User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 May 2003, 00:24   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Barebone System

Specification Includes:
AMD AthlonXP 2800+ (2.083GHz, 512KB Cache 333MHz fsb) Processor
512MB PC2700 DDR333 Branded Memory (1 x 512MB)
AMD Approved Heavy Duty Heatsink & Cooling Fan
ASRock K7S8X ATX 200/266/333/400 fsb Motherboard w/LAN/Audio
On-Board AC97 5.1 Channel Stereo Sound

On-Board 10/100 RJ45 Network LAN
1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
ATX Nokia 8870-S Midi Tower Case with 350W Power Supply

£339.00

Now all the necessary stuff i require i can pick up or salvage from my current machine (monitor , decent mouse/keyboard) , a graphics card , i can get a decent one for about £60 , and a hard drive i can get from DABS.

So gents , would this be a decent buy?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:26   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Don't like to rock your boat, but graphics?

[edit]
That probably wasn't very clear.
What I meant was: are you sure about taking graphics from your old machine?
Unread 24 May 2003, 00:31   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I'm going to expand on what I said earlier a little.

In a pc of those specifications, anything less than a Radeon 9700 pro or 9800 pro is seriously underpowered compared to what the processor can do.
Modern gaming is not really about processor spead - it's about how fast your graphics card is.

Now as you're obviously building to a budget, there's no way you can afford a 9700, so what I'd suggest is knock the processor back to an XP2400+ and buy a GeForce4 Ti4600 or Ti4800 (NOT 4800se ffs).

Unread 24 May 2003, 14:26   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Just posting to say I've got a 9700 pro.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 14:55   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Just posting to say I hate you.

Unread 24 May 2003, 14:57   #6
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
I don't even know what my graphics card is.

But it can't be any good because Command and Conquer: Generals runs really slowly.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:03   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Just posting to say I hate you.

Just posting to say my other computer has a GeForce 4 in it. Ti4600 btw.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:04   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus
I don't even know what my graphics card is.

But it can't be any good because Command and Conquer: Generals runs really slowly.
Generals eh?

Good man.

ps.

Control Panel/(Performance and Maintanance if in XP or similar)/System/'Hardware' tab/Device Manager/Display Adapters.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:05   #9
Proteus
Lord Denning

Proteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriendProteus needs a job and a girlfriend
Apparently it's an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420.

Whatever that may be.
He was crowned in York Cathedral as 'Expert in the West' by Pope Urban III in 1186.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:06   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Something rubbishish.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:07   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Apparently it's an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420.

Whatever that may be.
Arse.
Basically.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:07   #12
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Something rubbishish.
Well that's what I assumed.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:10   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Well that's what I assumed.
Buy a new computer.

College fees are optional.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:11   #14
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Buy a new computer.

College fees are optional.
I have a 2.54 GHz processor and 512MB RAM. I think I just need a new graphics card.

Plus this one's nice and black.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:14   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Mine are RED and YELLOW respectively.

The graphics cards anyway.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:16   #16
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
i have a geforce 3 Ti500 apparently
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:43   #17
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Editors Note : Please go compare c0ck sizes elsewhere. I was looking for some reasonably helpful advice on whether £339 is a decent price to pay for that Barebone system
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:43   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Proteus: Why do you think places like PC World can do these "amazing" deals where you get 2.5Ghz machine for £600 or whatever?
A machine like that should be carrying a DX9 card worth £300 odd quid, but instead they put in a peice of crap hardly worth the PCB it's printed on instead, like your GeForce4 MX (which is actually slower than Nusselts GeForce3) - or worse, they use onboard graphics which are normally even ****ter.

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Unread 24 May 2003, 15:46   #19
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurashima
Editors Note : Please go compare c0ck sizes elsewhere. I was looking for some reasonably helpful advice on whether £339 is a decent price to pay for that Barebone system
You had it. From me anyway.
In case you missed it: Everything you mentioned is fine but I'd go for a slower processor and splash out on the graphics.
Hence the ensuing discussion of graphics.

Unread 24 May 2003, 15:46   #20
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Quote:

"yes"
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:50   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
You had it. From me anyway.
In case you missed it: Everything you mentioned is fine but I'd go for a slower processor and splash out on the graphics.
Hence the ensuing discussion of graphics.

£339 is the listed price for it. I dont think i can specifically ask them to lower the processor speed. And getting a decent Graphics card isnt an issue. I can survive with a crap one until i get paid next month, then blow a large amount of my wages on one of them thar cards that Jakiri has.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:53   #22
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

I see - didn't realise it was an actual retail system, thought it was either one you were putting together or a quote for one someone was doing for you.

If you're fine with bascily buying two graphics cards (although as one isn't mentioned in the spec I assume it's going to be onboard?) then that looks well priced enough.

Unread 24 May 2003, 15:53   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Get the 9800 pro for £350 or so.

It's faster than GOD.

Assuming god's a kind of graphics card.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:54   #24
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
£339 is the listed price for it. I dont think i can specifically ask them to lower the processor speed. And getting a decent Graphics card isnt an issue. I can survive with a crap one until i get paid next month, then blow a large amount of my wages on one of them thar cards that Jakiri has.
in which case, go for it, then pick up a 9800 pro next month for it
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:55   #25
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Assuming god's a kind of graphics card.
The Catholic church believe so.
Unread 24 May 2003, 15:55   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
in which case, go for it, then pick up a 9800 pro next month for it
Comically costing more than the rest of the pc.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:18   #27
menth0l
dim like a fox

Quote:
Comically costing more than the rest of the pc.

or god.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:19   #28
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
or god.
Only Flora ProActiv costs more than God.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:22   #29
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by pablissimo
Only Flora ProActiv costs more than God.
It depends if you have a nectar card or not.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:23   #30
menth0l
dim like a fox

also depends on what brand/version of God you're purchasing.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:24   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

You can get really cheap gods if they're almost at their sell by date.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:25   #32
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Quote:
It depends if you have a nectar card or not.
I do now.

But as I don't shop as Sainsbury's I can't really use it for anything other than booze.

Sainsbury's in general is also as, if not more, expensive than God on an item by deity basis.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:27   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Out of M&S and Sainsbury's, I'll go to the Science Minister's one.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:31   #34
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
Out of M&S and Sainsbury's, I'll go to the Science Minister's one.
But M&S has more and better curries.

But it's further away from me so I go to Sainsbury's.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:35   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I'm not much of a curry man.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:53   #36
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Only on GD can a conversation go from the purchase of a computer to discussing curry and still be considered normal.

Unread 24 May 2003, 16:55   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Only on GD can a conversation go from the purchase of a computer to discussing curry and still be considered normal.

You forgot the discussion on religion and shopping.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:57   #38
menth0l
dim like a fox

Computers are a religion.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 24 May 2003, 16:57   #39
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
I'm not much of a curry man.
They have Chinese as well but you need to cook that in the oven.
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:00   #40
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
They have Chinese as well but you need to cook that in the oven.
The good old fashioned microwave/hobs/sink arrangement?
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:01   #41
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I am using a Voodoo 2 Banshee because my GeForce is noisy and annoys me, and I dont play 3D games anyway. Also, I have to run my computer with my motherboard at a 45 degree angle rather than flat.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:02   #42
Proteus
Lord Denning

Quote:
The good old fashioned microwave/hobs/sink arrangement?
I have an oven, but it takes longer and you have to remember to turn it off at the right time.
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:03   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I am using a Voodoo 2 Banshee because my GeForce is noisy and annoys me, and I dont play 3D games anyway. Also, I have to run my computer with my motherboard at a 45 degree angle rather than flat.
As far as I could tell, you didn't HAVE TO, it's just your case is falling apart.

ps.

'voodoo banshee', not voodoo 2