User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:21   #1
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
cd shopping

i think i'm going to have to say i'm 'against' the music industry.

i was shopping at some music store for CDs and they were all in the $17-20 price range.

now of course we all know at this point that it costs less than 10 cents to make one, but the music industry is in a similar situation to the pharmaceutical industry; it takes millions of dollars to promote hundreds of bands and produce singles and albums and to advertise etc. and for all that, only a few of them are going to sell well and they have to more than make up for all their losers on those.

fine. i can completely see how the the new justin timberlake album costs $20-about a $6 markup from the music store, about 5$ in promototion, maybe $2 to write/produce the music, $1 for justin, $2 for the industry, and a couple dollars to make up for losses elsewhere. that's entirely fair, and i can see why they hate people just downloading the music instead. people that would download that kind of album off the internet should rightly be called criminals. and poofs.

however, i am unlikely to buy the new justin timberlake album. i am far more likely to buy an album that has been out for 35 years and the artist died 30 years ago. it is completely unpromoted, the artist is (obviously) getting nothing, etc. it probably got 'digitally remastered' in the mid 90's, how much did that cost?

anyway, these cd's still cost $15-20, and that makes no sense to me. simply unacceptable.

even if you want to claim that the music from the early 70's is still copyrighted (which it obviously shouldn't be) and that that is what is costing so much, go look at a beethoven CD. $15. wtf.

the end.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:27   #2
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
I think i'll download St.Anger now and never listen to it once.

**** you Lars Ulrich.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:54   #3
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
If anything the Justin Timberlake album should be cheap, not the album by some obscure '70s band. The record label will make mega profit out of Timberlake and the obscure '70s stuff they sell is probably just to increase their turnover. It's unlikely they make much profit out of it.

The big sellers are sold at full price to subsidise the bad sellers. That's how it works in the music industry, and in many other industries too.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 16:57   #4
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
I think i'll download St.Anger now and never listen to it once.

**** you Lars Ulrich.
I know someone that did just that..But the same person, burnt it out on cd and gave it to all his friends that wanted it!

That was a bad bad communist! :ninja:
"Freedom, morality, and the human dignity of the individual consists precisely in this; that he makes waffles not because he is forced to do so, but because he freely conceives it, wants it, and loves it."
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 19:07   #5
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't like the music industry you should probably check out 'kill your mother and rape your dog'.

Matrim
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 19:21   #6
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Everybody should download Metallicas new albums title song.

Try not to **** your pants when he starts singing.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 19:27   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by mpr0733
Everybody should download Metallicas new albums title song.

Try not to **** your pants when he starts singing.
Does he sing in the same note as the "Brown Noise"?
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2003, 20:11   #8
mpr0733

mpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of lightmpr0733 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Does he sing in the same note as the "Brown Noise"?
The outcome would have indeed been better if he had stuck the microphone up his ass.
mpr0733 is offline   Reply With Quote