User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Aug 2009, 23:41   #201
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future
Re: R32 stats and next round :p

First of all, I applaud your honesty and openness.

Second, do you have more problems reading the new stats (beta ones) than you have with, say, last round's stats?

I think that new players won't quit over more complicated stats. Either they like the aspect of the game, or they don't. How difficult they are to understand only plays a role in how long it takes to get a good grip on them, not whether they'll even bother to try and understand them.
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2009, 23:48   #202
Crantor
Nice to be Loved

Crantor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrikc View Post
First of all, I applaud your honesty and openness.

Second, do you have more problems reading the new stats (beta ones) than you have with, say, last round's stats?

I think that new players won't quit over more complicated stats. Either they like the aspect of the game, or they don't. How difficult they are to understand only plays a role in how long it takes to get a good grip on them, not whether they'll even bother to try and understand them.
Honestly, (I think) last round stats were easier for me. Too many fleet types to interact this round. 3 different attack fleets possible, SKS at FI/CO level. wow.

Give me simpler stats at least every once in a while

4D
H-A
Denial
ODDR
ROCK - FOREVER
Crantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 03:06   #203
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

Its a shame these stats have been altered so much from the proposed set of last round.

As far as alot of ships and ease of play go, i believe with a good set, they arent mutually exclusive.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 04:33   #204
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crantor View Post
Give me simpler stats at least every once in a while
You get it every other round by what we've seen in the last several rounds.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 04:50   #205
Crantor
Nice to be Loved

Crantor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'll just keep plugging along and decipher it.

4D
H-A
Denial
ODDR
ROCK - FOREVER
Crantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 09:41   #206
Onim
the inquisition incarnate

Onim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to allOnim is a name known to all

did you guys actually notice that together with the armour decrease, also the damage is reduced?

But while saying that, you can easily see that ter cr/bs is pretty strong. All cr/bs is strong, of every race tbh. and with defships like the avenger , the harpy/phoenix combo and the beetle (which is still v strong, even with the nerfed init) we'll gonna see a lot of ppl going CR/BS. And i dont blame em

"It never hurts to Help!" [Eek the Cat]

Denying existence during r3-6 and back in denial since r22
Onim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 10:36   #207
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Well, theres been plenty of rounds before when CR\BS looked strong on paper, yet people insist on whoring fi\co in order to have their eta 8 attackfleet. I guess only time will tell whats going to happen this round.
Unread 23 Aug 2009, 21:23   #208
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee View Post
Last round zik was pretty much balanced yes. It required effort to play imo and a little luck to make sure you ended up with some co or fi pods. I will say that any changes to lower their efficiency/armour will completely **** them .... i came t60 with zik btw and it took some luck in a not so great gal.
I think this is important. Zikonian last round required a bit of luck and a bit of skill, and they didn't really become a serious factor in the top rankings until late on. This is exactly how Zikonian should play, whereby that any solid player handling a zik planet reaps the rewards late on and heads for the top rankings. Why? Because they're the toughest race given that their initiative is non existent.

I think last round's stats were phenomenally good - I am no stats expert and they were easy for me to get my head around, understand in terms of a calc and they enabled several different strategies. The races were actually playing different games, at the top level at least.

Stats should always be pretty clear and simple in my view, so it's pretty obvious what works, what doesn't work. Some have argued this eliminates creativity, but I disagree. If anything stats that are too complex just result in the same old lol I have more defence and more activity than you strategy of everyone going for the same stuff to play it safe. This is for two reasons: first of all because it's difficult to balance them and secondly because people just can't be bothered to understand them.

What results is that it just cannonballs into one class because you have to have it to defend anything. By keeping it simple you let people be creative in how they balance their fleets (do I keep my fleet evenly split between particular classes? do I focus on one? what am I going to build for defence out of class of my main roiding fleet?). Activity in this game rewards itself, the stats should not attempt to exacerbate this gap, and judging from this discussion, they clearly do. The stats should not be some arcane table that no one understands; instead make them accessible so that newbies can just pick up and play and give each race a decent roiding fleet mixed with some vulnerabilities - the best players will always find ways to have stronger fleet combinations.

So yeah, think about what you want to achieve with stats, because I think there are some basic principles that are always going to apply.
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 01:47   #209
Grog
Benevolent Dictator

Grog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud ofGrog has much to be proud of

Looking at it & reading the discussions going on, does anyone at all think that terran fr, xan fr, cath de or ETD de are reasonable choices for a roiding fleet?

There's 3 pod types but for some reason there are huge intentional holes left in all of the fr/de fleets to make them virtually pointless for anything other then def fleets.

It seems like the only real options for roiding fleets are fi/co or bs/cr.

What's the point of 3 pod types if you're going to hamstring an entire factory class?
Grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 06:50   #210
Tiamat101

Tiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the roughTiamat101 is a jewel in the rough

Grog i wish you would see this for what its really worth. Yes Cath de's have a hole. Big deal what fr's will shoot them back? None. SO that means there hole is pointless the fr/de classes are attack fleets for a reason. The fi/co are def fleets except for Etd's which own.

Other than that its a good balance in the fr/de mega class works well make fortressing harding which imho is better.

A point that was adressed earlier about ship armor and damage, especially when it comes to fi/co. There is NO difference between Co and Fi's damage or armor really. In past rounds Co have always been 15-30% more damage and 20-30% more armor than fi's. Well this round its more like 1% there is Almost no difference. all xan fi/co has 5 damage and almost the same armor for the higher cost. cutlass has 1 more armor than the xan fi's and tradionally zik ships are bigger and more armored than xan ships. Why the armor decrease. Damage is a whole different story. Smuggler? wtf, same stats as the cutlass with more cost and is a Co thus making it primary on almost everything. Why the reduction give the Smuggler 9 or 10 armor and change its damage to 10-12. That will balance out the co/fi difference. Also the Devestator is a fi it has 9 armor and does more damage than all the fi/co out there. That needs to be fixed.

As regards to zik this round they are getting screwed because of the decrease and a/c and d/c there ships cost too much. you dont have to change there armor/damage just reduce the cost 10-20% and they will be playable. When they steal things currently its almost always a bad trade because of the value per ship.
Tiamat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 12:21   #211
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

For the love of ****ing god I would accept any piece of shit at this stage if someone would just finalise the ****ing stats.

Quote:
Yes Cath de's have a hole. Big deal what fr's will shoot them back? None.
The drake, the locust and the lancer actually.
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 12:34   #212
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

3 ships for 0 loss def, and at Alliance ETA, it's not a hole it's San Andreas Fault (and no, San Andreas didn't make the stats).
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 12:55   #213
[JungleMuffin]
Apple Hunt Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion

[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about[JungleMuffin] has a spectacular aura about

lol @ Hut, nice one xD

Yeah, i blame San Andreas too. Its all his Fault.
^^^^ Can you blv that sh*t?
[JungleMuffin] is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Aug 2009, 16:11   #214
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiamat101 View Post
Also the Devestator is a fi it has 9 armor and does more damage than all the fi/co out there. That needs to be fixed.
Since JBG already raped you on the Cath hole, I'm going to point this out.
Do you realize that you don't just look at armor and damage numbers without looking at cost?
Yes, the Deva has 9 armor.
No it doesn't have the highest FI armor or Ratio.
Yes, it does 8 damage.
No it isn't even close to doing the most damage of the FI/CO's.

r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 06:47   #215
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

When can we expect final stats?
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 09:16   #216
Yorga
Old Pharte

Yorga is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by isildurx View Post
When can we expect final stats?
is this another swine flu joke?
Yorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2009, 14:31   #217
Tazmaniandevil
Rion

Tazmaniandevil is an unknown quantity at this point

not loving the Phantom cant you bring them back to fi/co or would that totally mess the stats :P

Tazmaniandevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 06:29   #218
cknight725
[ND] for Life

cknight725 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its high time someone with a singular vision takes back control of stats instead of the "hot potato" method. Round to round its completely up in the air how to play this f'ing game.
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 10:02   #219
Deathrow

Deathrow is on a distinguished road

i loved etd last round for the steal options it gave, the focusing on one class was awesome.

this round its completely turned up side down again and etd stealing is made exactly like zik stealing again. With fr steals after fi/co and de between bs/cr, itll mean steals of all kinds again and a whole load of crap ships you cant use thatll just use up your value.

for me a really big loss, i dont see much fun in etd/zik this round

i tried explaining earlier what i liked about etd last round but i see my opinion doesnt really matter, nor do other opinions for that matter. This thread is just about who has the biggest flamethrower
Deathrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 11:47   #220
Gio2k
Bolivian Alpaca

Gio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond reputeGio2k has a reputation beyond repute

Stats are final. God save us. /o\
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 17:52   #221
Patrikc

Patrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant futurePatrikc has a brilliant future

Zik has gotten a boost since yesterday by the way, for those that hadn't noticed yet.

Cutlass +1 armor
Smuggler +1 damage
Thief +1 armor
Bucc +2 armor
Pirate +5 armor
Marauder +10 armor
and SK got 5x cheaper
Patrikc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Aug 2009, 18:19   #222
isildurx

Still doesnt make them very playable though does it?