User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 30 May 2006, 19:55   #1
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society
Computer help please

My mates PC died yesterday so I have replaced the power unit, all the fans are spinning now but the monitor is picking up no input signal. I'm pretty sure I have plugged in all the relevant components as they all apear to be functioning all except no input signal to the monitor. Any ideas what could be wrong please?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Unread 30 May 2006, 19:58   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Computer help please

There's something wrong with the motherboard or graphics card or PSU or the way you've connected everything!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:04   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

What kind of mobo is it? If it's an ASUS A8N-SLi, have you connected the molex connector that's just above the pci slots? Because if you haven't, there won't be any power going to the graphics card (took me about a month to work this out )
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:23   #4
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

It's an AS Rock motherboard, not sure what model but it has ATA 133 and AGP 8X printed on it. I have one lead from the power supply plugged into the motherboard, hard disc, floppy, main fan and CD Drive and I have checked everything else is connected correctly but still no luck. He will just have to take it to PC World tomorrow, thanks anyway gents.
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:34   #5
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

You do normally have to plug two cables into the motherboard, one long main one(20 pin I think) and one 4 pin (usually towards the back panel of the motherboard)...

Is there a graphics card or is it onboard graphics? Some graphics cards require you to connect one of the power supply plugs to them.
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:36   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
It's an AS Rock motherboard, not sure what model but it has ATA 133 and AGP 8X printed on it. I have one lead from the power supply plugged into the motherboard, hard disc, floppy, main fan and CD Drive and I have checked everything else is connected correctly but still no luck. He will just have to take it to PC World tomorrow, thanks anyway gents.
Does it beep when you turn it on?
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:43   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Can you hear it post and begin loading windows or does it just do nothing?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:47   #8
PSH
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
You do normally have to plug two cables into the motherboard, one long main one(20 pin I think) and one 4 pin (usually towards the back panel of the motherboard)...

Is there a graphics card or is it onboard graphics? Some graphics cards require you to connect one of the power supply plugs to them.
It was my mate who unplugged it all and he is sure he only unplugged one socket on the motherboard and I think it has onboard graphics because the monitor plugs into a box attached to the MB as opposed to a card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Does it beep when you turn it on?
There is no beep, just the noise of the fans and HD.
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:49   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Then you've not plugged something in. It should always post, even if you've not plugged the graphics card in. There's a problem with the way things have been plugged into the motherboard, the PSU, or the motherboard itself.
Unread 30 May 2006, 20:59   #10
PSH
Registered Abuser

Pretty sure everything is plugged in ok, he is going to get someone else to have a look because we are both PC 'tards.
Unread 30 May 2006, 21:00   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Pretty sure everything is plugged in ok, he is going to get someone else to have a look because we are both PC 'tards.
If you haven't made a mistake, the motherboard's fried. End of.
Unread 30 May 2006, 22:06   #12
PSH
Registered Abuser

Well the power lead is a bit suspect IMO, when I plug it into the base unit or move it slightly it makes a crackling sound so that could be the cause of the problems.
Unread 30 May 2006, 22:11   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

i had this problem, it was a dead motherboard.

power supplies sometimes take them with them when they die.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 May 2006, 23:38   #14
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i didnt want to be the bringer of doom but its the reason i had to do a major upgrade late last year.

psu fried the mobo and i think the gfx card after id left it off for over a month. turned pc on. hour later everything freezes and then it wouldnt post or boot. fans ran like on your pc but nothing else.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 May 2006, 23:40   #15
PSH
Registered Abuser

Sounds pricey, glad it wasn't my computer.
Unread 1 Jun 2006, 13:12   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

are you sure you've put the chip in correctly? First time I had a PC, i was convinced my graphics card was having issues (I'd just broken a transistor off it) but it turned out that it was working fine and I'd not put the chip in properly