User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Dec 2002, 15:33   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Joystick port on a soundcard?

What the hell is a Joystick port doing on a soundcard? This has been bugging me for some while now. All the soundcards I've seen have a joystick port, but WHY?! Surely a joystick has little to do with sound, no?
Or am I missing something?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 15:38   #2
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Joystick port on a soundcard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
What the hell is a Joystick port doing on a soundcard? This has been bugging me for some while now. All the soundcards I've seen have a joystick port, but WHY?! Surely a joystick has little to do with sound, no?
Or am I missing something?
Originally the main use for sound was in games. Joysticks are almost exclusively used for games. See the link? Unless you have mobo support (many still don't) you need a hole to stick the joystick in (NO RUDE COMMENTS!).
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 15:45   #3
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
That is probably the main reason.
Nowadays, it usually doubles as a midi port.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 15:50   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Joystick port on a soundcard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
Originally the main use for sound was in games. Joysticks are almost exclusively used for games. See the link? Unless you have mobo support (many still don't) you need a hole to stick the joystick in (NO RUDE COMMENTS!).
heh heh...

But, I believe every gamepad/joystick I have around here goes on a 9pin serial port, so basically it's not quite logical, as a serial port could also be used for joysticks. Even back in the old days.

Unread 24 Dec 2002, 15:58   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Re: Re: Re: Joystick port on a soundcard?

Quote:
heh heh...

But, I believe every gamepad/joystick I have around here goes on a 9pin serial port, so basically it's not quite logical, as a serial port could also be used for joysticks. Even back in the old days.

You have serial joysticks? Weird...

Mine is USB/15pin D-sub. Bearing in mind it does double as a MIDI port and many people had both their serial ports taken up with a modem or printer and mouse a seperate port does make sense
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:06   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Re: Re: Re: Re: Joystick port on a soundcard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
You have serial joysticks? Weird...

Mine is USB/15pin D-sub. Bearing in mind it does double as a MIDI port and many people had both their serial ports taken up with a modem or printer and mouse a seperate port does make sense
True, I agree with that... Now while I'm going through my Audigy documents I do see the Creative "blaster key (board)" as an optional device for the port for recording MIDI.

I still find it a tad odd though, especially with modern equipment (whereas the Audigy is relatively new), where USB actually replaces these old ports.

[edit]
And my joysticks/gamepads are old and cheap thingies, but yes, they have a 9 pin connector
[/edit]
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:19   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Joystick port on a soundcard?

Quote:
I still find it a tad odd though, especially with modern equipment (whereas the Audigy is relatively new), where USB actually replaces these old ports.
Both my USB ports are in use so my joystick (God only knows why as I never use it) has to go in the joystick port and fight with the cables for this
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:26   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

ooo.... that's pretty.... I used to play keyboard. Only thing I can play now is a damn walz (sp?).
Are you into music or do you play games with that?
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:34   #9
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Are you into music or do you play games with that?
ROFLMAO! Press Middle C to fire!

I play keyboards with it (obviously), I wouldn't have £1k worth of MIDI controller lying around for fun :P I have 2 of these hooked up to it with a 4 chanel mixer linking them, a mic and the computer to an amp. Kinda worth more than all the rest of my computer stuff put together
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:35   #10
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
waltz.

You can still buy 'gameport' connection joysticks - they're just the cheap nasty £4.99 jobs from places like Game and PC World.
My SBLive refers to that port as the "SB Live! MIDI Port" which is probably, as has been said, the main use they get these days seeing as there is no other standard way of connecting a MIDI device.

Both my gamepads are Logitech Wingman Rumblepad Dual Analog jobs so are USB, and very nice they are too. If only I had the money I'd get another two of them for some 4 player NHL niceness. That would run me out of USB ports though.

Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:48   #11
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
you need to get 6 usb ports liek me!

infact i have 8 but two of them i dont think i can hook up to anything.

heh
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:56   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have 6.
2 x USB 1.1 rear, 2 x USB 2.0 rear, 2 x USB 1.1 front panel (switchable to USB 2.0, but my external zip250 kept b0rking when they were USB 2.0 so I left them as 1.1).

Who needs hubs?

Unread 24 Dec 2002, 16:58   #13
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
all mine are 2.0

nah nah nah nah

etc etc
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2002, 17:05   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Oi... I have either 6*USB1.1 or 4*USB1.1 + 4*USB2.0.. I don't know because it depends on whether I have the pro2-R or the pro2-RU version of my MoBo.

*tries to find out*

[edit]
SiSoft Sandra lists 3 USB controlers, each with two channels and version 1.1. So I have the Pro2-R version of the MoBo...
[/edit]
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 21:27   #15
RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
I have 6.
2 x USB 1.1 rear, 2 x USB 2.0 rear, 2 x USB 1.1 front panel (switchable to USB 2.0, but my external zip250 kept b0rking when they were USB 2.0 so I left them as 1.1).

Who needs hubs?

I have 11.

Everyone on my PC is USB
Unread 28 Dec 2002, 21:28   #16
RIT

Quote:
Originally posted by RIT
I have 11.

Everyone on my PC is USB
Because of course I have 11 people pluged into my PC...

I surprise myself with my own stupidity all the time.

I meant everything incase you was wondering