User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 6 Oct 2004, 21:40   #1
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
advice on picking a race

I want to play inactively, I'm thinking Xan because last round they had good deterent fleets, plus good/decent attacking ships. Have stats changed too much for Xandathrii to be like that again?

Edit: oh yeah, and who is good for covert opping? I basically want to spend the round whoring XP by hitting larger planets at awkward times and covert opping people to be a pest.

PS. Anyone point me to the best description of how XP works? In particular how is it computed in an attack (per fleet, per attacking value vs defending value, per attacking value vs defending planet's value, per phase of moon squared?) And what is the point at which the formula caps (2x, 3x etc?)

Last edited by at0mic.c0w; 7 Oct 2004 at 19:35.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Oct 2004, 23:11   #2
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future
Re: i r stoopid n00b, hlp mee pck rase

try the manual
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 00:15   #3
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

regarding the xp, last round, it was something like, 10 xp points for every roid you cap off a planet same value as you, and 5 xp pts for every roid you cap of a planet 1/2 value as you, etcetc.

go zikonian as a race choice btw, you`ll get roided in the end for sure by mass-cr or mass-bs though. i expect to see much anti-fr/fi about for xands to be any sort of 'xp growth abuse' race tbh.
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 08:21   #4
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ryzekiel_
regarding the xp, last round, it was something like, 10 xp points for every roid you cap off a planet same value as you, and 5 xp pts for every roid you cap of a planet 1/2 value as you, etcetc.
Ahh. At what point do they cap it?

Quote:
go zikonian as a race choice btw, you`ll get roided in the end for sure by mass-cr or mass-bs though. i expect to see much anti-fr/fi about for xands to be any sort of 'xp growth abuse' race tbh.
Is there a thread with advantages/disadvantages of each race, preferably not the crap that shows up on PD, but a decent thread with actual good players discussing it? Possibly on your alliance's private forum.

Last edited by at0mic.c0w; 7 Oct 2004 at 19:31.
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 16:23   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Ahh. At what point do they cap it?
20 xp pts per roid is maximum you can earn*

Quote:
Is there a thread with advantages/disadvantages of each race, preferably not the crap that shows up on PD, but a decent thread with actual good players discussing it? Possibly on your alliance's private forum.
None on pa forums probably, and id presume the answer to the other possibility is rather confidential.
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 18:50   #6
AzureWrath
Evil has returned

AzureWrath is an unknown quantity at this point

I assumed Jester was joking :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyButcher
LCH is too far away, now they are the same roid amout as 1up
AzureWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 22:08   #7
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Re: advice on picking a race

You assumed wrong. Anyway, Strategy is way too dead lately. I intend to run the ship stats through my usual analysis crap, but I dunno if I'll have time to do that before the round actually starts. Plus I haven't had a planet in well over a year, so I actually am a newbie when it comes to the current form of PA.

jerome`: Am I correct in assuming that 20xp per roid is for attacking someone with value at 4x own?

Also, at0mic.c0w is an evil fascist. Much love *hug*
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 22:15   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

The formula is:
XP gained = (roids^1,5)*target_value/your_value
where target_value/your_value is maximized at 2
So if you steal 100 roids from someone twice your size you gain 100^1,5*2=2000 XP = 20 XP/roid
score=60*Xp+value, so 2k XP=120k score.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2004, 22:23   #9
jerome

Quote:
jerome`: Am I correct in assuming that 20xp per roid is for attacking someone with value at 4x own?
nah, 2x.
1/2 value = 5xp per roid
1/1 value = 10xp per roid
2/1 value = 20xp per roid, etc.

(as gerbie stated in his formulae)
Unread 8 Oct 2004, 06:20   #10
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Ah, that makes sense. How is XP calculated for covert opping?
Unread 8 Oct 2004, 10:05   #11
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve

By how much the planet whine about it. :P
Unread 9 Oct 2004, 12:33   #12
Gerbie
pe0n

It's a fixed amount of Xp per mission, value does not influence this, the amount is different for different missions.
Unread 9 Oct 2004, 14:16   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a difference on the races how well they do cov-op?
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2004, 14:26   #14
Gerbie
pe0n

http://jpaweb01.planetarion.com/manu...0334461&page=2 <-- yes
Unread 9 Oct 2004, 23:07   #15
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

so Zik or Cath then.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 01:47   #16
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
It's a fixed amount of Xp per mission, value does not influence this, the amount is different for different missions.
What does influence this? And if the amount is different from mission to mission then surely it can't be fixed?
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 02:20   #17
TheBerk
dazed and confused

TheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant futureTheBerk has a brilliant future

from a person that questions alliance HC experience, to then ask crap questions about the round and races....

i really expected better..

wtf are you playing at jester?
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 08:25   #18
jerome

Alliance organization is still the same. Experience from the "old days", will be more than enough to get you by, however the game itself has changed considerably.

Do you not understand the difference ?

and what is so "wrong" at asking questions? learning the game is bad now?
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 10:40   #19
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBerk
from a person that questions alliance HC experience, to then ask crap questions about the round and races....
URL please? Edit: Oh, you're from the ToF thread. I wasn't questioning your HC's experience, I was asking them what they considered experienced. I'm looking for an alliance that's doing reasonably well with actual new people, and not just people who've been around for ages.

Quote:
i really expected better..
That's nice dear, go be arrogant somewhere else.

Quote:
wtf are you playing at jester?
I haven't played in a while, I didn't see any threads about this on Strat already. I figured others would benefit from this type of thread as well. The general level of newbie help in the PA community is pretty crap, but I figured I'd get some proper replies. I've chosen race based in part on what I've read here, in part on a quick look at the stats and partly on discussions with my galmates.

Fact is that I haven't followed the ingame structure too closely since round 9.5, when I last had a planet. I've been keeping up on developments that directly affected the ways an alliance would play, but individual planet stuff didn't interest me.

I'm sorry if that doesn't conform to you wonderfully high standards of behavior.
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 17:06   #20
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

oh NOW you want to talk about stats?!?!?!

pfffffft!

(run your calcs, send me the info, I'll write up some little spiel and pm it back)

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 19:30   #21
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

I'm a proponent of open discussions, so I'll run them and post here.
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 22:58   #22
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

I'm hearing some talk of each race having a specific prey. Something about Zik being designed to hit Xan, Xan to hit something, something to hit something else, and something else to hit Zik.

If so, I might want to be something else, as there will be plenty of Zik to hit. Plus the somethings will all be busy getting owned by Xan.
Unread 10 Oct 2004, 23:57   #23
Gerbie
pe0n

Terran hit Cath, Cath hit Zik, Zik hit Xan, Xan hit Terran.
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 00:10   #24
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Thanks. Cath definitely seems tempting now. But damn EMP sucks.

Last edited by Jester; 11 Oct 2004 at 00:28.
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 00:12   #25
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

cath can also hit xan quite successfully with roach/scorp/cr-pod with tula against expected def and could also add guardians to kill the FR as well as block

edit: since they have such shite anti DE (defender shooting after drake) you need to make sure you can get anti DE def from ally/gal

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 00:30   #26
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

What's really annoying me about Zik atm is that they don't have eta 7 stuff that hit DE, forcing one to go for BS later which is crap.
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 03:52   #27
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Is it posible to build anything to better ones chances of succes? (cov-oping wise)
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 06:30   #28
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

Zik can hit Terran with a mixture of Clipper/BS but in the end the Zik BS are just the end all to any race (save Cath with lots of BW) when it comes to attacking. They can seriously rip through things and hurt races (especially with Rogues, Cutlass and Corsair(at times with this ship)).
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 06:48   #29
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Not aside from setting your engineers to first priority on stealth (which regenerates your stealth rating more quickly.)
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 07:10   #30
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not aside from setting your engineers to first priority on stealth (which regenerates your stealth rating more quickly.)
having 30% security centres and 1st eng on security will make you invincible to covert ops, cant remember if sec centres affect stealth or just alert thou

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 11 Oct 2004, 08:00   #31
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
having 30% security centres and 1st eng on security will make you invincible to covert ops, cant remember if sec centres affect stealth or just alert thou
According to the manual it's just alert level.
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 08:49   #32
Stifler

thought so but wasnt 100%

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Unread 11 Oct 2004, 09:37   #33
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nology
Zik can hit Terran with a mixture of Clipper/BS but in the end the Zik BS are just the end all to any race (save Cath with lots of BW) when it comes to attacking. They can seriously rip through things and hurt races (especially with Rogues, Cutlass and Corsair(at times with this ship)).
Max eta attack though, and there are going to be plenty of DE targetting around to handle those pesky Terrans.
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 16:11   #34
jerome

without going into too much detail;
terr can roid cath+terr
caths can roid xands+zik
xand can roid terr+outflak zik/cath pre-rogs/guards
ziks can roid xands+terr
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 17:21   #35
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Cat CR also good against cat and ZIk since the anti cr ships are only emp / steal, so it's just outflaking, and adding guardians again is only emped / subbed by the two races, and stops most prevelant cr / bs defence that being FR (excvepting the widows of course).

Appart from the fact (as you rightly point out) that emp blows, cat have now (since changes) some really nice combos, but until they get BS they're gonna die to FI attacks horribly, which means that both xan, and zik (well, mebbe tulas would hold off the co pods...) get a free reign on them early

However, here's a third option...

Terran have a very nice FR fleet against top heavy players, VERY nice infact with the init firing before all worries, save emp or stealing (ie not a worry since none of the FR hit fr )
Infact although the dragoon does seem to be mega hard, there's a good case for building nothing but FI FR and DE with the terrans. which means you have 2 nice roiding fleets and one ally def fleet (harpies, pld ship well it was until they robbed it's init) / self defence. harpies may fire later, but if they're all you have home, then against xan it comes down to them versus sents numbers, with the advantage you are firing at the pods (and the disadvantage you're not firing at the sents). basically you can muller 3 out of 4 (you can hit other terrans too - go for those with lowish drake numbers with your FR - ) and are wide open to xan. So it depends on how many people are going to go xan....

Unread 11 Oct 2004, 17:30   #36
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Still really liking the improved xan cloaking now (improved to me, since I'm new to pax)

Unread 11 Oct 2004, 19:04   #37
jerome

spiders are wonderful because of their init. Slightly bad how they are absolutely gobshit in terms of efficiency though *g*
Unread 11 Oct 2004, 19:39   #38
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
until they get BS they're gonna die to FI attacks horribly, which means that both xan, and zik (well, mebbe tulas would hold off the co pods...)
CR and BS are same research/construction now. And can be had pretty damn early by Cath.
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 19:34   #39
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

But they're still so expensive it's gonna be awhile before significant numbers of them ever show up. Unless you concentrate on them to the detriment of other ships.

Melesse
Unread 12 Oct 2004, 20:19   #40
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melesse
But they're still so expensive it's gonna be awhile before significant numbers of them ever show up. Unless you concentrate on them to the detriment of other ships.

Melesse
Seen this rounds shipcosts? About 40% of last round. Numbers will be high, but so will the fighters then ofc, same costs/roid roughly. But battlereports will look nicer, 2 or 3x as much losses in numbers this round
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Oct 2004, 03:11   #41
Melesse
The Nephilim

Melesse is an unknown quantity at this point

I reiterate - But they're still so expensive it's gonna be awhile before significant numbers of them ever show up. Instead of tick 500, it'll be tick 400...even longer for the average player. Plenty of time to take lots and lots of roids from them. For the people in the top couple hundred, yea, it'll be pretty fast, but that's not the majority.

Melesse
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 02:25   #42
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

But that's just like every other round - there are strategies and fleets that can be executed by extremely active and/or well connected players that would be disasterous for even the largely active player. Similarly, fleets that work well for inactive players would not be suitable for active players. There is, and except in R4 with Spids/Pods/Phoenix, there has never been one ultimate fleet for everyone who plays this game.

So going Cathaar with Battleships will work for a select group of players. If you are not very well connected and/or extremely active, i would strongly suggest not using them. If you are active and connected, then i dont see what the problem is - those players tend to do very well regardless
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2004, 19:59   #43
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

the neat thing about CR and BS which is being missed, is that previously eta was a problem... now with the anti cr bs being all FR DE and above the eta is still only a -1 tick window for defence, instead of -2 as with the old style PA CO ships which could hit CR (or sents or whatever). Hence whilst CR BS fleets seem to old school players (like me) at first glance just a bad idea on principal, they're no different in actuallity from an FR or a DE fleet in terms of time for defence to react.

Of course FI CO pods, go from -1 to 0 which is a complete bitch, defence takes as long as attack, (not withstanding the alliance -1) provided you attack in a short range. Hence until the later game stages when all close targets are exhausted, xan and zik have a huge advantage on the eta front, and it is making zik VERY tempting as they have a limited end game strat too with the huge BS fleets (tho tbh I'd stick to just raping xan, cutlass thief combo looks just dangerous, the cutlass working TWICE, once in drawing vsh fire away from the pods, then again in using the vsh to beat up on either silly sents hanging around, or more likely on beetle defence. Of course if they're daft enough to leave pulsars there... then it's goodbye to the pegs and more likely lancers that might hang around - if zik get too good xan are going to have to waste score on perfectly useless lancers just to act as personal zik deterrants, which will make their roiding fleets all the weaker)

now if zik and xan get the flying start because of the eta advantage then zik are going to have an abundant source of targets, and if xan get pummled, then terran have no real opposition.

So there you go, i'd expect the top 10 to be mostly terran and zik, but I;m sure just due to depth of numbers there'll be some xan in there.....

Unread 16 Oct 2004, 04:36   #44
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifler
cath can also hit xan quite successfully with roach/scorp/cr-pod with tula against expected def and could also add guardians to kill the FR as well as block
Well, as always Cathaar can get attacked by anyone with enough ships to shake up the EMP weapons, so in a way Caths are a free-for-all .

So yeah, Xans can hit smaller caths right back. heh
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2004, 12:23   #45
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all

i thought it was 13% sec centres, not 30%??
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Oct 2004, 13:46   #46
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

Security Centre
These Security Facilities help against hostile Covert Operations, raising your normal alert level. This is achieved through having 30% of your buildings as Security Centres.
Total immunity from covert operations is possible with 30% of your buildings as security centres and engineering priority 1 as Security

I believe this was already the case in R11.
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote