User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 30 Nov 2006, 15:29   #1
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future
IE 7 (hey leshy)

hey guys. i don't know much about browsers etc, but i just downloaded it and i think it's supercool (it has tabs and all that). what's your opinion?
(i'm interested in your opinion in particular leshy, please comment).

KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 15:42   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: IE 7 (hey leshy)

itt, koen demonstrates insanity :P

Personally, i think its a heap of junk
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 15:44   #3
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

yes but why phil?

why

ITT you have to give reasons.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 15:46   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

It looks and feels terrible
Its sluggish
It STILL isnt standards compliant
Its incapable of only displaying the tab bar when there is actually more then one tab
It still has activex in it
Its being forced on users as a 'security update' to Windows

etc etc etc
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 16:57   #5
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
It looks and feels terrible
Its sluggish
Subjective, really.

Quote:
It STILL isnt standards compliant
Fair cop.
Quote:
Its incapable of only displaying the tab bar when there is actually more then one tab
Ditto.

Quote:
It still has activex in it
Its being forced on users as a 'security update' to Windows
ActiveX can, presumably, be disabled. And IE 7 certainly is a security update, in the sense that it replaces the horribly insecure IE6 with something hopefully more secure. The kind of people who have automatic updates enabled are the kind of people who need these things doing for them.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 17:50   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The only reason I ever used to use IE was to connect to my works systems (via Citrix). At the moment, it doesn't seem to work.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 19:29   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Horrible user-interface, slow, and the search box in the top right uses the hideous MSN search rather than google (I've no idea if its possilbe to change this).
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 20:10   #8
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wouldn't mind if every time I started using the damn thing my CPU load didn't go up to 100% for several minutes, then go back there after a page refresh.

Nod: The default Search is Google. You must have chosen MSN, you HEATHEN.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2006, 23:17   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

no, the default search engine is whatever you had set to default before in ie6 - or msn depending on what mood the installer was in
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 01:06   #10
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Erf, I hate threads involving MS products... you get so much uneducated "blah blah is crap" because people (sup Phil^) seem to think it's either cool to bash MS, or have used an unreliable product from them 400 years ago, and so now everything is crap.

In responses to above :

* In terms of performance, it seems OK to me.
* Looks are subjective. I would concede it looks out of place currently, but its designed to mimic the look and feel of Vista. Within a Vista environment it will probably seem nicer, but by all means, that isn't a justification for it.
* Standards compliance ... yup it is not 100% complient.... but then I don't think any browser is. The popular FireFox 2 by no means passes the Acid2 standards test (though I believe the development 3 version does).
* The search bar can be configured for most search pages.
* What is wrong with a product having ActiveX in it? Are all products capable of being an ActiveX container rubbish by the same definition? Word, Excel, PowerPoint... even good old WordPad?
* As for the comment on how it is being deployed.. Err? Whether or not your point is valid ... I hardly think its deployment policy has any relation to how well the application performs its intended operation once deployed.

However, as with most products ... it is certainly not perfect. My main problems with it are as follows:

* You can't shorten the address bar. I like all my icons on one line, up there with the address bar. You seem to have no control over this. (Leading me right on too...)
* You have very limited control over the position of the predefined buttons. I can't for example stick the home button next to my forward button.
* The "back history" (the list of pages you have visited recently) is accessed via the forward button. I find this very counter intuitive. I have a sneaky suspicion this is to reflect how it is in Vista.... but I'm going to hate it there as well if that is the case.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 06:36   #11
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging.Retard
Erf, I hate threads involving MS products... you get so much uneducated "blah blah is crap" because people (sup Phil^) seem to think it's either cool to bash MS, or have used an unreliable product from them 400 years ago, and so now everything is crap.
Or simply think that said product IS crap.
I was asked for my opinion - that is it. Its somewhat patronising of you to assume that i dont like it because i want to bash microsoft or hold a grudge for some reason.

With standards compliance i was more referring to css2 but yes, it doesnt pass acid2 either and as you rightly pointed out neither does firefox atm.
I think opera and safari are the only ones which do currently

Activex is a terrible terrible technology that has a deeply flawed implementation. It is a significant reason why there are so many exploits for things out there. yes its been patched again and again in order to try and make it better; but the best solution would have been to get rid of it entirely.

Regarding deployment, i resent how its being forced as a windows update in order to try and 'win the browser wars' again a-la-netscape. A products success should be entirely dependant on how good it is, not how easily it can be rammed down the average user's throat.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 08:19   #12
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Activex is a terrible terrible technology that has a deeply flawed implementation. It is a significant reason why there are so many exploits for things out there. yes its been patched again and again in order to try and make it better; but the best solution would have been to get rid of it entirely.

Regarding deployment, i resent how its being forced as a windows update in order to try and 'win the browser wars' again a-la-netscape. A products success should be entirely dependant on how good it is, not how easily it can be rammed down the average user's throat.
The activex implementation has changed so that activex things can;t just run by default (you need to conciously allow them on a case by case basis). Miscrosoft can;t just drop support for activex becuase loads of websites use it e.g. internet banking sites (that said a lot of theese are incompatible with the new security architecture and hence don't work.)

Its a windows update becuase IE is part of windows, IE7 is in essence a more feature-full version of IE6 but with better security - why not have it as a critcal update (you can choose not to install it)? Firefox also has an update feature. The other advanatge of a critical update is that it will force web sites to fix their systems to work properly with the new security archiecture so that for thoose of us that rely on IE for certain sites will have the minimum possible period of time with lost functionality.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 09:22   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
Its a windows update becuase IE is part of windows, IE7 is in essence a more feature-full version of IE6 but with better security - why not have it as a critcal update (you can choose not to install it)? Firefox also has an update feature. The other advanatge of a critical update is that it will force web sites to fix their systems to work properly with the new security archiecture so that for thoose of us that rely on IE for certain sites will have the minimum possible period of time with lost functionality.
You missed my point.
IE is not something which should have been part of the operating system in the first place. it was tied together for political, not technical reasons and we all have to suffer the consequences of these actions today.
I have no problem with updates for the sake of security, i do have a problem with bundling and claiming it as part of an operating system when it is quite clearly a seperate application.
As a seperate application - it would have to rely on its own merits as to how successful it is and not the success of the operating system it was tied into.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 10:05   #14
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
I would not call it a terrible technology, quite contrary, it is quite helpful in certain applications (as it replaced the COM architecture from the windows stoneage). I do, however, agree if you consider it as misplaced in an internet browser to allow activex controls in webpages. The technology was not designed for that.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 12:54   #15
notsure
[TGV] Wots It

notsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to beholdnotsure is a splendid one to behold

Here's what Richard Brodie, had to say about IE 7 in a recent blog entry.

FYI Richard was the author of MS Word 1.0 (and Microsoft Employee #77)...so is definitely not anti-MS.

Quote:

Being a guy who bleeds Microsoft blue, I faithfully downloaded Internet Explorer 7 when notified it was available by Windows Update. I was excited to try out the tabbed browsing that users of alternative browsers are always crowing about. I still can’t see much advantage to it other than speed, and the implementation by Microsoft has a couple very poor design decisions. Now I need to train myself to close tabs in two different ways: the X on the tab for all but the last one, and the X on the window to close the browser itself if I am done with the last tab. It’s just silly for there to be no X on the last tab; it should bring you back to a blank page or the home page as you opt.

The second problem is there doesn’t seem to be any way to get all new pages to display in a tab by default. Why on earth would you want it do default to a whole new browser window once you have these tabs? And if you use the nifty little arrow on the Favorites menu to open a new tab, it takes three clicks (plus the click to drop down the favorites menu) to actually see the new page! As Bill used to whine in design-review meetings, “Doesn’t anybody actually try to use this thing?” I guess it’s unreasonable to expect such a megacorporation to maintain what Charles Simonyi used to call “the craftsman’s fine hand” but come on! This is the flagship product! Guys, just call me any time and I’ll make your design decisions for you at only double my usual rate.
notsure
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 14:55   #16
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
You missed my point.
IE is not something which should have been part of the operating system in the first place. it was tied together for political, not technical reasons and we all have to suffer the consequences of these actions today.
I have no problem with updates for the sake of security, i do have a problem with bundling and claiming it as part of an operating system when it is quite clearly a seperate application.
As a seperate application - it would have to rely on its own merits as to how successful it is and not the success of the operating system it was tied into.
So the average IT ignorant user has to go out again and buy (?) an additional application to browse the internet?
Or he could just start the browser delivered with the OS and download the browser of his choice... oh wait...

