User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Closed Thread
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 12:43   #1
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Some way of inferring what ingal defense is

Currently it's possible, and in my opinion too easy, to use in-galaxy fleets to scare off attackers. As long as you don't have your N-type ship obviously out on a newsscan, it's possible to use multiple fleets to reuse the same ship. For example, if 2 planets in a galaxy get FI incoming, a player with a good amount of Rogues can cover both ingalaxy with the same fleet. Neither attacker can risk landing, because even if only one of them takes the losses it's not worthwhile.

This means that you must either catch all ingalaxy defenders offline, with their fleets out, or attack with waves. Obviously the former is down to luck, and the two latter only large alliances have the resources to manage.

What I want is not a fool proof 'military scan', but some way of inferring what the ingal defense is. And I don't mean ETA differences on shiptypes ingal.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 12:57   #2
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Some way of inferring what ingal defense is

Hmmm interesting idea don't know whether i like it or not because the advantages on both are pretty good.
A lot of ppl use fake defence nowadays and its a pain if you are attacking but a godsend if defending.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 18:07   #3
Thermodynamics
Powering your life...

Thermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to beholdThermodynamics is a splendid one to behold

I already feel that the fleet scan is too powerful- it undercuts a lot of the tactical oppurtunities, judging from eta, it is possible to get a reasonable inkiling of what going on. I can see the potential for the scans, but i think it is already difficult ebough to cover a gal mate with "fake defence" at 2AM when there are only a few of us online to do so.
Unread 6 Dec 2004, 23:34   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a gamble now and then. Fake def is fun.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 11:24   #5
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics
I already feel that the fleet scan is too powerful- it undercuts a lot of the tactical oppurtunities, judging from eta, it is possible to get a reasonable inkiling of what going on.
Not for ingal fleets. All that was asked for was a similar way of getting an idea about ingal def.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 10:06   #6
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: [Discuss] Some way of inferring what ingal defense is

Don't like the idea
I like how it is now
besides fake Defense doesn't really work cuz if your the attacker you just jpg scan them 20 secs before the tick and then recall if their still on their way ... most fake defense senders will already have recalled ...
or open the missions page in the background and get ready to hit recall, then scan with a jpg probe about 7secs before tick and do the same thing, recall if their still on their way, or continue if the target has no defence.
Get it? so if you got defence, go through to about 20secs before you recall your attack incase they are fake def ...
What is this, a mentoring forum?

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 16:44   #7
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Why should fake defense recall at all? Fake defense usually refers to sending ships that look like serious def but are something different that won't really hurt the attacker (because serious def was not available at the time). Naturally, if you fake defense you choose ships that won't get damaged if the attacker doesn't fall for it and lands.
Unread 18 Dec 2004, 21:14   #8
Vencedor

Vencedor has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Or you send a lot more than just ships that won't be hurt to try and scare the attacker, also it's not always possible to send even ships that won't be damaged.

2: Kane of Earth II 3: Caution of The Death Drop!
4: Gencore of Tyrian 5: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian^
6: Gencore of ^Tyrian II^ 7: Super Carrot of ^Tyrian II^
8: Caution of the Death Drop - From round 3 9b: SEE R3
9: Vencedor of todos 9.5: . = Kithal = . |_ ö v Ê r . of . Ë ¦ ÿ $ é . = Jadoor = .
10: Yalvon of Hunderi 11: Kithal of Jadoor
12: Vencedor of Todos 12 Speed#1: I cant think of a name for this rnd (rank 125)
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 03:24   #9
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

I personally don't think that this in itself is currently a major problem. I think it is part of a much wider problem, which is defence is simply too easy. This round has been very defensive, landing an attack is rare, most people in big alliances have gone for weeks without caping a roid, even when attacking every day. I think this is something that needs addressing, and I think the in-gal issue is a minor part of that, if anything.
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 12:07   #10
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

A way to solve it would be ingal bs/cr = eta 7, de/fr eta 6, co/fi eta 5. No def must be able to be snet after eta 5, as it currently is, as that would make activity more important again. Knowing u can go out at eta 4 is good.

I however don't want the ingal def system changed, and the above is just a possible solution should u all decide to change it.
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 20:09   #11
Stals
Retired

Stals is an unknown quantity at this point

making different ETA's ingal would work, but then again a gal should be able to help a galmate, ppl still get roids so I dont see why this is a big problem..
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
WC2 TiG's Terriffic Tribe (winner galaxy!)
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R12 1uP MO (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 20:19   #12
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashar
most people in big alliances have gone for weeks without caping a roid, even when attacking every day
Is i really that bad? I seem to have got roids about every 3rd day, but often from 2 targets in one night too. And i'm Xan, which to me does not seem like the best attack race this round. So imo your view is over-pessimistic, but maybe i was more lucky than the average guy.
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 21:05   #13
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about

16 of the top100 planets capped roids today, and 4 of them lost roids. That's quite low compared to other rounds. Though the nearing end of the round scares ppl to land too, ofcourse. I admit thats not too hectic, but if this day is an average day, it would mean a top100 planet caps roids every 6/7 days roughly. Dependable on luck, race and alliance ofcourse

I think Bashar is slightly excaggerating, unless he knows a lot of very unlucky players
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 ¤ | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6 ¤
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
Unread 19 Dec 2004, 21:34   #14
SOL

SOL is on a distinguished road

oh common ya moaning about people sending fake def?!?!

what if i sent a fleet to attack you and make out its frigs when its fi its just the same thing, fake def is a pain but a fun part of the game
Unread 20 Dec 2004, 14:08   #15
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

Well, i think this is where tactic comes, i attacked soem one with frigates, he had about 8k friendlies going to him, i scanned all of them and checked waht ships do they have, some1 had some drakes, which my chimeras can crush, some1 had about 3k arrowheads and 300 Broadswords, so i just took the chance and kept on my attack, and whooo, he was sending Vassharraks, and i got some big roidZZZZZZZ .
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 23:28   #16
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
A way to solve it would be ingal bs/cr = eta 7, de/fr eta 6, co/fi eta 5. No def must be able to be snet after eta 5, as it currently is, as that would make activity more important again. Knowing u can go out at eta 4 is good.

I however don't want the ingal def system changed, and the above is just a possible solution should u all decide to change it.

Different eta's wouldnt really solve the problem all u have to do is put one BS ship in a fleet of 699 fi, and it will look like the 699 Bs and 1fi u sent elsewhere.

Tho the eta thing would be ok, if it was seen late, then fake def would be obvious if it was launched at the incorrect ETA.
Unread 30 Dec 2004, 20:15   #17
x-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Takion Champion

x-dANGEr is infamous around these parts

Wouldn't this reduce the imortance of JGPs, thsi way, you can just make a news scan.
Unread 27 Jan 2005, 15:23   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think defence can be more inferable through better stats design, having said that we don;t want it to be perfectly inferable - declined

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Closed Thread