User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:22   #1
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve
UCONN vs. LT

I went to see London Towers play University of Connecticut (best university basketball team from America - apparently won the last championship in Division 1) yesterday play at an exhibition at Crystal Palace with some fellow basketballers from my school. Since one of our William Penn Fellows from Pennylsvyania (William Penn founded the state and was from my school) took us to the game he also happened to know one of the Americans who had just graduated from America who had come over was trying to get a contract with the London towers so we were able to get some tips from his prior to the game starting. They were boh in the same team and division (3) back in America.

During breaks your either had the cheeleaders come on - only the tiny midget lady good only for resting your pint on her head if you took her to the pub, was good looking - she did some cartwheels and back-flips after the 3rd quarter which was cool If it weren't them it was this Tommy Baker guy doing lots of tricks with basketballs - he was able to spin 2 basketballs on top of each other with one finger, co-ordinately bounce them simultaenously and do lots of other cool but futile tricks. Mr. Loeffller (our Penn Fellow) couldn't stop laughing at how cheesy he was. He also said the cheeleaders weren't that good though and not as fit as the Americans (damn ;o). "TRUE" etc.

There was a coaching session with the kids who train with the London towers but they were rubbish.

The final match was really good. Mr. Loefller (the William Penn Fellow) kept on complaining everytime the Romanian and English referees kept on calling complete wrong fouls. At one point, the English referee called an intentional foul just because a ball was snatched out of a players hands. The UCONN coach was getting annoyed and the America referee was too (lol). After the match it turned out Steve Ogjunimi or some player like that used to go to our school since he was little and earned a scholarship or something like that into the London Towers so he's coming down tomorrow to do a training session which should be cool

They're playing again tomorrow (25th) if anyone in the UK is interested - quite worth it if you like BB

What's really amazing is the athleticism of the players. The difference between Division 1 and Division 3 players is the athleticism (mainly) apparently. The speed they play at is amazing. They can stride across the court in about 3-4 or so strides! There was even this 5 foot guy on the UCONN team who managed to slam dunk! I'm much taller than him and can't do that Bloody midgets ... ;( HEH. There was this other player that Mr. L picked out from the UCONN team who reminded me of the guy from Fast & Furious who beat that Blonde guy after getting the tuna etc. He had 2 people on him holding onto the ball along with him and he was trying to get them off - eventually they just backed off and he was like "ROAR YEAH" and slam dunked it. That was quite funny. Another cool moment was when this UCONN guy jumped up, pulled down the rim with 1 hand and slam dunked with the other. That was the best move of the game but was DNQ'ed as that's an illegal move apparently.

The London Towers eventually won 95-89 although if the referee'ing was actually any good, I suspect it would have been a draw. I doubt the UCONN guys would have won, despite their amazing attack because their defence sucked which is where the London Towers excelled especially with counters and blocks. Surprisingly, only 3 or 4 players on the London Towers team were actually British. Apparently they can sign-up 3 players. 3 extra players (include Mr. L's friend) from American had come along for the exhibition match to try and get contracts incase of scouts etc.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:27   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: UCONN vs. LT

used to like BB, havent watched or played in years though, who are the current good teams?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:36   #3
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

I watched Basketball on Channel 5 till 3:30am last night. It was the Boston Celtics vs. Indiana Somethings and not riveting, I must say.
The best part was definately reports of the huge brawl that happened sometime not so long ago, in which fans threw chairs and food/drink on players, and players reacted by battering random members of the crowd. It was amazing. I would recommend it on video, if anyone could find it online.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:37   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i might have to have a look for that tonight
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:41   #5
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Was going to watch this but couldn't get time off uni what with exams et al.

Haven't seen the Towers play for a couple of seasons. They always use to depress me as they lacked the flair and pace of the American teams (like when i saw Knicks vs Jazz a few years ago). We use to get the impresion that if we got on court we could do better than the players, what with numerous missed lay-ups and free throws. In reality we knew the players were much much better than us, it's just that once you watch the same guy miss three lay-ups in a row you begin to wonder...

And as you say the referees in British Basketball (much like those in British ice hockey) seem completely clueless when it comes to letting a game become interesting when compared to their American counterparts.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:43   #6
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
The best part was definately reports of the huge brawl that happened sometime not so long ago, in which fans threw chairs and food/drink on players, and players reacted by battering random members of the crowd. It was amazing. I would recommend it on video, if anyone could find it online.
Saw this on CNN when it happened. Was brilliaint.

Would greatly appreciate seeing it again.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:44   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

yearh, if you find it before i do tell me
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 18:51   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I work / live near Crystal Palace.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:25   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

They're playing tomorrow Dante as well (I took with me a fixture list after the game) UCONN again funnily enough in another exhibition match. Cost is £8 for an adult unreserved non-prebooked ticket.
----------retired-------
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:55   #10
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

American way of winning at things.

Take obscene amounts of growth hormones, work out, ice bath and repeat ad nauseum.

Die at age 40 from a heart related condition
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:58   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs should be legal.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 20:53   #12
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Steroids and other performance enhancing drugs should be legal.
Yes cause promoting a lifestyle that leads to premature death and other health related problems with the kidney's and Heart should be the choice for the role models of our next generation.

Hey kids you can be as cool as him, so long as you decrease your lifespan and take mood altering drugs!
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 20:56   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday8pm
Yes cause promoting a lifestyle that leads to premature death and other health related problems with the kidney's and Heart should be the choice for the role models of our next generation.

Hey kids you can be as cool as him, so long as you decrease your lifespan and take mood altering drugs!
I'd rather not encourage people who emulated athletes to be alive.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:00   #14
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
I'd rather not encourage people who emulated athletes to be alive.
I forgot, you'd rather the populace of the world didn't have any aspirations and just slotted into the human workforce serving the greater goal of humanity and breeding correctly.

Am I right?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:01   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Yeah obviously.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:06   #16
Sunday8pm
Banned

So techinically that means no-one should imagine aspiring to your ideal, which means no-one can possibly share in it and reinforce it/make it happen.

Isn't that a bit retarded?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:24   #17
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Sunday.fullstop.what.t.he.fook?
----------retired-------
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:28   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
So techinically that means no-one should imagine aspiring to your ideal, which means no-one can possibly share in it and reinforce it/make it happen.

Isn't that a bit retarded?
You've failed to see I was being sarcastic.

Well done.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 21:54   #19
Sunday8pm
Banned

Quote:
You've failed to see I was being sarcastic.

Well done.
No, I've just come to the conclusion that Sarcasm is a level of wit above you.

You don't pull it off.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 22:04   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
You don't pull it off.
There's nothing to "pull off" Sunday. You asked the most idiotic question ever which was either a ridiculous troll or a misunderstanding of every single post I've ever made. I didn't dignify your nonsense with a proper response and you thought you'd continue. Congratulations, you've filled the forums with another crap post and, in a small way, made the universe objectively worse.

I hope you're happy with yourself.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 23:06   #21
Androme
☆ ♥ 

I hope you're happy with yourself too Dante
----------retired-------