User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 25 Aug 2009, 22:35   #1
Kattepis
De aroma komt je tegemoet

Kattepis is infamous around these parts
Stats

When round ends it takes a long time before the new stats are being reformed.
I agree we need to change the stats every round to keep the game interesting.
But i think the new stats should be finished like 1 day after rounds end.

Its not user friendly to keep players waiting for new stats for a long time.

And IF pa gets a few new signups they get scared off cause the stats changes in their eyes just before roundstart.

Its not user friendly. The rounds are long enough to work on the stats and only small changes can be made when needed at roundsend.
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 22:54   #2
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stats

It's a fair point to say that people would benefit from more time to assess the stats before round starts, but you'd really have to understand the time it takes to create a set of stats (or refine one) before you'd suggest earlier deadlines.

Some sets of stats are better than others, and sometimes it takes a round being played out in full with one set of stats before you can really identify any imbalances/redundancies.

At any rate, I'm told these stats for R33 are a brand new set (could be wrong, didn't play last round) and so to expect one person (who volunteers, by the way) to be able to come up with a working set of stats as soon as one round finishes ready for the next is unfortunately quite unreasonable.
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 22:59   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattepis View Post
I agree we need to change the stats every round to keep the game interesting.
I don't.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 23:16   #4
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

i agree they should start working on the next rds stats while a current round is underway also gives time for beta to iron out any problems so they can release the stats at the end of a round ready for the next round before sign-ups open

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 23:34   #5
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

If you're still relying on beta to finalise the stats, how does that differ from what we're doing atm?
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 00:10   #6
Munkee
Dictator

Munkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to beholdMunkee is a splendid one to behold

As new round begins set beta up with some proposed stats for the following round and run it at 15 min ticks or infact some stats which were proposed but not chosen for the current round. Aka jbg's stats this round
Munkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 00:31   #7
t3k
The Video Guy

Right, so run betas at the same time as the main round?

Would that put extra strain on the servers?
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 02:09   #8
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Beta is used to test stats ? Bcalc should be enough.
I like new stats and I agree with Kattepis they come far too late, but I don't think we have to change them to keep the rounds interesting.
Good stats should win the right to be reused (with minor tweaks) for the following round and kept fo later if needed.
After all Chess has used the same "stats" for eons and each new game is still interesting...
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 03:02   #9
t3k
The Video Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
After all Chess has used the same "stats" for eons and each new game is still interesting...
Actually, zPeti bought the rights to chess. To keep with the changing times, the Queen can still move in any direction but requires goverment approval to do so. Pawns can only move backwards, and only ever 2 at a time. Rooks are castles and obviously can't move in any direction, ever. The Bishop has been removed altogether and is only available in the Junior Edition. The Bishop was replaced instead with an 'American laser-guided precision bomb', which can only eliminate pieces of the same side, and due to living outside of a monarchical society, eliminating the King no longer does a god damned thing.
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 15:28   #10
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Finalise stats when you open signups, yeh.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 16:01   #11
ricoshay
Save energy: Be apathetic

ricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to beholdricoshay is a splendid one to behold

That would be the professional way of doing things. God knows we couldn't handle that. :/
Unread 27 Aug 2009, 13:54   #12
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to get an ongoing beta process going, but it hasn't happened yet.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2009, 14:41   #13
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
I don't.
Possibly due to playing a scan planet?
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2009, 15:09   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No. Surely you only need to look at the suggestions I've advocated in the past to know that few if any of the changes I propose or endorse are aimed to improve the gameplay experience of the already spoiled veterans.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2009, 17:47   #15
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
I've been trying to get an ongoing beta process going, but it hasn't happened yet.
this.

AND.. I'm always #pastats whenever I am on irc. it isn't the stats makers fault that people generally don't care to look at or help with the stats until 5 days before the next round starts. my original set must've been on the beta server 2-3 weeks (or more) before R32 actually ended because I remember trying to contact people that had given me input in the past (to no avail - hi JungleMuffin, Patrikc, etc).
Unread 28 Aug 2009, 02:14   #16
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

If people knew the deadline was sooner, they'd probably look sooner. That said, when people are busy concentrating on the ongoing round, they may not be able to spend as much time working on the stats.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote