User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 12 Nov 2004, 04:06   #1
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
So, Broadband

i might finally be getting Broadband at long last. so what i need to know is which Broadband provider is best for what i need? my requirements are:
1Mbps connection
less than £25 a month
NO ****ING USAGE ALLOWANCES (priority)
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 04:38   #2
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: So, Broadband

Good service for under £25 is gonna be difficult

DONT USE BULLDOG BROADBAND, they ****ing suck!

If you can stretch to £35 a month then I would recommend Nildram's 1meg ADSL
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 04:39   #3
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i believe central point (www.cpbb.co.uk) do what you want, but they're 26. they don't have a news server tho, but this has never struck me as a world ending problem.

http://www.adslguide.org/isps/summarylist.asp may be of use

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 04:40   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i've only heard good things bout bulldog, bad experience pyro?

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 05:00   #5
JamMak
Cynical Optimist

JamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud ofJamMak has much to be proud of

If you can get BlueYonder:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbucks
blueyonder broadband 1Mb
The standard service will increase in speed from 750Kb to 1Mb and still cost £25 per month
Quote:
Blueyonder: Even Faster
"Our engineers will start upgrading the blueyonder network from early December, and work will be completed region by region over December and January."
So I don't know whether this suits you or not, but blueyonder are pretty ace to be fair. And it's unlimited usage
JamMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 08:16   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I do tech support for Blueyonder.

Telewest are a bit shit as a company, but 4mbit/s for £50 per month (when they upgrade the network) isn't to be sneezed at. But whatever you do, don't get one of their wireless kits...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 11:59   #7
mist
Jolt's best friend

i assumed he couldn't get cable, otherwise yeh with the recent speed hike sit's well worth it

-mist
Unread 12 Nov 2004, 12:06   #8
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

NTL are upgrading their 300k to 1mb in a few months and its only £17.99 a month, which fits your requirements. £25 would get you the 2mb connection.

Starbucks seems to think they might drop their useage limits, even though i've never heard of anyone getting a warning for downloading too much on NTL. I'm sure someone a few posts further down will say NTL are crap, but in 3 years in 4 different house and 4 new connections i've never had any problems with them.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 01:35   #9
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

well, my dad has got us a 1Mbps connection coming on the 1st Dec. trouble is, i think he's gone with Wannado who have a 2GB/month limit. So, what i need to know now is, are there any programs out there that will monitor how much i am using of the allowance?
We shall remember them.
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 15:01   #10
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend

Pipex - im not sure how much i pay now but its about £30 for my 1mb
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 15:01   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

blueyonder tbh

25 quid for 1meg you cant really complain..
and i havnt had a problem since the very early days of it rolling out.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 15:13   #12
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

www.v21.co.uk - doing 1mb for £24.99 a month with Static IP

They're doing 512k for £16.99 (special intro offer of £9.99 for 2 months if you sign up before the 30th)

Btw, what's wrong with Bulldog? Bulldog along with F2S are supposed to get the best reviews for gamers in terms of broadband etc.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2004, 15:15   #13
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use blueyonder too, with no problems.

As Demon Dave's dad seems to have gone for Wanadoo 2GB/month this discussion is basically over?

but 2GB a month? 2GB is how much you download during one night's sleep
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 10:48   #14
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

it's ok, he's actually gone with BT, which has a 30GB limit. phew
We shall remember them.
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 11:23   #15
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

I've gone for a nice 5 meg line which was 40 quid for the modem and 20 quid a month, no limits, got it shared with 2 other roomies, one of which just uses the internet to work on her website or play starcraft.

Then again I live in canada, where ISP's don't seem interested in taking the shirt off your back.

p.s. Had techinical issues, phoned them, in 5 minutes they booked a tech for the very next morning to come out and see me and assess the problem there and then. The tech arrived at 8 am and replaced the cable line as it appears squirrels had dug it up. Service has been
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 12:54   #16
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

squirrels are (and rumours that some have been specially trained to disrupt your 'net access are entirely fictitious)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 14:46   #17
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Sunday that's mediocre for outside the UK - in Japan they have GB lines for $21 a month in certain places
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Nov 2004, 15:08   #18
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Apprently there's 8MB ADSL coming out next year for £40 a month.

Canada really sounds is the bestest country in the world let's all mve there.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 14:15   #19
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammyJim
blueyonder tbh

25 quid for 1meg you cant really complain..
and i havnt had a problem since the very early days of it rolling out.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 14:38   #20
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
well, my dad has got us a 1Mbps connection coming on the 1st Dec. trouble is, i think he's gone with Wannado who have a 2GB/month limit. So, what i need to know now is, are there any programs out there that will monitor how much i am using of the allowance?
start->programs->accessories->calculator.

2GB/month is terrible. you couldn't even download half life 2 on that

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:13   #21
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
start->programs->accessories->calculator.

2GB/month is terrible. you couldn't even download half life 2 on that
yes, 2GB/month is terrible. Just aswell we've gone with BT Yahoo! (which has a 30GB limit) and the calculator wouldn't be helpful, unless i knew the size of every page i visit
We shall remember them.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:48   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If any you do go with Telewest, please for the love of god don't get the wireless self-install kit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:17   #23
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
yes, 2GB/month is terrible. Just aswell we've gone with BT Yahoo! (which has a 30GB limit) and the calculator wouldn't be helpful, unless i knew the size of every page i visit
Even thats not great as it includes the upload bandwith in the calculations. If you dare open a p2p client then your gonna see your allowence go down the drain.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:21   #24
pyirt
nomen est omen

pyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond reputepyirt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
If any you do go with Telewest, please for the love of god don't get the wireless self-install kit.
Thanks for the advice Dante.

Me=Hans_Blix
Views expressed are those of the author and not of any company or organisation I am associated with. Electronic communication can be forged and the integrity of this message is not guaranteed.
pyirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:54   #25
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Even thats not great as it includes the upload bandwith in the calculations. If you dare open a p2p client then your gonna see your allowence go down the drain.
prexactly

EDIT: been looking at the BT Yahoo! website, it says the allowance won't come into effect untill early 2005. here's to a month unlimited access
We shall remember them.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 02:30   #26
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

£27 a month for 2 mg

I live in hull though, so good luck to anywone else trying to get karoo :P

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote