User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jun 2004, 12:12   #101
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
Re: Henman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Not really. Games that have all weapons fairly equal generally lose higher level strategic elements because there's no longer the issue of map control. It all comes down to 'how good you are at shooting people' really.
wrong. the weapons aren't even close to equal, even more so now the levels became bigger and less flat .(so the rifle has become pretty useless for example). the 'double-jump' doesn't really make things easier aswell...
secondly it's still all about map control (when you play properly that is). it doesn't matter how good your aiming is when your opponents are shieldtiming and using standard routes for optimum result - for example.
and things get even more interesting in TDM, where you have to stick together as a team, holding the best areas in the level.

ps: all other gamemodes other than DM, TDM and CTF are gh3y+.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 12:17   #102
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
wrong. the weapons aren't even close to equal, even more so now the levels became bigger and less flat . (so the rifle has become pretty useless for example)
I'd beg to differ. They're all good for different circumstances; this means that they're anything but unbalanced, because you'd see one weapon dominating disproportionately, which you don't. Yes, the rifle isn't very good, but it's the default starting weapon, so you wouldn't expect it to be. Furthermore, the grenades do 50 damage each from the rifle, so it's not like you're completely defenseless.

Quote:
the 'double-jump' doesn't really make things easier aswell...
The double-jump is something that only 'new' players to the game do beyond that which is required for map negotiation. There's relatively little air control in UT2K4, and doing a double jump just means the opponent knows exactly where you're going to land.

Quote:
ps: all other gamemodes other than DM, TDM and CTF are gh3y+.
This statement is utterly invalidated by the last word. Also by the fact that it's entirely wrong. (BR, ONS ++)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 12:28   #103
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Yes, the rifle isn't very good, but it's the default starting weapon, so you wouldn't expect it to be. Furthermore, the grenades do 50 damage each from the rifle, so it's not like you're completely defenseless.
i didn't mean that gun, i mean the sniper-rifle(s). they also reload much slower now btw.

Quote:
The double-jump is something that only 'new' players to the game do beyond that which is required for map negotiation. There's relatively little air control in UT2K4, and doing a double jump just means the opponent knows exactly where you're going to land.
you need the double jump in practically every level to reach guns/shields/amplifiers or whatever. they adapted the levels to the new jump, which is a good thing i think.
and ofc you shouldn't jump in combat, not only because of the opponent knowing where you will land, it also doesn't do much good to your aiming.

Quote:
This statement is utterly invalidated by the last word. Also by the fact that it's entirely wrong. (BR, ONS ++)
if you want to play with cars i suggest you to go play GTA. it has nothing to do with UT and it's as unbalanced as a game can be. to improve your 'skills' you should play DM.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 12:39   #104
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
i didn't mean that gun, i mean the sniper-rifle(s). they also reload much slower now btw.
How the hell can you say the LG or the SR are BAD guns? They're excellent at medium to long range, if you have any hitscan ability at all.

Quote:
you need the double jump in practically every level to reach guns/shields/amplifiers or whatever. they adapted the levels to the new jump, which is a good thing i think.
The only change from UT2K3 is the lack of the boostjump. The jump of choice now is the dodgejump. I'd like to see you try to get around Antalus (for example) without using it. You also go much slower and more predictably if you don't do it all the time.

Quote:
and ofc you shouldn't jump in combat, not only because of the opponent knowing where you will land, it also doesn't do much good to your aiming.
You SHOULD jump in combat, just not the single/double jump unless it's a feint against your opponent. You SHOULD be dodgejumping all the time, and if your aim is screwed by it, you need to practice more.

Quote:
if you want to play with cars i suggest you to go play GTA. it has nothing to do with UT and it's as unbalanced as a game can be. to improve your 'skills' you should play DM.
1 on 1 DMing is the way to go if you want to improve your DMming, which is obviously a big part of all game modes. HOWEVER the game is played for fun, not to get better at the game. If I wanted to get better at the game, I'd spend hours practicing shock combos; I don't, I play games, for fun.

In addition, ONS is unbalanced? There are the odd unbalancing issues on the maps (the initial mantaharass on AS is much quicker and easier on red, for example, and other small things, such as being slightly nearer to one Super weapon, or different node visability (see: severance, torlan for those)) but the game itself isn't unbalanced.

Furthermore, you haven't commented at all on Bombing Run, perhaps you haven't played it properly?
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 12:39   #105
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The day games like Quake Starcraft and UT are mainstream tele viewing, is the day we've really lost our way.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 13:19   #106
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
How the hell can you say the LG or the SR are BAD guns? They're excellent at medium to long range, if you have any hitscan ability at all.
LG tells exactly where you are, and you have a very small chance to actually hit people in the first place anyway. (and when you do, they don't die instantly). it's not just a bad gun, it's a terrible gun.
the SR is good at medium range, when there's a combat with other people. the 2nd fire is a bit slow though, was better in the old UT.
i prefer the minigun or flak.

Quote:
You SHOULD jump in combat, just not the single/double jump unless it's a feint against your opponent. You SHOULD be dodgejumping all the time, and if your aim is screwed by it, you need to practice more..
dodgejumping usually isn't necessary in a close/medium range combat. a few steps to the left or right are usually much more accurate.

Quote:
In addition, ONS is unbalanced? There are the odd unbalancing issues on the maps (the initial mantaharass on AS is much quicker and easier on red, for example, and other small things, such as being slightly nearer to one Super weapon, or different node visability (see: severance, torlan for those)) but the game itself isn't unbalanced..
right....i think you can see for yourself you're contradicting yourself there.

Quote:
Furthermore, you haven't commented at all on Bombing Run, perhaps you haven't played it properly?
i played it 2 times with bots. and i hated it.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 17:38   #107
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
LG tells exactly where you are, and you have a very small chance to actually hit people in the first place anyway.
That just means your hitscan isn't good enough. I can hit with it 40-50% of the time or more, and I need to do a lot of improving. A 'very small chance to actually hit' with a hitscan weapon doesn't reflect badly on the weapon, it's entirely down to the player.

Quote:
the SR is good at medium range, when there's a combat with other people. the 2nd fire is a bit slow though, was better in the old UT.
The secondary fire on the sniper rifle? The zoom? Seriously dude, you should NEVER use the zoom. Practice hitting people without it, it'll make you a better player.

Quote:
i prefer the minigun or flak.
Flak shells aren't very good at anything beyond 10 virtual yards, because they're a combination of predictable and extremely precise damage. Something like a shock combo will do you much better.

Quote:
dodgejumping usually isn't necessary in a close/medium range combat. a few steps to the left or right are usually much more accurate.
Accurate for what? If you mean 'easier for the other player to hit you', then yes. If you're not dodge/wall jumping, you're exceptionally easy to hit with any weapon.

Quote:
right....i think you can see for yourself you're contradicting yourself there.
Just because some of the maps give you a couple of second advantage (assuming everything else is equal) doesn't mean that the game mode is unbalanced dude. By this reasoning, DM must be unbalanced, because you can't both spawn equidistant from all the weapons.

Quote:
i played it 2 times with bots. and i hated it.
People who hate it (and this is from experience) generally haven't played it properly. Were you driving forward carrying the ball, using the bots for fire support?

Don't.

BR is all about mobility, and whilst the bots can't compete with humans for mobility, they're pretty reasonable at BR
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 18:24   #108
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
That just means your hitscan isn't good enough. I can hit with it 40-50% of the time or more, and I need to do a lot of improving. A 'very small chance to actually hit' with a hitscan weapon doesn't reflect badly on the weapon, it's entirely down to the player.
can you please tell me what 'hitscan' is?

Quote:
The secondary fire on the sniper rifle? The zoom? Seriously dude, you should NEVER use the zoom. Practice hitting people without it, it'll make you a better player..
Shock Rifle.
about the snipe-rifle: i've been playing more snipe levels than standard levels in old UT and i'm still pretty good with it, but that doesn't take away it's a crap gun in UT2k4.

Quote:
Flak shells aren't very good at anything beyond 10 virtual yards, because they're a combination of predictable and extremely precise damage. Something like a shock combo will do you much better.
the shock combo was/is good, but slow. you'll lose it when you're in a 1 on 1 battle, while it's hard to lose 1 on 1 when having the flak.

Quote:
Accurate for what? If you mean 'easier for the other player to hit you', then yes. If you're not dodge/wall jumping, you're exceptionally easy to hit with any weapon..
when dodge-jumping it's impossible to aim. it's a nice move, and necessary to master, but you're being pretty ineffective when you're using it all the time.

Quote:
Just because some of the maps give you a couple of second advantage (assuming everything else is equal) doesn't mean that the game mode is unbalanced dude. By this reasoning, DM must be unbalanced, because you can't both spawn equidistant from all the weapons.
it takes too much time to take over a power core or destroy the other teams base. any half-decent player should be able to kill anyone who tries it in seconds, even more so with the super-weapons on the vehicles.
and yes, all maps start with an advantage for one team. i've never seen a team lose when they got the advantage in the start.

Quote:
People who hate it (and this is from experience) generally haven't played it properly. Were you driving forward carrying the ball, using the bots for fire support?

Don't.

BR is all about mobility, and whilst the bots can't compete with humans for mobility, they're pretty reasonable at BR
the bots go blindy for the ball, it's no challenge to kill them in that game. so i decided to go get a ball myself. was back in a minute. won.
ofc it should be more fun over internet, i just cba to try it yet, as the game sucks big time when playing it with bots.

anyway, if you feel like playing against me some time, join #ut on netgamers.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 18:37   #109
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
can you please tell me what 'hitscan' is?
Oh dear.

Hitscan weapons (Shock Primary, LG/SR, Minigun Primary) travel instantaneously to their targets, after taking lag into account. So if you have a ping of 0 and press fire when someone's in your sights, you will always hit. The only leading you need to do is to compensate for ping.

Quote:
Shock Rifle.
about the snipe-rifle: i've been playing more snipe levels than standard levels in old UT and i'm still pretty good with it, but that doesn't take away it's a crap gun in UT2k4.
The shock rifle is possibly the most useful gun in UT2K4, especially in TDM.

The sniper rifle is a very good weapon.

Quote:
the shock combo was/is good, but slow. you'll lose it when you're in a 1 on 1 battle, while it's hard to lose 1 on 1 when having the flak.
If you think the shock combo is useless in 1 on 1, I don't know what kind of 1 on 1 you're playing. If you can anticipate where they're going to be (either by hearing them move around the level/knowing their patterns, seeing them move for an item, or just by spamming secondary) then it's pretty much a guaranteed kill.

Quote:
when dodge-jumping it's impossible to aim. it's a nice move, and necessary to master, but you're being pretty ineffective when you're using it all the time.
It isn't impossible to aim when dodgejumping. I (think) I have serverside demos proving this.

Quote:
it takes too much time to take over a power core or destroy the other teams base. any half-decent player should be able to kill anyone who tries it in seconds, even more so with the super-weapons on the vehicles.
Re: The power cores. It's not about destroying it in one go, it's about causing as much damage as you can. If it didn't take a minute or so to destroy, the gametype would be ruined because one slip meant that you were even less likely to make a comeback.

Re: The vehicles... what if they don't have any vehicles? What if you're in a vehicle?

If you've not played Ons as a member of a proper team, you're not really appreciating the game style; it's all about strategy.

Quote:
and yes, all maps start with an advantage for one team. i've never seen a team lose when they got the advantage in the start.
Don't try to make it sound like Ons is decided by the map, over the player skills; it's not. Most map advantages are of the order of 'it's ever so slightly quicker to go here' or 'there's a bit more visability'. The skill of the team (and its constituent players) is much more important than the map colour.

Quote:
was back in a minute. won.
What difficulty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koen
join #ut on netgamers
It'd be quicker for you to join #guts on irc.enterthegame.com , as I wouldn't have to tell you the information for our server (assuming you want to play on it; we'd both ping badly to it as its in the US, but it'd be fair)
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 18:48   #110
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

i'm there, waiting.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 18:55   #111
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
i'm there, waiting.
Koen can't play because he didn't buy the game, and someone is using the cd key they bought and KoeN was using.

gg koen.
Unread 23 Jun 2004, 19:49   #112
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

heh gg koen indeed.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jun 2004, 00:30   #113
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

i'll fix it monday.