User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 23 Sep 2003, 15:23   #1
Telest
Agitator

Telest is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy What we lost

This is the traditional "what we lost" thread. In other words - what did we lose from previous Planetarion rounds (in terms of gameplay, not features).

First let me say that I feel many of the features in new PA are good and hold potential for improved gameplay. On the other hand, many were painfully broken in beta, and some are still broken.

I think that many agree that the most significant transition was from known ('given in manual') to unknown ('not given in the manual') formulas. First of all, adding unknown factors to combat causes many undesired effects:

-Not knowing how combat works people are forced to 'take it safe'. Attackers are forced to bash, defenders are forced to overkill. At least slightly, though both will slowly refine as the formulas unravel. In faster-paced games this is usually not important, as you can iterate and try to find out what works. Attacking once to thrice per day doesn't give you much basis for iteration and experience.

-Not knowing how score is gained, people are mostly flailing about blindly. If score is supposed to be a representation of smart attacks, good defences (and possibly clever covert operations) then it's highly discouraging not to know what a "smart attack" or a "good defence" is. If you do know in principle, you still do not have any numbers, which can only be found out by testing.

-Not being able to advice your mates. Used to be that one could draw fairly good conclusions by looking at the stats. One could learn the game from the manual (even though it did have some errors and discrepancies). Not so this round. Many of the old PA players were put to face the decision if they wanted to spend one month of the round learning PA again (instead of spending two days before it as it used to).

Two of my mates chose not to, after asking me "How should I start?" "What should I build?" "What race is good?"
Rounds hone I'd answer: "depends", "depends" and "depends" and then go on explaining about about various possibilities. For this round, my explanation was triple "I've no clue".

-Probably the most devastating aspect of the changes is what it does to new players of the game. They are left virtually blind. Experienced players have experience, alliance sources for statistics, access to starting plans, analysis on fleet compositions etc. This information - which is often kept secret from anyone outside one's own group of contacts - seldom gets to the new players. Planetarion is even less friendly to new people than it used to be.

We also lost the 'invisible negotiations' between attacker and the defender. Most planetarion players remember thinking that "their target should run". This round, it's possible to know that the target 'should run', but it's highly questionable that the player you are attacking would know it. When you do not know if running your fleet will increase your asteroid losses, you are likely not to run and just see out the attacker's hand. Used to be that you could fine-tune your fleet to take minimal losses for maximal asteroid capture (occasionally choose a compromise in between) AND attempt to construct your fleet such that the defender would have most initiative to run (sending a 13% capture fleet occasionally gave defender initiative to run, as killing portions of the attacking fleet would actually have increased the capture percentage). The metagame was largely destroyed.

Planetarion added a lot of valuable strategical options and carefully hid the information of how to use them from players.

These I feel were the most significant things we lost. I'm sure there are others (post your opinions here ). hopefullu the content of the post justified that it be posted in strategy forums instead of general discussion. For me, PA was always a strategy game (with political twist, of course) and I've approached the topic mostly from that perspective.
Telest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 16:15   #2
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel the game's lost a lot of pace. This def suits people who use the old R2 advice and log in 3 times a day.

Tech seems slower and annoying but that is good imo, it's comforting knowing the guy who has capital ships doesn't have the ability to use roids he caps or doesn't have traveltime or vice-versa. This is the first round with real tradeoffs on tech.

I haven't played since the beginning of R8 and only signed up 2h before ticks started. I had no idea but got given a 48h plan I didn't understand. I spent about 6 hours on the sunday reading the manual, reading forum posts and speaking to people. While I don't feel I know all the answers I feel I know stuff well enough to make a judgement, I have a feel for ship damage already. The information is there if only ppl want to look for it.

Big things I miss:

The journal.... I am probbaly responsible for it being ditched cos I rammed it full of everything going.

I miss scans loads. It's a real compromise now and scans are going to have to come a lot later down the research path.

I miss the race differences. There are differences no but not nearly enough when you had the option to steal or emp or be invisible. I hope some of these traits return.

I miss details of incs an outgoings. You just have no idea what your galmate has incoming or if he even has fleets home.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 17:04   #3
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough
The new combat system sucks. Bring back the old ones with different type of ships rather than all 4 races just having about 5 "normal" ships each.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 20:53   #4
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Seed of Chaos
The new combat system sucks. Bring back the old ones with different type of ships rather than all 4 races just having about 5 "normal" ships each.
IF you don't give valid arguements you shouldn't posts here, that's more something for GD ffs. Too bad I dont have the time to write my own positive look about the system atm...
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 21:29   #5
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
All i have lost really is the difference between races. I would like (and expect) to see the EMP/cloacked & stealing ships back in the next round, just cuz they are sooo much extra fun and give some visible differences between races \o/.

Other then that there isn't much i miss really, the combat system is fine and fun. Hardly anyone is untouchable and thats a thing i like, 1 tick attack and defence give more attack options & strategies.. Fun fun fun
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 08:45   #6
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Seed of Chaos will become famous soon enoughSeed of Chaos will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by General Martok
IF you don't give valid arguements you shouldn't posts here, that's more something for GD ffs. Too bad I dont have the time to write my own positive look about the system atm...
What you talking about? Is loss of combat variety not a valid argument? What's wrong with wanting to bring back ship stats similar to the old rounds, where there were more ships per race, and the ships built by each race has its own unique features making each race more distinct? GD is for non-planetarion discussions. I'm answering the "what we've lost from the old round" question.
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 20:44   #7
Psyon
Idiot

Psyon is an unknown quantity at this point
i really like the new PAX..

only major complaint is that one is unable to see outgoings\incomings ship count of gal-mates, both are never seen? ....not all of us live in one country\timezone to be online at the same time to tell each other how many ships are coming. so, since i have no way to know if i can split my fleet to protect both gal-mate and myself from a double attack, my gal-mate is $#@! out of luck... not really a community game in that respect...

go ahead and flame me for speaking whats on my mind.

it seems there is alot of inmature people who cant have a calm adult argument these days.

"All facts are swept aside that fail to conform to what has become a self sustaining reality"
Psyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 08:38   #8
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

you can still see incomming shipcount for gal mates, just not outgoing ones. It's not as clear as before, though, as you don't get a page especially for it. It's now all on the overview page. They appear just after descriptions of your fleet. But the section only appear if your gal has incommings. Otherwise, you see nothing :P
Unread 25 Sep 2003, 09:43   #9
Breeze

Breeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Seed of Chaos
you can still see incomming shipcount for gal mates, just not outgoing ones.
Check again ... you can see that your galmates have incoming, but no information on numbers. No milscans either, so all you can do is unit scan and take a wild guess. A unit scan, number of incoming and ship eta used to mean you could take an educated guess and maybe send defence. I agree with Psyon that's far less likely now.

Mainly what is missing is information, plus a little variety with races/eta. I'm not sure that's the reason for bashing though, people always did oversend to discourage defence.

What isn't missing: the need for a good alliance/galaxy, and a bout of insomnia. Although Gerbie (sorry not sure if that's correct) seems determined to disprove that

Oh and one other thing not missing - forums that log you out and swallow your nicely thought out reply so what you end up posting is some scribbled shadow of the original...
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Sep 2003, 12:10   #10
Seed of Chaos
Pr0f3ss10na1 P30n

Quote:
Originally posted by Breeze
Check again ... you can see that your galmates have incoming, but no information on numbers. No milscans either, so all you can do is unit scan and take a wild guess. A unit scan, number of incoming and ship eta used to mean you could take an educated guess and maybe send defence. I agree with Psyon that's far less likely now.
Ah I see - didn't read it through properly... my mistake