User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Apr 2003, 08:02   #1
Nutty

Thumbs down Private Gals, just my 2 cents

I have been an on/off player of PA for since round 1 under various names. However there is something that in my opinion has been hugely damaging to the game but recieves little debate.

THe use of the Private galaxy to create alliance strongholds, bassically the creation of 10 planets that know exactly what to do, when to do it and could play PA in their sleep.

THey have no problem with inactive players, moody adolescents or people from other alliances. In short they can instantly within days have set up powerfull galaxies which start this 'divide' that everyone complains about.

In my opinion if we scrapped private gals, it would hurt this divide greatly, it would also mean more players would join PA as it was more fun and even.

The only lossers would be the serious players, those with little else to do, but even they complain about a lack of targets and the points divide.

Just my 2 cents.

-Dave
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 08:25   #2
Lanceman
milchjiper

Lanceman is an unknown quantity at this point
This was already suggested a couple of times but it doesn't reduce the validity of your statement.
Hopefully this will be implemented in round 10.
If private gals were to stay then alliances should be coded into the game, reducing the power of every alliance.
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:18   #3
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
I, and many other players, are still here BECAUSE of private galaxies. It would be my biggest nightmare to end up in a random galaxy like mine in R8 (10 players, 3 actives, rank 550 (gal) ==> selfexile ==> new gal, 3 actives, galrank 500).
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:31   #4
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
if everyone literally gave 2 cents when they gave theyre 2 cents on this subject, there would be enough money to run PA for a year free
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:40   #5
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
The only reason i've kept playing is private galaxies :/
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:47   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
The only reason i've kept playing is private galaxies :/
And yet it took a random round 8 to get someone decent into your galaxy
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:51   #7
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Private galaxies drive more people away than keep them here.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 13:53   #8
thomas4
CHICKEN DIPPHAAAAZ

thomas4 is an unknown quantity at this point
being an on/off player, i ask you, have you been ever been in a private galaxy?

I have played since r4, started in a priv gal there and thats what made me keep playing! R8 was fairly owk, but i was still maintaining all my ex-gal bonds and attacked with them, NOT with my galaxy coz it was sometimes impossible. As Martok said, priv gals are for alot of ppl the reason to keep playing, and i feel the same.
R4: [30:21:11] n00b
R5: [31:24:10] TFD
R6: [04:02:06] Xylem
R7: [27:20:11] Lithyn
R8: [29:02:05] Lithyn \ Elysium
R9: [05:05:09] WolfPack \ Sapientia (while it lasted...)
R9.5: [XX:XX:XX] Enjoying random inactivity...

Ex-Lithyn [\] †
thomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 14:06   #9
MadeMan
180º

MadeMan is an unknown quantity at this point
well i loved randoms and i love privs(when there is war goign on)
MadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 14:23   #10
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
ofc private gals r damaging, but powerblocks are much more damaging.

to many people i know ended up in **** gals r8, and that kinda ruined their 3(1,5) months of p.a
Unread 3 Apr 2003, 17:13   #11
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
And yet it took a random round 8 to get someone decent into your galaxy

Indeed
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2003, 23:40   #12
Fungi
Reincarnated PA Player

Fungi is an unknown quantity at this point
Isn't this the umpteenth thread complaining about priv gals?

Unread 8 Apr 2003, 06:47   #13
SPGer

Well

It gets kind of discouraging when you are in a random gal and all you get to see is incoming!!

4th night in a row I have seen incoming and not once has this incoming been from outside the Cluster or outside the Parallel.. I am in a gal which is in both C and P alliances which we all know is just a farce when one side of the wars ends up on top!!

Basically your average PA player for an alliance has become a lazy, talentless git with no sense of right or wrong.. basically the acts of most major alliances towards random gals could be considered as evil!

I hear the whining that there are no real targets left.. well if these people would look OUTSIDE their P and C then maybe they would find some!! This game needs a large shake up and what Spinner proposes to do with the new gal time travel is not the answer as it will not solve the basic problem, that problem being peoples insatiable desire to win at all costs!!

I have played this game since r4 and I have only seen the game go downhill from there!! I still do not know why something as useless as the Jumpgate is still in the game!! out of all the rounds I actually thought last round was quite enjoyable due to the fact that an individual planet actually had some tools to fight back with.. but the people with alliances and running alliances(the very people destroying this game) seem to have gotten their way and had these aspects removed.

Funny how PA was always about the community but I never knew till the last few months exactly what community they mean't.. All the class players that were around when I first started have pretty much left, leaving fragments behind.. If PA can work out how to stop burning out its good players due to the actions of the alliances playing the game, then maybe it has a chance, but I doubt this will ever happen..
Unread 8 Apr 2003, 09:43   #14
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
With priv gals newcomers wouldn't stand a chance, so it would be a waste of whatever PA crew is going to do to get new players. Why are mainly the most fanatical players left? Because they complain the most and get things their way.
Priv gals will not appeal to new players, and that's what PA needs. Buddies might be possible perhaps and/or priv gals with enough incentives so everyone who thinks he can make an average random gal work, will pick random.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote