User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Sep 2009, 13:24   #1
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute
Xan fortress gals

I am curious about your thoughts on these galaxies. Are they going to become unroidable? Is there any way to roid such a gal without masses of incomings? Your average gal raids are most probably ineffective.

Last edited by Gio2k; 10 Sep 2009 at 13:47. Reason: typo
Gio2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 14:16   #2
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of
Re: Xan fortress gals

as 9:7 with 9 xans and 10:2 with 8 are both under attack atm I guess U will kno by the end of the day.
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 14:49   #3
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B5]Londo View Post
as 9:7 with 9 xans and 10:2 with 8 are both under attack atm I guess U will kno by the end of the day.
Who's hitting them?
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 15:43   #4
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

The simple fact that you asked these questions, forced god to kill a kitten. Several infact.

Yes+No+Yes= universe is f00ked.

A cookie if u guess first go!
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?

Last edited by [JungleMuffin]; 10 Sep 2009 at 15:51.
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 16:53   #5
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

I might have to revisit what i said about Ascendancy's chances to win the round. I think these xan gals give them a nice strategic advantage, but ofc surely someone (beside Asc) might have seen this coming? I don't think the gals are unroidable, but they require some careful teaming up, and patience to be brought down. I think the end spurt will be quite interesting
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 17:00   #6
[JungleMuffin]

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio2k View Post
I might have to revisit what i said about Ascendancy's chances to win the round. I think these xan gals give them a nice strategic advantage, but ofc surely someone (beside Asc) might have seen this coming? I don't think the gals are unroidable, but they require some careful teaming up, and patience to be brought down. I think the end spurt will be quite interesting
Xan is always the best race, even with the worst stats. When they have arguably the best stats, then its a whitewash. Throw them into a fortress gal and you tripple your galaxies value.

As for the end spurt....... these gals arent going to get easier to hit......
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 17:41   #7
Zotnam
Over the moon
Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Ollie Skates Champion, Sperm Wars Champion

Zotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant futureZotnam has a brilliant future

Out of the top 5 gals, only one has below 5 xans (it has 4). And no, not all of the top5 is asc. Roiding other xans with only xans in your ally won't be easy, that's the major drawback.

Planets.
Zik: 3rd(r30), 4th(r52), 7th(r27), 9th(r26), 31st(r51)
Ter: 3rd(r50), 4th(r53), 4th(r37), 5th(r31) 7th (r58)
Xan: 3rd(r36), 40th(r57) 54th(r33), 104th(r29)
Cat: 8th (r54), 9th(r48), 12th (r55), 20th(r32), 77th(r23), 103rd(r38), 150th(r34), 152nd(r24),
Etd: 14th(r28)

Those damn emp races..
Zotnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 18:50   #8
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JungleMuffin] View Post
Xan is always the best race, even with the worst stats. When they have arguably the best stats, then its a whitewash. Throw them into a fortress gal and you tripple your galaxies value.

As for the end spurt....... these gals arent going to get easier to hit......
Xan is not always the best race, last round they were crap.
The only way this strategy might work is if you get your whole ally to perform it, something which takes planning and dedication. A xan with FR + CR on its own is a pretty easy target for co, it just so happens that alot of people went primarily CR\BS this round making xan fr+cr even more effective.
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 20:49   #9
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

I agree with isildur. It's a combo of factors that made xans the best race this round. The fact that the most effective fleet against xan is co. And there is only one race with a co roiding fleet. Xan fi are impossible and etd fi are too inefficient against ghosts. All those facts make a xan CR + ghosts fleet more viable than any other round.
Also, historically, xans have been weak against terran BS for this reason, to balance their initiative, cloak and damage.
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 23:34   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In fairness to JM I think he meant the unique advantages that having cloaked ships offers xan.
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 23:48   #11
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, nicely phrased then....
Unread 10 Sep 2009, 23:57   #12
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well if he didn't mean that then his statement was a contradiction in terms so...
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 03:08   #13
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Xans are not the best race individually, it's really the chosen tactic of massing them in a gal and in ally which make the difference...
There are ways to take down a heavy xan gal:
- faking some waves to draw the def
- attacking late after they've sent their attacks
- minimizing the size of team ups
- multiplying the number of waves
But in the end, the choice of landing vs 2 * 0 ship xan defs is tough, you may have to take the risk to land a few waves just to clarify the picture...

Last edited by Makhil; 11 Sep 2009 at 03:14.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 05:28   #14
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
Xan is not always the best race, last round they were crap.
Xan where only crap last round vs Cat, (wait for it.....) even then they where still better. This was magnified by the race ratios and players playing it. Once you got past the early round Cat dominance, and gained value advantage over most of the uni, playing Xan became easy as shit. Its the same every round.

Without going into all the not so subtleties of Xan play, cos i really cant be f*cked, many people compare races on a 1:1 value ratio, and see who roids who the easiest. People dont take into account that you can roid someone with 1k pods, nullify almost all retals +alliance/ingal def, scare defenders into recall, etc. Imo, this more than makes up for reduced effectiveness Xan has on paper.

Defensively its the same thing with all the def/fakedef/ fear factor.

I still stand by my original comment. Any shortcoming Xan has on the stat sheet, is more than overcome by game dynamics.
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 06:13   #15
isildurx

I disagree. Offensively they might do just fine. Defensively, on the other hand, is a whole different ballgame. Xan could not for the life of themselves hang on to roids last round.
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 06:40   #16
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Xans are not the only ones able to fake, though the'yre the best at it, they can be taken at their own game.
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 10:18   #17
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
I disagree. Offensively they might do just fine. Defensively, on the other hand, is a whole different ballgame. Xan could not for the life of themselves hang on to roids last round.
As someone who played Xan last round, in a semi xan (with not the most active/best players) galaxy, i can tell you, stopping cat wasnt as difficult as you think. If you have a player who logs in when shit hits the fan, and has half a clue how to build a fleet, youre fine.

Believe me or not, but i played xan, in a (bad) xan gal, so take from it what you will. On certain occasions, we where able to face an antire ally gal raid for 0 loss. I really dont think Cat would come out clear from a gal raid as often........
Unread 11 Sep 2009, 10:19   #18
[JungleMuffin]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
Xans are not the only ones able to fake, though the'yre the best at it, they can be taken at their own game.
Yeah, sure, but people who get faked by non xan, are retards.

Its not that difficult to keep a few k ships home just in case.........
Unread 14 Sep 2009, 02:47   #19
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

[03:47] <@Theam> .stop 89k aveng
[03:47] -Munin- Stopping 89000 Avenger (142k) as t1 requires Harpy: 106800 (170k) Phantom: 106800 (160k) Ghost: 44500 (133k) Thief: 22250 (117k) Avenger: 52353 (83k)

and with the pods insane armour this round, i am not going to keep around 133k value to stop a fake