User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:07   #1
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
To move, or not to move...

So we're signing up, and the free universe is getting filled. Question now is, should i bother to move to the paid universe yet or not?

To me it's obvious, i want to stay in the free universe for a while, there is a way better chance of having nice targets in the free, than in the paid for. Hopefully we dont have the whole truth yet, or atleast i havent figured it out...

Try and convince me to upgrade my account pls.
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:09   #2
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
You have until September 10 to decide.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:15   #3
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
dabult, I posted the axact same thing some time ago, however I spent like 20 more lines than you explaining it ^^

Youll get some more resources if you start in the paid universe, and you cant bring everything you cap from the free to the paid afaik.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:23   #4
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

One reason to move sooner rather than later would be more time to get your galaxy and local alliance(s) sorted (utility of local alliances depends on the variable travel time thingie--dunno if that's in or not. You may have to wait on the manual to know for sure). Another reason to move sooner is that there will supposedly be some restrictions on what you can do in the free universe and/or how many roids you can take with you to the paid universe. I don't know what those restrictions are, however. Guess you may have to wait on the manual for that too.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:41   #5
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Heh, I couldnt wait any longer

For everybody's info:
Metal Crystal Eonium
10.000 10.000 10.000

Instead of 5k of each (:
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:42   #6
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
I moved, and I got additional 5k of each resource

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 22:49   #7
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
it is better to move before tick starts to get those extra resources, but atm it is better to stay with 9 blokes in a temporary gal rather than moving and end up alone (take a look at the cluster 1-10). At least we can make a few extra friends.
Unread 25 Aug 2003, 23:33   #8
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
I see no reason to pay until I know a bit more about what I'm paying for.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 01:50   #9
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
Indeed, many need to see what they will get when paying.
Hopefully, the public beta, manual and trial period will help on this issue.
But the longer you ait after the ticks start, the less those 15 K of resources are worth, so to speak.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 02:39   #10
zenopus
Xenoc

If you move before tick start, those 5k of each resource are equivalent to approx. 3 ticks.
If you move once you have 50 roids, the resources are equivalent to approx. 1 tick.

Delaying the move cannot put you more than 3 ticks behind.
Any advantages that can be gained by delaying the move might well make a delay worth it.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 02:42   #11
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
If you move before tick start, those 5k of each resource are equivalent to approx. 3 ticks.
If you move once you have 50 roids, the resources are equivalent to approx. 1 tick.

Delaying the move cannot put you more than 3 ticks behind.
Any advantages that can be gained by delaying the move might well make a delay worth it.

You're assuming you take all your roids with you when you move though, which is an unfounded assumption.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 07:43   #12
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
You're assuming you take all your roids with you when you move though, which is an unfounded assumption.
Not quite, I decided not to take that into account as details on the subject have yet to be made public.

There is little point in staying in the free part of the universe unless you can come out of protection there and then grow at a better rate than you could expect in the paid part of the universe, and carry that advantage with you when you move.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 07:54   #13
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold
Exactly, there's little point in staying in the free part of the universe once the tick starts.
The public beta should be enough for you to decide if you're going to p2p or not.
If there was a point in staying in the free part, there would be little point in paying... logically Jolt will prefer people to pay don't you think ?
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 08:49   #14
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Makhil
If there was a point in staying in the free part, there would be little point in paying... logically Jolt will prefer people to pay ...
Indeed, but as a planet in the free part of the universe expires after 2 weeks, not moving is not an option.
This thread is concerned with establishing if it is better to move immediately or to delay.
Unread 26 Aug 2003, 23:34   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
If a %age of your roids/resources/score/networth is removed, then wouldnt it be in your best intrests to be as violent as possible, and then get the jump on the early paying people? Obviously, this is not applicable if the cutoff is set at a specific limit (such as 15 roids) or whatever.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 00:34   #16
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ofc, I haven't seen anything to indicate that the free portion of the universe is any more newbish than average. There'll be some easy targets but most will probably still be old pros. Tho there is the point that they can't get def from paid alliance members...

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2003, 00:37   #17
Ruler
leecher

Ruler is an unknown quantity at this point
JUST MOVE!!

Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote