User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 May 2003, 15:34   #1
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Rap music is dope!

Naughty, naughty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ic/2995607.stm

Also

"50 Cent, the biggest-selling star in the US so far this year, survived being shot nine times in 2000. "

Man, he's a hard b*st*rd. I wonder if he got shot 9 times in one go or on 9 separate ocassions? I don't know which one would make him harder to be honest.

When I grow up i want to be just like 50 Cent.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:39   #2
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
I HATE those ****ERS. They are destroying something that was BEATIFULL, a youth culture that SPANNED ACROSS THE WORLD. LOVE AND HAPPINESS, cultural exchanges, NON VIOLENCE **** the POWER type things.
Now, whats left? A few blood sucking vampiers that has sold their soul to the evils of capitalism.

**** RAP.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:40   #3
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Snurx
I HATE those ****ERS. They are destroying something that was BEATIFULL, a youth culture that SPANNED ACROSS THE WORLD. LOVE AND HAPPINESS, cultural exchanges, NON VIOLENCE **** the POWER type things.
Now, whats left? A few blood sucking vampiers that has sold their soul to the evils of capitalism.

**** RAP.
I don't like rap either.

But that's because it sounds stupid...
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:41   #4
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
almost all (modern) black music I can think of sucks... Rap, Hip Hop, R&B ... I hate them all. The only half decent rapper there is is a white guy.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:42   #5
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Rap is like 5hit in a bucket without the bucket

Vaio
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:43   #6
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
almost all (modern) black music I can think of sucks... Rap, Hip Hop, R&B ... I hate them all. The only half decent rapper there is is a white guy.
AND WHO IS THAT?

BESIDES, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK, YOU'VE NOT YET DISCOVERED THE JOYS OF OLD SKOOL AND A LITTLE NEW STUFF TOO!
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:45   #7
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Eminem... he is the only tolerable rapper that I know of.

and NO IT ALL SÚXXXXOR!!!!!!11111234567890ß

Unread 2 May 2003, 15:48   #8
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
Eminem... he is the only tolerable rapper that I know of.

and NO IT ALL SÚXXXXOR!!!!!!11111234567890ß

YOU actually LIKE EMINEM? You, sir, are a disgrace to all that is holy and sacred in this world! YOU DO KNOW THAT, DONT YOU?
(ps this is PROOF that YOU are the JUNKIE, not me! YOU HEAR THAT, MISTAR DRUGGIE?)

Oh, and you call yourself RADICAL? Eminem must be the most "CONTROVERSIAL" and "RADICAL" artist ever, MUSTNT HE?

:ROLLEYES:
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:50   #9
Radical Edward

I don't like him, I think he sucks. he is however far better than all the other rappers though who make me want to spoon out my ears.

Unread 2 May 2003, 15:51   #10
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Eminem is useless.

I like Shaggy. Sometimes.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:55   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Anyone saying anything in favour of this entire genre of bollocks needs shot.

With cannon.
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:56   #12
Snurx
Dirte

You all have not yet discovered the joys of good hiphop. The ****e on the radio is just that, ****e.

I KNOW GOOD GROUPS, YOU (OBVIOUSLY) DONT
PH33R M3!
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:57   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
You all have not yet discovered the joys of good hiphop. The ****e on the radio is just that, ****e.

I KNOW GOOD GROUPS, YOU (OBVIOUSLY) DONT
PH33R M3!
with cannon
Unread 2 May 2003, 15:57   #14
Radical Edward

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Anyone saying anything in favour of this entire genre of bollocks needs shot.

With Bullets not Cum.
it is only funny this way.

Unread 2 May 2003, 15:59   #15
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Excuse me, I couldn't give a monkeys what any of you think about rap music. This thread was supposed to be a discussion on the links between drugs and rap music. Either that or talking about how hard 50 Cent is (very).

I hate you (yes, all of you)
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:12   #16
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Quote:

People who hit submit without proof-reading their post need to be shot.

With cannon.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:20   #17
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Excuse me, I couldn't give a monkeys what any of you think about rap music. This thread was supposed to be a discussion on the links between drugs and rap music. Either that or talking about how hard 50 Cent is (very).

I hate you (yes, all of you)
I like rap, well certain hip hop actually. I wouldnt get put off by a bunch of shallow responses.

A lot of Hip Hop and Gangsta Rap is direct from the streets. This kind of thing does not surprise me.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:21   #18
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
omg lolzors

if they do drugs they must be cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:28   #19
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
People who hit submit without proof-reading their post need to be shot.