Computer systems and software are already complicated enough, don't make it even more difficult for the average user.
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 15:08   #17
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entium
So the average IT ignorant user has to go out again and buy (?) an additional application to browse the internet?
Or he could just start the browser delivered with the OS and download the browser of his choice... oh wait...

Computer systems and software are already complicated enough, don't make it even more difficult for the average user.
How is the ability to remove an unwanted piece of software making things 'more difficult for the average user'?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 15:47   #18
Entium

Entium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud ofEntium has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
How is the ability to remove an unwanted piece of software making things 'more difficult for the average user'?
So the problem is not that IE is unwantedly installed together with the operating system, but that it is not uninstallable (as opposed to installed, but not being used)?
Entium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 15:57   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Uninstalling IE can cause... problems.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 16:13   #20
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entium
So the problem is not that IE is unwantedly installed together with the operating system, but that it is not uninstallable (as opposed to installed, but not being used)?
they are both problems but the second one is FAR bigger as even if you are a pro you cannot remove IE without there being considerable problems. this is the point, you are FORCED to have IE on your PC whether you wish to or not. By building it into the OS it reduces the competitiveness of browsers (even if they were provided on the Windows Disk) simply as you cannot get rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Uninstalling IE can cause... problems.
Exactly, because it has been built into the OS. What are they going to do next, bind Media Player to the core?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 16:44   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was backing you up!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 16:48   #22
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
I was backing you up!
You can see where I'd get confused.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 16:51   #23
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I thought ActiveX was a "bad thing" because it's possible to manipulate ActiveX controls to implant viruses on your machine.

I doubt I'll move over to IE7. The only real gripe I have with firefox is its memory utilisation, but even that doesn't seem as bad as people claim. I never run out of memory anyway. Besides, firefox has its javascript console, which I find vital for debugging javascript, and the various plugins I have installed.

As far as visual appeal goes, I hated the new firefox theme at first. But now I'm used to it, and even like it. I'm sure the same thing will happen with IE's theme.

The only reason I'm "pro-firefox" and "anti-IE" is because IE seems to flaunt standards to a far greater extent than firefox does. That important to me because I hate it when I have a website that's standard compliant in firefox but as soon as I test it in IE it's all ****ed up. I'm thinking the advanced selectors in CSS2 here.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 17:59   #24
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've used IE7 in the labs, but put off using it on my machine at home til it's a bit more mature. Here is my opinion:

I like the UI. I have always hate hate hated that Firefox hides the tab bar by default until you have 2 or more tabs open, without providing a button to open a new tab easily. Sure, there's a keyboard shortcut and you can rightclick links and open them in a new tab etc, but most of Microsoft's customers won't know how or want to have to do that, hence it's a good design choice.

Regarding the aesthetics, they're clearly designed to fit in with Vista not XP. Tough shit. You can't really expect a company not to design a new product to look its best on the latest systems.

The big "tiled thumbnails" view of all open tabs is nifty. I like it.

I like that the menubar can hide to save space.

I like that the search can be altered (the ones in the labs are all set to google anyway).

I like that the browser reset really does reset and is extremely effective at removing spyware toolbars etc.

I don't like that it crashed within 30 minutes of me using it for the first time. However, as with most new software I assume there are bugs to be worked out. Firefox is far from innocent on this front, before you all start.

I've not come across the "back history on the forward button" thing because I've not tried to access it yet, but I'll definately have a look when I'm next in the labs. If that's true it really is a stupid piece of HCI design. If Vista works that way too I'll be concerned to say the least.

Overall it's an improvement over IE6, and quite a substantial one at that.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 18:15   #25
Phil^
Insomniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
I like the UI. I have always hate hate hated that Firefox hides the tab bar by default until you have 2 or more tabs open, without providing a button to open a new tab easily.
You can middle click in both IE7 and Firefox to open in a new tab btw. Dunno about opera but i presume its the same there too
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 19:03   #26
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I like the UI. I have always hate hate hated that Firefox hides the tab bar by default until you have 2 or more tabs open, without providing a button to open a new tab easily. Sure, there's a keyboard shortcut and you can rightclick links and open them in a new tab etc, but most of Microsoft's customers won't know how or want to have to do that, hence it's a good design choice.
Just right click on the toolbar and choose 'customise', then drag the new tab button onto the menubar. It's really not that hard.

Mouse gestures mean that I don't use it anyway (they are the absolute nuts).

Quote:
Overall it's an improvement over IE6, and quite a substantial one at that.
That's not particularly difficult though.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 19:44   #27
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

In all honesty, I've not really had a reason to try out IE7 yet, since between Opera and Firefox I never even fire up IE anymore; Firefox only occasionally if there's a site with one of those "if it isn't IE or Netscape, do nothing" scripts.

So, as much as I enjoy the name-dropping, I'm afraid I can't really give any valuable input on it right now. From what I've heard, it definitely incorporates some of the good features of browsers like Opera and Firefox, but it's still a long way from being an equal to either. I may download it later and see if I can install it without it giving me hassle about a non-official WinXP installation on this machine.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 19:50   #28
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I may download it later and see if I can install it without it giving me hassle about a non-official WinXP installation on this machine.
you'll need a genuine advantage patch or similar if you haven't got one already (or find a modified IE7 that has the check removed)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 19:53   #29
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I like the button that gives an overview of all the tabs. Other than that firefox beats it in all aspects I know/care about.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 20:00   #30
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
Just right click on the toolbar and choose 'customise', then drag the new tab button onto the menubar. It's really not that hard.

Mouse gestures mean that I don't use it anyway (they are the absolute nuts).

That's not particularly difficult though.
That's really not the point though.
You don't design general purpose software for the educated minority, you design it assuming the user has no prior knowledge of computing terminology.

Stop and ask yourself if your mother or your uncle would think it was obvious to right click on a section of the screen that doesn't look like a button (assuming they know what a right click is) and then drag an icon to an area of the screen which, again, doesn't immediately look like something you can interact with.

Stop and ask yourself how frequently Microsoft support are going to have to deal with questions about how to make this magical tabbed browsing thing work.

Offset that against adding a simple "new tab" button by default. No contest really, is it. The fact that I never had the patience to find out how to make Firefox work that way pretty much demonstrates what I'm talking about, seeing as I'll often go out of my way to change software to work the way I want it to.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 21:21   #31
All Systems Go

I like the way in Firefox 2.0 you don't have to type 'www.' which is making me lazy but I'm I'll be damned if I'm gonna stop doing it.

I don't know if you could do this before so it might be 'old' but I really couldn't care less.
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 22:19   #32
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
this is the ONLY piece of useful computer information i have ever had and probably ever will have, so despite the fact that you now use a browser that will render it useless i am going to state it anyway.

when you enter a URL, if you just enter the middle bit i.e. "planetarion", instead of "www.planetarion.com", and then press ctrl+enter it adds on the www. and the .com bit all by itself.

Jesus H Christ he's right!
Unread 1 Dec 2006, 23:02   #33
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hasn't that been in IE for years?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2006, 00:20   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
(keep it simple, stupid)
Fair enough - and it may well be the case that in Firefox 2.0, it's automatically there on the menubar. I'm not going to uninstall this repeatedly-upgraded and customised version just to find out - way too much effort for someone as lazy as me.

As with most open-source software, it gets easier to use as it matures - just look at the difference between Firefox 0.9 and Firefox 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Hasn't that been in IE for years?
Yeah.