User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Nov 2002, 16:02   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
AmigaOS

I just read an article (Dutch) about AmigaOS and it's new GUI that is under development. I was quite surprised that a company as amiga was still in business.

In the reactions on Dutch article people stated that the hardware approach from the amiga was unequalled, even by current OS-es. Something I can't really grasp.
Has any of you worked with AmigaOS? If so, what were your experiences?

I'd love to get my hands on such an old machine and then convert it into a MHZ monster like this guy did with his commodore.
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 16:07   #2
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't see the point since the Amiga is not too different looking to a PC. It wouldn't be quite as dramatic.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 18:26   #3
mogrika

i read about AmigaOS some time ago.

apparently, it's supposed to use some way to make it run on pretty much all hardware without porting it.

or something, i forget
Unread 23 Nov 2002, 20:18   #4
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhh, the Amiga 500+

Those were the days.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 03:18   #5
mikay

mikay is an unknown quantity at this point
Amiga was so so far ahead of PCs it's a tragedy it was never marketed the way it should have been.

The OS was a unix-inspired thing. It's a bit shady but I would say it would lie somewhere between windows 98 & 2000 in terms of completeness.

Graphics-wise you are talking about something that PCs only caught up with mid 90s, this from a machine first released in 1984.

After Commodore went bust the rights to the amiga hardware/OS passed through several ppls hands and different approaches incl new hardware based on the power PC. They never really came to anything and I think all that is really left now is a replacement windows manager.

<breeze|away> i agree about mang tho .. he is our mentor of perviness

R4: 48:25:13, 2E5 HC R5: n00b
R6: 3:10:1 Mangor, The Daddy
R7: 3:3:11 Retired
R8: c43 Finally free
PAX: 3:7:9 The Mentor of Perviness
mikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 03:45   #6
hinch
Banned

hinch is an unknown quantity at this point
the old amigas are nothing like the new amiga one`s and DE`s

the thing that set amigas appart from other machines at the time was its graphics array a set of custom chips that used planar gfx instead of chunky
this was great for side scrollers and racing games but for proper 3d it sucked ass it doom is pretty unplayable on all but the msot powerfull machines

the diehard amiga companies invented enhansements to the old hardware bolding on voodoo 2 based gfx cards etc even a matrox g200 card then someone invented a pci bridge and someone wrote generic drivers and theres amigas around running tnt2`s etc and sb live`s

all this pretty much totoally bypasses the oridgional hardware and for the cost buying a pc would make more sence
the most intetesting thing was teh ppc piggy back chips these are very clever things
limited on the a1200 version due to the small bandwidth of the belly connector however the a4k has teh cpu slot which is far more impressive for this and has a fair amount of bandwidth hense the new addidion of 4way g4 amiga processor cards for use in the now aging video toaster rendering systems ( the things used to make babylon 5 and alot of TNG special effects )

* pointless fact * the actor who plays garth in waynes world, his brother invented teh video toaster for newtek which is why garth wears a video toaster t-shirt in both waynes world films.

as for the OS the initial amiga workbench was based on a very very very hacked verion of berkly unix and was expanded with the arexx shell language for os expansion. all cleaver stuff but when you can get a full os capable of everything win2k/xp still struggle with in 4mb thats impressive.
other amiga interesting facts include the fact that ALL amigas can do true multitasking not pseudo multitasking like windows machines do. NASA launch control swapped to using amigas in the early 90s for their launch control systems when the ibm supplied pcs started failing for unknown reasons
although now replaced with mainly sun machines and sgi machines there is still 1 amiga in mission control used for processing all telemetry recieved from the shuttle on takeoff and landing.
the a2000 case has the paw print of jay miners dog inside it in the top back corner.

anyway i could go on for hours about amigas in total ive owned 12 differnet amigas ranging from an a500 to a4kt with ppc and added extras i even had a raptor at once point not thats a machine that puts even modern pc`s to shame.
i know amiga hardware pretty much inside and out on all revisions from rl1 to pluto

as for the os`s ive seen and used windows machines doing pretty much anything including an experiment where we attempted to get as many virtual os`s runing at once on a standard 4k. win3.1 win95(latest windows at time) ms dos apple linux netbsd and a nes emulator all running at once in different windows on the workbench

ok it was slow as **** but still fun fun fun if your a sad nerdy person
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 03:48   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
One of the blokes in my old 6th form was a diehard amiga person.
He had his running a 20Gb HD, a Voodoo 4 and an SB128.
I have no idea what version of the OS it was on, but the ammount of cash he spent on it he could have had 3 PC's - and about the best it could do was Quake (the original one).

Unread 24 Nov 2002, 03:51   #8
hinch
Banned

sounds about right my trusty old 4k plays q3 ok but then its so far removed from its origional form you cant really call it an amiga
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 03:55   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I long for the days of going to the PC (well, Amiga) room when it was raining at break and playing Pinball Fantasies. What a great game that was...

Unread 24 Nov 2002, 12:55   #10
mogrika

i still play the pc port of fantasies (and dreams) today
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 13:43   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

kupo??
Unread 24 Nov 2002, 14:34   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by hinchles
....video toaster rendering systems ( the things used to make babylon 5 and alot of TNG special effects )
I thought I recall reading some years ago that most of the TNG effects were rendered with Lightwave 3D?

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 25 Nov 2002, 03:55   #13
hinch
Banned

lightwave is merly software the vt is hardware

vt + lightwave = movie special effects

since lightwave can make all the graphics but has no way of compositing them lightwave can do the digital composition