User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 2 Jun 2008, 16:31   #1
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough
Slave ships, what do you think?

ok the initial idea of having a new race with the ability of slave ships has been scrapped instead i propose this. each race has its own slave ship which is used to capture a planets population this is how it would work.

the planet would need to research all 3 ship classes before they could produce the slave ship the same as a structure killer.

each races ship would differ in cost and effect for example:

ter slave ship: cost metal 1000, crystal 800, eonium 800 and can steal 2% of a planets population per ship successfully landing, capped at 25% max per landing tick for all races

Xan slave ship: cost metal 200, crystal 200, eonium 200 and can steal 0.5% per ship succesfully landing.

or prehaps reduce the ammount stolen as Xan would only need 50 ships to land to cap 25%

the alternate is to have a ship steal x ammount of population as Makhil stated and not work on a % basis

for example: terran slave ship costs metal 1200, crystal 1000, eonium 1000 and can steal 100 population per ship.

the current population is set at random growth this would need to change with a formula for growth example:

formula for population growth example: 1% of value 900,000 = 9000 + roid size 600 = 9600, 0.5% of population size 100,000 = 500 500+9600 = 10100 growth per tick.

with this population stolen either working on the % basis or ammount basis, there are a number of avenues they can go down.

option (a) the population captured contributes to the bonus % of a planet and allows it to exceed its 100% maximum

example: based on the formula scenario. 1% raise in bonus of eaither mining, research, construction, would require 10,000 population which would die upon use NOTE population at a minimum of 10,000 base population that cannot be used, therefore taking into account the scenario calculation above based on option a) the user would be able to raise one of the selected bonuses by 1% per tick or spend his saved population for a 9% raise in the chosen field for 1 tick only.

option (b) trade in population for research or construction points (upto the user) or resources

example: to raise the output of research, construction by 10% would require the tade in of 100,000 population or trade in for resources this would work on each 1 population = one of each resource, 100,000 population = 100,000 of each resource

option (c) milestone governemnts for ammount of population example:

Dictatorship: 15000 required = 2% mining bonus, 10% higher alert, research 5% lower, construction 5% higher

Feudalism: 30000 required
Unionship: 50000 required
Unification: 80000 required
Republic: 100000 required
Democracy: 200000 required

the bonuses would progress or degress depending on government and made changeable at any point in the game.

this could potentially open many new avenues, such as new scan type (to scan a planet on its population ammount) new research branch, new ship class and targeting (targets with low asteroids would be targeted on their population size) a whole new type of game play and much more.

i personaly like option (a) as it has the most potential and realism what do you guys think?
hairypalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 18:54   #2
hairypalms

hairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the roughhairypalms is a jewel in the rough
Re: Slave ships, what do you think?

if anyone has views or ideas to better this or state any problems plz post i will do a summary at the end of the week thnxs
Unread 3 Jun 2008, 11:45   #3
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

I only read the first 2 paragrpahs before thinking "population hasn't even been properly implemented by PA team yet" (bearing in mind i read the rest too).

Seems to me like the population feature and contribution would have to be in effect in the game before any avenues where explored with regards to its implementation.

That said the theory looks good, but i'm assuming the init on a population stealing ship would be rather high, as lets face it...at the end of the day its a troop carrier. would sit alongside SK's and may even be frowned upon.

But good basis for a decent developement i guess

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 13:58   #4
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
Seems to me like the population feature and contribution would have to be in effect in the game before any avenues where explored with regards to its implementation.
exactly

"It´s not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 19:49   #5
hairypalms

Quote:
Originally Posted by [DW]Entropy
wouldnt these new concepts set the basis for development of population?
i think you need to re read the thread and look at just how the feature could be introduced step by step starting with the formula for a planets population growth.
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 20:21   #6
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairypalms
wouldnt these new concepts set the basis for development of population?
i think you need to re read the thread and look at just how the feature could be introduced step by step starting with the formula for a planets population growth.
i was basing my statement on what appocomaster said a few rounds ago about the population being an ongoing development. So using this as a basis for a development could hinder any development or planning already in effect

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2008, 23:20   #7
hairypalms

when i brought this to Appocomasters attention he did not make me aware of anything that might hinder any development they had made
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 00:44   #8
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

it doesn't "hinder" the development cause allowing to steal/kill etc population was always the idea.
however for there to be a reason to steal/kill the population there has to be a use for them as a count, and for us to be able to do that we need a growth formula that will support it etc.

it has just had to take a backseat for a while because of other things needing sorting. however we need to get the growth and usage sorted well before we can allow for stealing, might not even be that we can do those two in the same round either cause having something being dependent on population count and then the formula doesn't work as predicted (and tested), would be rather bad.
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 08:50   #9
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
it doesn't "hinder" the development cause allowing to steal/kill etc population was always the idea.
however for there to be a reason to steal/kill the population there has to be a use for them as a count, and for us to be able to do that we need a growth formula that will support it etc.

it has just had to take a backseat for a while because of other things needing sorting. however we need to get the growth and usage sorted well before we can allow for stealing, might not even be that we can do those two in the same round either cause having something being dependent on population count and then the formula doesn't work as predicted (and tested), would be rather bad.
what else has been "sorted" the last 2-3 years?

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2008, 13:21   #10
hairypalms

would it be possible to get any iformation on the develoments so far?
Unread 9 Jun 2008, 02:08   #11
Cardinal

Cardinal is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice idea, but as i've learnt from being a suggestion-creating-wizard for countless online games they're rarely implemented (or they are, just not in the forseeable future).

I suggest the Population, when it goes over 100% due to stolen slaves - slowly decreases until it reaches 100% again. Different governments can put in place certain measures to either increase the lives of the slaves or make them work until their fingers bleed . Therefore if you choose to become a slave-capturing pirate of the galaxies - you'll have to keep kidnapping folk to keep your slave population up - and therefore your productivity/research/mining/construction/security bonuses.
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2008, 01:51   #12
Jamie_Omac
Omac

Jamie_Omac has a spectacular aura aboutJamie_Omac has a spectacular aura about

Hi hairypalms, thanks for pointing this to me in the survey. As you can all imagine, there's a lot of different areas in which the game go, but at the moment we're working on improving what we have to the best it can be before we go ahead and make major changes.

But it's a good idea, population is just a number in the game, and there are probably a million ways we can use it, but it certainly is something i've thought about too.

Slave ships though, maybe not in that form but I get the idea of what you are getting at as ie, as you can nick astroids, steal ships, destroy ships, and destroy buildings, you should be able to do something which will impact the population.

Lots of food for thought anyway, and thanks to you and all the rest of you who've filled in the survey, there have been lots of really good suggestions from the community in addition to all the huge amount of ideas that have been posted on the forum.

I'm glad to be working with a game with such a passionate and dedicated fanbase, and hopefully you'll swing behind us in getting new players into the game, or getting old players to give it a go again now that there is someone at the helm.

Jamie
Jamie_Omac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2008, 19:36   #13
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
what else has been "sorted" the last 2-3 years?
we have a new (started from scratch) battle engine
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2008, 19:48   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A new battle engine really is what this game needed all along.

People, listen up! The salvation of Planetarion is here! We have a new combat engine! Cake for all!
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Aug 2008, 14:43   #15
hairypalms

YaY! someone cares!