User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Jan 2003, 00:56   #1
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Help :( Computer just died

my computer froze so i had to restart it and now i get that the /system folder is either missing or corrupt

i tried going into the recovery colsole but when it says which windows do you want to logon on to i choose the one (only OS installed) and press enter but it just stops and nothing happens

i then tried to reinstall xp but get as far as searching for previously installed copies and it freezes, meaning i don't think i can install a new OS

it seems pretty ****ed

any advice/help?
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:09   #2
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
hrm I'd just format the entire comp and install from a known to work disk. If that doesnt work then its either your cd drive or more likely, your hdd..I'd guess anyway

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:11   #3
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
there's a lot on there i don't wanna lose tho

atm trying to copy stuff (bout 15/20 gb) onto other hdd before i try anything else, as i'm in dos this could take a while :/
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 10:14   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
you cant run a system restore?

the xp cd should let you if its all gone to hell...
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 18:24   #5
Ragnarak

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
you cant run a system restore?

the xp cd should let you if its all gone to hell...
don't have a 'legal' copy of xp to boot from but have to mess around starting a new install to get to the recovery console thingy

once there tho when it says 'which installation do you want to logon to' i choose the one i want and it just freezes up

also when i try to install a new copy of xp it freezes at the 'searching for previously installed versions' screen

i had to take the hd out, install xp on the small hd that had no operating systems on it, then once xp installed put the other hd back in, etc

i now have a working pc but lost a few settings and stuff, specifically my uni isp password but should be able to get that back somehow i hope :/