for you' was stated several times im pretty confident im correct.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:14   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I can't think of any other films that beat you round the head with their message so much, but if I do think of one I'll probably remember not liking it either.
American Beauty.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:15   #23
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Funny you should mention American Beauty, I thought that was shit too. Full of cliches and stereotypes. Oh, that homophobic guy was actually gay? I didn't see that coming!!!!!!!!!11
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:23   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Minority Report, Comedy 'Schindler's List' Option
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 21:39   #25
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Clockwork Orange: Crap movie

Platoon: I enjoyed it. Not because of its "War is bad, m'kay" message, I just thought it was a good action movie.

Minority Report: Again, good action movie. I don't remember any message though.

Schindler's List: I saw it when it came out, never since. I don't really remember it.
Unread 12 Oct 2003, 23:27   #26
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Quote:
Funny you should mention American Beauty, I thought that was shit too. Full of cliches and stereotypes. Oh, that homophobic guy was actually gay? I didn't see that coming!!!!!!!!!11
the cliches and stereotypes were deliberate. man you seriously need to do media studies gcse
Unread 13 Oct 2003, 07:57   #27
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomers III
the cliches and stereotypes were deliberate.
That's what made the film shit

Pay attention man!