User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 25 Apr 2006, 17:25   #1
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold
Cathaar anomaly

It was one or two days ago, looking at sandmans, when I realized that the Cathaar average score, size and value had suffered significant drops. I thought "hey, finally they start taking hits". But then the graph of the planet numbers caught my eye.

http://sandmans.co.uk/graph-race.php...ets&large=true

Do you see that anomaly? Where the planet number of Cathaars suddenly rises a lot, just to come back to its normal growth after some ticks?

For me this cries "abuse". Is it some kind of multi? A bot army? Or maybe an alliance where everyone created a second fake account? For me, it doesn't look legitimate at all, and I can't believe this is just coincidence.

An alliance just starting late, all as Cathaar? Very unlikely and improbable. But the number of new Cathaar that don't overlap with the normal growth is about 50. What does this suggest to you? Someone trying to win the game unlegitimately?

What do you think? I, for once, am sure there is something not right and breaking the EULA involved.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr

Last edited by XelNaga; 25 Apr 2006 at 17:33.
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 17:40   #2
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Cathaar anomaly

Either the dump data is wrong or a bunch of planets signed up and ALL went cath in a period of a few ticks. Very wierd either way.
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 17:50   #3
Willzzz
Legion Idle Master

Willzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud ofWillzzz has much to be proud of

I personaly think your looking to much into it. But thats just me. I would think perhaps the dumps were wrong.

Played: Round 1-13. PA Team: Round 13-17. The Return: Round 18-19. PA Team: Round 20. Return.. Again: Round 21-37 Retired: Round 38 Returned: Round 39-45 Retired: Round 45 Returned: Round: 56

p3nguin Founder
Willzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 18:06   #4
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

I'd also point out that if people joining looked at the top 10, which race do you think they'd choose?
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 18:11   #5
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

That still wouldn't explain why suddenly so much people more than usual sign up over a period of some ticks. I have a new theory, someone created a lot of accounts to stop other galaxies from getting good exilers. But it's all just theories...it's very weird either way, as Sid said.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 18:46   #6
Sandman

Sandman is a name known to allSandman is a name known to allSandman is a name known to allSandman is a name known to allSandman is a name known to allSandman is a name known to all

I looked at this yesterday, here's a page I knocked up showing the current status of all those new signups, which were spread over about 6 ticks. There's a bit of leeway to show the norm.

http://www.sandmans.co.uk/?p=catsignups
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 18:47   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

The dumps were not wrong.
Code:
 tick | count
------+-------
  220 |   425
  221 |   426
  222 |   431
  223 |   441
  224 |   449
  225 |   458
  226 |   469
  227 |   474
  228 |   474
In the space of 6 ticks, ~50 signups went Cath.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 19:00   #8
-TPM-

-TPM- is on a distinguished road

Well if it is someone trying to cheat I'd think it'd be easy for the PA team to spot.
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 19:10   #9
XelNaga

To be honnest, you don't even want to know how easy it would be to multi. Botting is another thing, I have no clue about that. It would be easy to read all sorts of stuff into that list, sandman, but quite frankly, you can't tell anything from it. What strikes me a little is the names, but as I said, you can read all kinds of stuff into it if you want to.

Unread 25 Apr 2006, 19:13   #10
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNaga
What strikes me a little is the names, but as I said, you can read all kinds of stuff into it if you want to.
This struck me too. It's almost too shoddy for an actual cheating attempt!
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 19:22   #11
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Just compare the names to these .txt files that were shipped with that one version of the offline pa clone.
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 20:23   #12
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless
Just compare the names to these .txt files that were shipped with that one version of the offline pa clone.
got a link to a upload one? or a sample?

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 20:41   #13
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
In the space of 6 ticks, ~50 signups went Cath.
50 planets signing up within 6 ticks is worrying itself

Them all going cath really seems weird, I like the explanation with the top ten though, might be the reason.

This should be looked into though. Could be free galaxy spies, as we've encountered that before.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 21:18   #14
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

Incidently I read this thread now while our gal is about to exile one of exactly these planets. I might add to the odd things about these planets: this planet didnt do even one construction or one research since he started what would have been about 40 ticks ago...

and that although hes online sometimes - so might be spy planets prolly...
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Last edited by Robsch; 25 Apr 2006 at 21:32.
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 21:37   #15
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

mass closed, culprit found, issue solved.
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 21:56   #16
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

name and shame?
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 22:11   #17
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
name and shame?
Killmark
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 22:36   #18
XelNaga

I'd rather be interested into what was the motivation behind it?

Unread 25 Apr 2006, 22:46   #19
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The most important is that it was detected and handled upon b4 it affected anything of the round.

New players going cath though..understandable. Very

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 23:14   #20
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
name and shame?

yea, name and shame them

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 23:35   #21
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

I admit, it was Stif.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Apr 2006, 23:45   #22
xtothez
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

Sorry guys I went to signup and pressed enter too many times :(
Unread 26 Apr 2006, 01:57   #23
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Sorry guys I went to signup and pressed enter too many times
o_O
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2006, 07:52   #24
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtothez
Sorry guys I went to signup and pressed enter too many times
If only it was that simple.

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Apr 2006, 07:56   #25
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
The most important is that it was detected and handled upon b4 it affected anything of the round.

New players going cath though..understandable. Very
You really don't help yourself here.
Unread 26 Apr 2006, 23:35   #26
Shyne
Flash in the PAN

Shyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud ofShyne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
50 planets signing up within 6 ticks is worrying itself
According to my records approx 4people signup per tick as the current tick stands.

So the signup rate doubled temporarily.
Shyne is offline   Reply With Quote