User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Apr 2004, 08:27   #1
bintara

bintara will become famous soon enoughbintara will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Is this a new tactics or game?

NoS server goes down...NoS gets waved soon thereafter (being attacked by MPF)

is this how PA community play now ... since i left PA few rounds ago?
i just need your comments ...

*note*:i dont ahve proof whose doing the DOS attack .. but i will try to find out ...
Ex Insomnia
Ex ToF
Ex Subh
VGN

Last edited by bintara; 29 Apr 2004 at 08:45.
bintara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 09:06   #2
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough
Re: Is this a new tactics or game?

Its always happened even in past rounds.

Its called cheating

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 09:23   #3
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Pack server dies, incoming starts.

Still waiting to hear on the cause though.

I hope it was a technical problem rather than anything else for the good of the game.

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 10:14   #4
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzelaar
Pack server dies, incoming starts.

Still waiting to hear on the cause though.

I hope it was a technical problem rather than anything else for the good of the game.
Nah I hacked the server at 3am with a script cause i am so 1337

I then hacked the nos server and still had enough time for spamming some channels yelling at peopl and being generally antisocial.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 10:34   #5
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumad
Nah I hacked the server at 3am with a script cause i am so 1337

I then hacked the nos server and still had enough time for spamming some channels yelling at peopl and being generally antisocial.
You may make fun of it mate, but everyone knows where one of the possible causes come from. But like I said, I hope this proves to be not the case and that some technicaly difficulty caused the loss of services. I certainly wouldn't go throwing DDoS attack accusations round without any proof. But sadly in the past where there has been smoke there has more often than not been fire.

Please do not take what I say as an accusation, far from it. Just call me a sceptical optimist

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 11:22   #6
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
You may make fun of it mate, but everyone knows where one of the possible causes come from. But like I said, I hope this proves to be not the case and that some technicaly difficulty caused the loss of services. I certainly wouldn't go throwing DDoS attack accusations round without any proof. But sadly in the past where there has been smoke there has more often than not been fire.

Please do not take what I say as an accusation, far from it. Just call me a sceptical optimist
WP server has always been up and down like a prostitutes kickers.

And yeah i make fun of it because I find it hillarious - also I have about as much technical ability as a ludite trying to work out how to program cobalt (I am sure that hammeris around here somewhere!)
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 11:35   #7
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
WP server has always been up and down like a prostitutes kickers.
True - which is one reason why I refuse to accuse anyone of anything. But even you must admit (and I'm not only pointing at fang btw as each alliance have thier own assholes) that the sceptics among us can see the potential of the situation?

Quote:
I am sure that hammeris around here somewhere
Is that not how you do it.....damn!

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 11:41   #8
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
True - which is one reason why I refuse to accuse anyone of anything. But even you must admit (and I'm not only pointing at fang btw as each alliance have thier own assholes) that the sceptics among us can see the potential of the situation?

Is that not how you do it.....damn!
Have a look at my post on the honour thread, may give youa different tack on things
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 11:52   #9
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Have a look at my post on the honour thread, may give youa different tack on things

I'm not sure how any of that applies to this situation?

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 11:54   #10
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

hmmm when I was in NoS the server went down a fair bit tbh. Mostly in fact it was due to dossing, but almsot certinly not due to anything pa related. Large irc hosting services liek the one NoS uses are generally targets for dossing.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:03   #11
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Kal, NoS arent on vincerenet anymore, ok, our server arent the worlds most stable ones, but when servers crash massively at 02:00 and incs on 20 planets are being reported from 02:05, you kinda automaticly stop looking for other explainations than pa related crime

* We do not exist *

* G-II * NoS * VsN * Ascendancy * Osiris * xVx * Ultores *

DrunkenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:04   #12
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
I'm not sure how any of that applies to this situation?
absolutely nothing o this situation - just thought you might wanan read my post ;D
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:05   #13
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
Kal, NoS arent on vincerenet anymore, ok, our server arent the worlds most stable ones, but when servers crash massively at 02:00 and incs on 20 planets are being reported from 02:05, you kinda automaticly stop looking for other explainations than pa related crime
any evidence of dos attack?

The owner of the server can provide as his entire system would have gone down.
Proud to be Independent
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:11   #14
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
absolutely nothing o this situation - just thought you might wanan read my post ;D
lol

you crack me up, you really do

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:11   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenViking
chimpie i know exaclty where your server is - i probably added it to u......

i knew about it before u did - and i know it had huge stability issues and dos attack problems due to the network it is hosted on.

