User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:07   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Das Experiment

Just saw that movie, and it's just sick what happens there.
A group of random guys get locked up in somesort of facility for this experiment, a few of them play the role of guard, the others are prisoners. In a few days this thing escalates and people start getting killed.

I read on IMDB that this movie was based on the Stanford Prison Experiment from 1971, which was aborted after six days also due to escalation.

If you know a bit of German (German movie and all) I really recommend this one. Not for the special effects or gore, but just to see what people can turn into if given some absolute power.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:08   #2
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
i think i will take your advice in the nearer future

Charlie Mingus, such nimble fingers
Droppin the bass, all over the place
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:09   #3
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Das Experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Just saw that movie, and it's just sick what happens there.
A group of random guys get locked up in somesort of facility for this experiment, a few of them play the role of guard, the others are prisoners. In a few days this thing escalates and people start getting killed.

I read on IMDB that this movie was based on the Stanford Prison Experiment from 1971, which was aborted after six days also due to escalation.

If you know a bit of German (German movie and all) I really recommend this one. Not for the special effects or gore, but just to see what people can turn into if given some absolute power.

They tried it again for a US "Reality TV" show last year, and again had to abandon it. Basically , the same pattern re-occurs every time.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:10   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
yes, that was a pretty interesting movie.
its quite scary that people forget about ethics, principels, whatever that easily.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:12   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Re: Das Experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
They tried it again for a US "Reality TV" show last year, and again had to abandon it. Basically , the same pattern re-occurs every time.
Didn't they do it for English TV as well? Or perhaps I'm thinking of the US one.

Either way, I seem to remember them saying that because of the scrutiny (i.e. it was filmed) the "guards" felt like they couldn't use their power properly. If it was a real experiment (with less scrutiny) then you'd see far more abuses of power.

The Stanford Prison Experiment is pretty interesting from an examination of relationship of domination & control. My favourite social experiment though was the Milgram experiment into Authority and obedience. Link :
http://sciwebserver.science.mcmaster...ial/lec4-1.htm

On topic, I might watch the movie if I get the chance.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:13   #6
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Lupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant futureLupin has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by wu_trax
yes, that was a pretty interesting movie.
its quite scary that people forget about ethics, principels, whatever that easily.
thats why we are animals btw?

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:14   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Lupin
thats why we are animals btw?
What? Do you mean that's because we are animals?
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:18   #8
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dante Hicks
What? Do you mean that's because we are animals?
well not really.

i am not sure if we are animals or not, so wu_trax's anylisis bout the movie brought me to the question "if thats maybe a fact, why we are animals"

hope you get my point..

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:19   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
hope you get my point..
I don't, but I think that's a language thing. I don't think it's under serious debate whether we are animals or not. The only thing that might be argued is that being animals restricts/predetermines our behaviour to greater or lesser extent towards barbarism of some kind.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:20   #10
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

?!

excuse me..?

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:22   #11
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

are we animals because we people forget about ethics, principels, whatever that easily if we gave em power?

now you could get it ^^

Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:32   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
are we animals because
We're animals simply because we are animals. I think you are misusing the word "animal" in it's vernacular sense.
Unread 7 Jul 2003, 21:37   #13
Lupin
I play the double-bass.

i cant accept your argument.

i also inclince that we are animals, but why exactly? i mean we are much more reasonnable than animals (we dont kill each other, just to survive) for example.

i think there are quite a few other differences between the life of an animal and a human-being, but i atm i cant tell you one.

Unread 8 Jul 2003, 03:11   #14
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Authority = bad

:ninja:
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 03:20   #15
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
i also inclince that we are animals, but why exactly? i mean we are much more reasonnable than animals (we dont kill each other, just to survive) for example.
How are we more reasonable? We kill for sport.

Quote:
i think there are quite a few other differences between the life of an animal and a human-being, but i atm i cant tell you one.
Because, there isn't any; animals live, eat, sleep and have social structures, sound familiar?
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 05:38   #16
bink

Re: Re: Das Experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
Oddly, every time I get arrested, the Policemen are nice and polite. They don't get picked at random like in the experiment, and they get quite a bit of training, unlike in the experiment. They learn to reduce tension and prevent escalation, even if they really think you're an asshole, and they might prefer to kick you in the face. Plus if they did that without sufficient reason, they would likely get fired.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 09:25   #17
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
How are we more reasonable? We kill for sport.

Because, there isn't any; animals live, eat, sleep and have social structures, sound familiar?
We have libraries, laws, and most importantly, much much greater diversity in our social structure than any animal.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 09:57   #18
das_experiment

das_experiment is an unknown quantity at this point

still trying to watch it, just need english subs
das_experiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 10:02   #19
das_experiment

and where did you find it with subtitles???

i cant
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 10:03   #20
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by das_experiment
and where did you find it with subtitles???

i cant
I didn't... I know a bit of German.
The dialogue isn't all that difficult tho.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 10:05   #21
das_experiment

I dont really nkow any german :P

IS THERE NOONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS HOW TO GET IT WITH SUBTITLES? :I
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 11:35   #22
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
great movie that.

interesting experiment too.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 11:56   #23
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by W
We have libraries, laws, and most importantly, much much greater diversity in our social structure than any animal.
we also have analogy.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 11:59   #24
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Radical Edward
we also have analogy.
I have two alogies
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 12:00   #25
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of
Mite try and get the film cool.

ON the same note have any of you read Lord of the Flies

Same thing happens once there is absolute power over ppl
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 12:01   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Lord of the Flies is a bad, bad book.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 12:07   #27
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
I have two alogies
I have many, but some guy down the pub told me that the Sun Said everyone has at least one. I believed him.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 13:22   #28
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
sorry milgram wasnt really that exciting, the best ones. the ones that proved stuff were tajfel etc. and split brain experimentation is ****ing interesting

all of you, go read up on split brain treatment

they cut the nerve bundle that joins the two lobes of your brain...so in theory you operate as two individuals in one body...its very confusing, but read it. those who are literate that is. not those tards who are like "lol, i read kuras comics lol rofl lol lol"
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 13:29   #29
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
tbh i saw a programme about the 70s experiment shortly before the latest british attempt was made, and i agree with bink if you stick a bunch of 'tards inside together and tell half they're the guards and the other half they're the prisoners its hardly going to turn out well is it?

Im still not sure exactly what the experiment prooved or disprooved.
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 13:56   #30
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Lord of the Flies is a bad, bad book.
is that bad as in 80's slang 'bad = good' or just bad as in not good?
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 14:26   #31
bink

Quote:
Originally posted by Nusselt

Im still not sure exactly what the experiment prooved or disprooved.
It proves that random people, when put in a victim- or a control position, start to behave in a certain way, and so it proves that a careful selection of applicants and good training are very important
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 15:52   #32
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by das_experiment
I dont really nkow any german :P

IS THERE NOONE OUT THERE THAT KNOWS HOW TO GET IT WITH SUBTITLES? :I
i think the uk-version has subtitles, doesnt it?
at least thats what amazon.co.uk says.