User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 25 Apr 2003, 05:32   #1
MrBrick
Gone

MrBrick is an unknown quantity at this point
IRQ vs Audigy vs Win2k Server

My machine seems insistant on crashing at random, and systematically with a rang of IRQ errors. It's all started since I installed the various bits and bobs that creative provide with the Audigy card (Not Drivers, the EAX stuff and Playcenter). It now does it every time I load a single player game of Devastation, multiplayer is fine, and when I use winamp or media player over an extended period.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

90% of the time it bluescreens with an IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL-TO error. (typed from memory, not accurate :/ )

Whatever the hell that is.

Any ideas?
MrBrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 14:31   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
IRQ_LESS_THAN_EQUAL-TO is Windows 2k/xp's "oh my god help too many things are trying to use one IRQ and I don't know what the hell to do about it!" panic message.

I will start procedings by saying:
Are you using a VIA chipset?
99% of problems involving soundblasters and IRQs are VIA's fault.

Unread 25 Apr 2003, 17:27   #3
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Aye, I get that in Win XP playing stuff like Command and Conquer. Any solutions? I've got a SB 5.1 Live. :e_chick:
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 17:56   #4
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
With VIA chipsets you can try
a) Changing the PCI Latency timer in the BIOS (whether you need to increase or decrease the setting seems to just depend on your system)
b) getting the latest VIA 4in1 drivers
C) if a and b fail, try forcing your soundcard to a different IRQ (see your BIOS again). Most specifically, keep it OFF your video card's IRQ especially if you have an nVidia card - they're very picky about that sort of thing.

Unread 25 Apr 2003, 18:06   #5
SyPh0n
supadupafly

SyPh0n is an unknown quantity at this point
Wayay! Thats a snap then;

GForce 4Ti and a SB 5.1

Might have a fiddle.
Unread 25 Apr 2003, 22:09   #6
MrBrick
Gone

Machine :

2 x Xeon 2.4GHz
1 gig Rbus
Geforce 4 Ti4600
SB Audigy Plat.

I will fiddle with BIOS, I've been meaning to turn HT off for months anyway.
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 01:55   #7
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
This wont be seen as aprticularly helpful, but Creative cant design a bus mastering sound card for ****. Their drivers arent much cop either. Its not much of a solution, but if you took that crap out of there and dropped in a Videlogic Sonic Fury or a Santa Cruz Turtle Beach (Europe or North America - same card, different names \o/) all those problems would disappear.

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 06:50   #8
MrBrick
Gone

Hmm, it's a tempting idea MT.

I inadvertantly picked this rig up for a grand, so have quite a bit of my "build a 1337 PC" budget left.

Although I was intending on blowing it on a 9800 pro when the little buggers are release.
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 11:01   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
the 9800pro is available online in UK for sometime already.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2003, 16:29   #10
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrick
Hmm, it's a tempting idea MT.

I inadvertantly picked this rig up for a grand, so have quite a bit of my "build a 1337 PC" budget left.

Although I was intending on blowing it on a 9800 pro when the little buggers are release.
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/site/produ...oductId=601577