With cannon.
Whatnow?
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:28   #20
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
I like rap, well certain hip hop actually. I wouldnt get put off by a bunch of shallow responses.
heh, I wasn't put off. I just don't care what other people think of rap music.
Anyway, I might as well put my US$0.02 since everybody else did.
I think "mainstream" rap has gone downhill quite a lot in the last few years. Back in the day mainstream was Tupac, Warren G (before he started doing fked up stuff like crap Bob Marley covers) and Public Enemy, which was pretty decent. Today's mainstream just sounds way too much like pop music.

Though I'm sure you can find some decent rap and hip hop, stuff that doesn't appear on MTV Base. Maybe one day I'll actually look for it.
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:32   #21
Snurx
Dirte

If you ever want to look, give me a peep, maybe i can give you a few pointers.

Anyways, the linkage between drugs and music has been there since music became big bucks.
The link between new day rap and gangsters is quite hyped, i think, beacause it gives the rappers a better "image", and make more stupid white kids buy their music. This gives normal people, who dont think its cool to hear about a guy and who many people he kills when he's out buying juice, a very ugly view on hiphop, (when these gangsterrappers dont have **** to do whit hiphop at ALL. ) Gangster rap is almost always **** in my eyes, and just hyped.
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:41   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
frankly its not as if Tupac was ever any better / different

Unread 2 May 2003, 16:47   #23
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
frankly its not as if Tupac was ever any better / different
I agree totaly.
Unread 2 May 2003, 16:55   #24
menth0l
dim like a fox

Eminem is without doubt one of the most skilled freestyle rappers today.

Shame about the crap he puts out though.

PS. Jurassic 5 4eva :}
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 2 May 2003, 20:23   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
BESIDES, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU THINK, YOU'VE NOT YET DISCOVERED THE JOYS OF OLD SKOOL AND A LITTLE NEW STUFF TOO!
What a totalitarian mindset. "If you don't like something it's due to ignorance". Perhaps people don't like rap.

Anyway you're the stereotypical little white teenager you rail against aren't you?

p.s. rap is rubbish and anyone who thinks differently hasn't read enough books and probably secretly wants to be black.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 20:30   #26
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
What a totalitarian mindset. "If you don't like something it's due to ignorance".
I thought being closed-minded was totalitarian. :-/
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 20:38   #27
Dave
Infallible

Dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Its a matter of opinion.

Personaly I think the music most of you people like is utter ****.
Unread 2 May 2003, 20:55   #28
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:

**** RAP.
Hold on, when was rap music primarily non-violent?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 21:15   #29
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
What a totalitarian mindset. "If you don't like something it's due to ignorance". Perhaps people don't like rap.

Anyway you're the stereotypical little white teenager you rail against aren't you?

p.s. rap is rubbish and anyone who thinks differently hasn't read enough books and probably secretly wants to be black.
But then, im evil and facist. Read the news they say so.

Nodrog: Quite a lot old skool type rap was non-violent. The ones that were violent, were mostly against the state, not persons.
Unread 2 May 2003, 22:12   #30
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
Hold on, when was rap music primarily non-violent?
sugar hill gang

Unread 2 May 2003, 22:57   #31
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
sugar hill gang

---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 2 May 2003, 23:02   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
I thought being closed-minded was totalitarian. :-/
Being closed minded is an expression of freedom.

Anyway, sometimes it's possible to have a mind so open your brain falls out [/Dawkins]

Also...what?
Quote:
But then, im evil and facist. Read the news they say so.
What are you talking about news? I'm merely commenting on what you said. Stop trying to be rebellious.
Unread 2 May 2003, 23:03   #33
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
snow

remember him.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2003, 23:35   #34
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I LOVE SNOW

SNOW LOOKED AT ME AT i15!

I don't specifiucall remember taking to him though
Unread 3 May 2003, 13:45   #35
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:

Also...what?What are you talking about news? I'm merely commenting on what you said. Stop trying to be rebellious.
Im not rebbelious, i have nothing to rebel against.
Unread 3 May 2003, 13:50   #36
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Im not rebbelious, i have nothing to rebel against.
What about the man?
Unread 3 May 2003, 13:50   #37
Snurx
Dirte

Quote:
What about the man?
There IS no man.
Unread 3 May 2003, 13:59   #38
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

Quote:
I LOVE SNOW

SNOW LOOKED AT ME AT i15!

I don't specifiucall remember taking to him though
Are you talking about the guy who released that single "Informer" where he spoke so fast you don't know what he's going on about?

My mate has his album "12 inches of Snow"
He is my hero!!!!!
Unread 3 May 2003, 14:22   #39
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I obviously thought of the wrong snow.

Pfft
Unread 3 May 2003, 23:49   #40
eple
Voodoo chile

eple is an unknown quantity at this point
From the start, rap music served as an arena for non-violent combat between poor black people in the US. Instead of fighting for respect using violence skilled people at the bottom of society could battle and gain respect trough music.

Promoting the idea of rap music creating violence will only prove a persons lack of knowledge of the genre as whole. Judging a genre of music over 30 years old on the basis of newer commercialized groups is stupid. Rap music is as diversed as any other type of music. There are great performers and groups in any genre, and also terrible ones, the fact that this obious point even have to be mentioned is a shame.

People make art based on their own experiences, people who have lived a rough life, like 50 cents (who has been shot 9 times, as mentioned before), are fully justified to rap about it. It's not any more speculative than Beatles singing about LSD or Tom Waits about getting drunk.

Another thing: If you hate rap, thats fine, but try to remember that most people will be quite uninterested in hearing you shout RAP MUSIC SUCKS OMG!!!!1||11223 unless you put forth some good reasons for hating it.
"Nästa melodi som bob hund skall spela nu skrevs långt... långt, långt innan polisen började KASTA... avundsjuka blickar på ungdomarna som speglade sig i skyltfönstren som låg på marken!... Tolka det hur fan ni vill!... Vissa revolutioner sker i badrummet, andra på andra stanser; det är bara upp till er! Det är inte alltid det räcker med att slå hårdare ifrån sig än man behöver! Ibland räcker det med att säga SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT! SKÖT DU MITT, SÅ SKÖTER JAG DITT!!!"
eple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 23:55   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by eple
If you hate rap, thats fine, but try to remember that most people will be quite uninterested in hearing you shout RAP MUSIC SUCKS OMG!!!!1||11223 unless you put forth some good reasons for hating it.
I don't really "hate" rap. I just don't think it's very good. Most of it doesn't hit the spot musically or lyrically. It has enormous potentiality to give an eloquent message from a previously marginalised group but this is generally frittered away. Sure, most of my exposure to rap is probably the mainstream version, but it just doesn't sound very good to my lilly white ears.

I have various political problems with most rappers, but more importantly it isn't very good (subjectively of course).

Having said that, one of my favourite movies a couple of years ago was "Slam" about a black poet (that's probably the best word) who freestyled and wrote various pieces about his life, etc. The film is basically about a short period of his life, and is definitely worth watching. That's my only positive exposure to rap-style culture.

[edit]In a racist vein of thought : Rap is for black people. Can't the brothers have something without you going to steal it?[/edit]
Unread 4 May 2003, 12:40   #42
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by eple
Another thing: If you hate rap, thats fine, but try to remember that most people will be quite uninterested in hearing you shout RAP MUSIC SUCKS OMG!!!!1||11223 unless you put forth some good reasons for hating it.
The music behind the actual rapping, if indeed there is any, is seldom brimming with technical expertise, rhythmic imagination, even an attempt to create a 'new' sound. I recognise the importance of lyrics and delivery over the 'sound' for this particular part of the industry, but still a fair point.

The messages being conveyed by the lyrics, at least in the past 10-15 years or so have all been very similar, there's been little expansion, though I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it.

There 'feels' like there has been a slower evolution of rap to almost every other genre. For example, the general rock and punk styles can now be felt in different kinds of music today, and rock especially has evolved (some might say not for the better) as times have changed.

2 cents deposited.
Unread 4 May 2003, 15:16   #43
Snurx
Dirte

Rap has changed imensely these last 10 years. From the "old skool" to the new, more popular gangster rap.
My biggest problem whit TODAYS gangster rap is that they rap about how hard THEY are, instead of the old version, where they rapped about life on the streets. Listening to people rap about their life, no matter what, can be interesting, but listening to people rap about how much dope they sell and how many bitches they **** is not "fun" for me.

To say that the music behind rap also not evolves, is (in my eyes) not correct. There are a lot of different styles behind the rapping, musically. Some are very regga inspired, some are kinda rocky, while others are more like the old breakbeats, just whit a little spice. Some are a mix of all, or of other musical genres.
But, true, most of the very popular beats are dull, at least in my eyes. Just like Britney Spears is dull. But much of it is very good, tecnically speaking. Dr Dre is a awesome producer, its just a shame that he did not just stick to that.

Dante: Why is rap for black people? The orignal hiphop culture, and what remains of that, is multi-racial. The gangster rap is almost only blacks, true, but in "real" hiphop there is a blend of all races, from hispanic to blacks to whites. Colour is not imporant, the skill is. (Hiphop is not only rap, its also graffiti, breaking and dj'ing. (The four elements))
I also have political problems whit many rappers, but there is a wealth of "underground rebels". Its like punk, the real politcal punkers did not get the fame the now mostly unpolitical "skate punkers" get. That's a fact of life.