And yes the server did tend to ahve msot problems in ther GMT night as thats when the achine the server was on was msot loaded due to the US users.

its quite sad that people have forgotten me allready

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:12   #16
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:

Which is why all judgement and people shooting thier mouths off should be reserved until it's proven beyond doubt.

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:21   #17
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

MISTU server has gone down a couple of times too. Of course, we get a few incomings then too. You don't see us complaining about it though. We have backups and emergency plans for that situation.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 12:43   #18
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

DrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud ofDrunkenViking has much to be proud of

Quote:

Nope, thats why i didnt blame anyone, or accuse anyone. I only said that one tend to stop looking for other explainations, i know i did. The irc server gets cnutted the worst it has since we started using it the same night as we get the most incoming all round by far.... i'm just saying.... and i'm sure you would say the same if it was you

* We do not exist *

Unread 29 Apr 2004, 13:10   #19
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
MISTU server has gone down a couple of times too. Of course, we get a few incomings then too. You don't see us complaining about it though. We have backups and emergency plans for that situation.
A few - don't make me laugh mate.

And no-one is complaining. I'm actually driving the bandwagon for finding out exactly what happened first before the obvious, yet very tiresome, FAnG accusations.

And knowing your tech dept I have no doubt they are perfectly able to tell whether the server was attacked or not and if it had been the case I'm sure it would've been mentioned at some point.

Stop trying to incite things, it doesn't become you.

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 13:28   #20
Illogical
Property of merle

Illogical is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i couldnt see Rumad behind a DDos attack somehow, hes doesnt play a game like that, and as for WP getting incoming when the server went down, well duh, who doenst take advantage when you only got 18 members in your backup channel on netgamers, i did laugh soo much when you said OH SHIT we got 2 x 200k incoming
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 13:34   #21
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Stop trying to incite things, it doesn't become you.

Is that because I'm fluffy and cuddlable?
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 13:38   #22
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Is that because I'm fluffy and cuddlable?
oh, you're much nicer than that and you know it ;-)

/me <3 Tomkat

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 13:44   #23
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical
Well i couldnt see Rumad behind a DDos attack somehow, hes doesnt play a game like that, and as for WP getting incoming when the server went down, well duh, who doenst take advantage when you only got 18 members in your backup channel on netgamers, i did laugh soo much when you said OH SHIT we got 2 x 200k incoming

I don't anyone in PA would even begin to think rumad had anything to do with it but every alliance has thier bad eggs.

And please don't misquote me

[11:06] <mazzelaar> 175908 INCOMING HOSTILES
[11:06] <mazzelaar> \o/

Other people didn't take it so well:

[11:07] <mazzelaar> 2 200k incoming calls
[11:07] <mazzelaar> who wants them?
[11:08] <Outh-Away> do you mean 200k each tick?
[11:08] <mazzelaar> no
[11:08] <Outh-Away> this tick?
[11:08] <mazzelaar> 200k on me
[11:08] <mazzelaar> 200k on <xxxx>
[11:08] <mazzelaar> round figures
[11:08] <mazzelaar> mebbe just a bti less
[11:09] <Outh-Away> you got 200000 incoming this tick
[11:09] <Outh-Away> o m f g

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 15:15   #24
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

No people have always done this, sort your backup rally points and stop whining you useless peons.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 15:32   #25
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point

2 reasons for this:

1) Cheating scum
2) Server goes down and someone lets it become public knowledge so the enemies decide to capitalies.

Reason 2 is theoretical and shouldn't be taken seriously. And yes, this has happened all throughout PA history and is lame beyond belief.

What I really don't get is why ppl even use private servers. They are just a liability and properly managed chanels on netgamers are as secure as you need with however many ppl play nowadays.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 16:45   #26
DrunkenViking
Retard0r

No current alliance are organized enough to kick off an attack like this with 5 minute preparations. so #2 is not relevant. And Hicks, even because ppl has done this since dawn of time doesnt mean it have to be tolerated does it?

edit: stupid typos.

* We do not exist *

Last edited by DrunkenViking; 29 Apr 2004 at 16:51.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 17:28   #27
Kal
Inactive peon

may i say that the attack on wp had been running for many ticks before wps servers went down....

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 29 Apr 2004, 17:48   #28
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
may i say that the attack on wp had been running for many ticks before wps servers went down....
I have to add that this was indeed the case, but the really big incoming on the biggest pack planet was launched approx 15-20 mins after the servers dropped.

Nothing meant by this - I'm just informing.

Quote:
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 18:00   #29
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Agree with Kal there.. NoS-Net gets DoSsed, but I don't think it's PA related this time... But in round 9 it certainly was
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 18:08   #30
Borg
Proud NoSser

Borg is on a distinguished road

Quote:

well it sorta does appear an artifical crash of the system. admitedly I know bugger all about how they run, but from what I understood having "bouncers" down and being unable to remotely access anything on the system does sound rather wierd, as does rebooting and still having the same problem.

cant speculate as to who (if anybody) is doing the dirty work, cuz without proof I would be pointing fingers that could well be crooked. if I did have proof I would be spammin every channel on NG with it, as well as every thread in these here forums just to push the proof out so everybody kneew who the devious cheating scum was

as it is, NoS is organised enough to have a backup chan on NG and so altho any dos attack can cause a few glitches, its not something that we cant deal with

Proud to be NoS

My views are my personal views and are not a statement from NoS
Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 19:46   #31
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

WP also has extensive backup plans....we have two private servers, as well as a backup channel on netgamers. However, having your main server and services go down does hurt. Whether it was a DoS attack or not is yet to be determined. We will have to wait until Darky can say whether the server crashed because of DoS attack, or because he downloaded too much pr0n again
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 19:59   #32
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Can I show off Ely's IRC system yet? : )

3 IRCd's with dynamic links, so if one server is down the other 2 will connect to each other, the network wont be split.
Our main IRC services backup their database to another server every hour, and we have a modified 2nd copy of those services running with the bots NickServ2, ChanServ2, etc. If the main services go offline (either via software problems, bad connection or DDoS) the backup services will activate. The IRCd transparently forwards all PMs to services bots to the reserve if they're offline (so if you '/msg NickServ', NickServ2 will recieve it).

Code:
Hades.ElysiumHQ.com         Client Server
|-Acheron.ElysiumHQ.com     Client Server
|-Thanatos.ElysiumHQ.com    Backup Services
`-Venus.ElysiumHQ.com       Client Server
  `-Services.ElysiumHQ.com  Main Services
I'm happy with the system.
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 20:21   #33
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Can I show off Ely's IRC system yet? : )

3 IRCd's with dynamic links, so if one server is down the other 2 will connect to each other, the network wont be split.
Our main IRC services backup their database to another server every hour, and we have a modified 2nd copy of those services running with the bots NickServ2, ChanServ2, etc. If the main services go offline (either via software problems, bad connection or DDoS) the backup services will activate. The IRCd transparently forwards all PMs to services bots to the reserve if they're offline (so if you '/msg NickServ', NickServ2 will recieve it).

Code:
Hades.ElysiumHQ.com Client Server
|-Acheron.ElysiumHQ.com Client Server
|-Thanatos.ElysiumHQ.com Backup Services
`-Venus.ElysiumHQ.com Client Server
`-Services.ElysiumHQ.com Main Services
I'm happy with the system.
Show off
Appocomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 20:37   #34
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

indeed, I have always wondered why WP never made services automatically start on the second server....
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 22:06   #35
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Lol even TFD got 4 servers :P With a roundrobin ofc.

palm.irc.fryingdutch.net (Users: 46) (34%) [Fryinglink6.15.2]
|-lefruitdemonde.irc.fryingdutch.net (Users: 30) (22%) [Fryinglink6.15.2]
`-kriek.irc.fryingdutch.net (Users: 25) (18%) [Fryinglink6.15.2]
|-consumentenbond.fryingdutch.net (Users: 1) ( 0%) [PTlink.OPM1.1.1]
|-hertogjan.irc.fryingdutch.net (Users: 24) (18%) [Fryinglink6.15.2]
`-brouwerij.fryingdutch.net (Users: 6) ( 4%) [PTlink.Services2.21.3]

In pax we had 5 PA players per server
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Apr 2004, 22:22   #36
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix
indeed, I have always wondered why WP never made services automatically start on the second server....
From a technical aspect, this is quite tricky, especially when using off-the-shelf services like Apone (I assume WP still use that for nicks/channels and Silvers old AuthServ bot for members). In order to know when services disconnect, you have to have a services client on the network checking. If you want the backups to use the same nicks as the main services, they not only have to join after the main services quit, but quit before the main services are allowed to rejoin, otherwise you end up with nick collisions on both services, and lose all bots.
So when making Ely's network, I cheated by altering the IRCd to treat PMs to services bots specially.