User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Aug 2003, 18:39   #1
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Windows 2000 Server Restrictions

Hello

I am wanting to stop Network users from getting onto the Internet, I have a couple of sites which should be allowed through but the rest is a no no.

Is this possible?

Cheers

Dan

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 14:20   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Not with the standard Win2k kit (I think... I can't find anything in my book), though there is a Microsoft Proxy that can probably do that. Otherwise a 3rd party Proxy can do the trick.

Or...
You can fiddle around with the Router or DNS service a bit. For example you add an entry to the Router (a static route) that will redirect EVERYTHING to 0.0.0.0, except the sites you want your users to visit. Ofcourse, this is a rather unpretty solution.
I'd go for a proxy.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:27   #3
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
1: Get an oldish piece of crap PC
2: Install any decent Linux distro (Mandrake, SuSe, RedHat etc)
3: Install and configure Squid (it's nice and easy)
4: Setup the users PC's to use the Squid box as a proxy
5: Block the bad sites using SquidGuard
6: Laugh at the plebs who can't download their pr0n anymore

It worked for me

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 15:29   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Or if you really have to use Windows

Get Kerio Winroute Pro

and use that instead of Squid and SquidGuard

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 16:11   #5
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaio
Or if you really have to use Windows

Get Kerio Winroute Pro

and use that instead of Squid and SquidGuard

Vaio
I can use that on my current server with 2000 Server right?

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 17:16   #6
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Yup, you wont have a problem with it

BTW

Don't use the registration crack available from all those naughty cracks sites as this will deprive a poor starving programmer of a new Porsche

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 17:19   #7
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Yup, you wont have a problem with it

BTW

Don't use the registration crack available from all those naughty cracks sites as this will deprive a poor starving programmer of a new Porsche

Vaio
I won't

I'll buy him the god damn Porsche

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 17:24   #8
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Programmers that invent software that works first time with no bugs deserve Porsches

So why do so many at Microsoft have them ? They all can't have invented Freecell

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 17:25   #9
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Programmers that invent software that works first time with no bugs deserve Porsches

So why do so many at Microsoft have them ? They all can't have invented Freecell

Vaio
Or Minesweeper, which wasn't even a MS game originally.

I won't crack it, especially as it is for business purposes.

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks
Unread 19 Aug 2003, 19:52   #10
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
Not with the standard Win2k kit (I think... I can't find anything in my book), though there is a Microsoft Proxy that can probably do that. Otherwise a 3rd party Proxy can do the trick.

Or...
You can fiddle around with the Router or DNS service a bit. For example you add an entry to the Router (a static route) that will redirect EVERYTHING to 0.0.0.0, except the sites you want your users to visit. Ofcourse, this is a rather unpretty solution.
I'd go for a proxy.
Microsoft Proxy is now ISA Server

There's a Squid for Win2K around somewhere if you don't mind editting a textfile.
Unread 20 Aug 2003, 03:08   #11
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
If your feeling ambitious (and your permissions are suitable harsh to prevent the user overriding them) its perfectly feasible for you to write a set of PICSRules to be imported by your browser (Well IE at least.. I dont have other browsers to know if they support them).

PICSRules are a set of rules that determine which sites a user can view, and can be imported using the Advanced tab of the Content Advisor accessed via the Internet Settings option in control panel or Internet Options from IE's tools menu.

Details on the rule specfication can be found at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-PICSRules-971229.html.

This obviously only restricts web browsing, from your initial description I was unable to guage the scope you required.
Unread 20 Aug 2003, 17:03   #12
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Too much like hard work

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Unread 20 Aug 2003, 17:23   #13
Minty
Who?

Quote:
Too much like hard work

Vaio
Lazy

But I guess you're right.

Its not the fact that its too much work, its I ahve no idea what its on about. But thats me (noob)

I'll look into it further

<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Game> Minty rocks