User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Aug 2007, 15:24   #1
Awake
Asleep.

Awake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura about
Old laptop hard drive.

I have an old laptop from about 5 years ago which today finally gave up the ghost completely. I'd only been using it as a word processor and a bit of inter web browsing in front of the telly. It wasn't an upsetting loss or anything.

I did however, before disposing of it, open it up and remove its hard drive. It's only tiny, a little 20gig. It does have a few files I'd like to retrieve. They aren't that important and it wouldn't be a tremendous loss if I couldn't get at them but I'd really like too.

The problem is the interface. The hard drive is quite small (obviously) and on the back on its little sticker it says it's a ATA/IDE interface. The drive its self is an IBM Travelstar.

Can anyone think of a way / know of a way that I can in some way interface with it to retrieve the data on it?

I'm a bit useless with hardware so any help would me much appreciated :-)

Plastic Brilliance
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 16:07   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Old laptop hard drive.

you can get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide adaptor - and plug it into a desktop computer
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 18:51   #3
Awake
Asleep.

Awake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura about

Ah right didn't realise that, thanks a lot Phil^.

Plastic Brilliance
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 19:29   #4
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Or you could always buy a 2.5" hard drive enclosure thus turning the drive into a USB hard drive that you can then take around with you

Its what I do whenever a laptop dies on me or I replace it as they make good backup devices and are small enough that they are good for taking files around with you that are too big to really fit on a USB Pen Drive

You can pick one up from Dabs for under £6 ( http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=3V65 )
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 22:13   #5
Awake
Asleep.

Ah nice one thank you Wakey. I've just put in an order for one now :-)

Plastic Brilliance
Unread 5 Sep 2007, 16:03   #6
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What are things you would need in order to do all of this? My laptop is totally gone and I want the stuff on the HD which I didn't have a chance to transfer over to my desktop.

Do I have to open my desktop?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2007, 16:22   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

only if you go the 2.5" to 3.5" converter route.. if you choose to buy a USB HDD enclusure you need only put the laptop drive into the enclosure and plug it into a USB slot on your desktop machine.