User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:18   #1
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
CPU/Case/Heatsink Temperatures

In my mobo is the option to have system performance as 'agressive'

basically it works everything a little harder....

however what are the ideal temperatures for the cpu to be running at when just in windows...

mine has risen from a rather ok 37degrees to 41 as its slowly heated up and its not exactly doing a great deal right now...

im planning to switch a fan infront of the hdd off and also one of the exhaust fans cos its making rather alot of noise...

that leaves 1 intake, cpu fan, 1 side intake, 1 exhaust all still running....
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:20   #2
Idi

afaik you really dont wanna break 60 and a temperature of 45 doing fk all is pretty much ok.
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 20:25   #3
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
You should be aiming for a case temperature below 42 degrees (I seem to remember you have an AMD XP+?) for normal operation if I remember right.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2002, 22:45   #4
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
You should be aiming for a case temperature below 42 degrees (I seem to remember you have an AMD XP+?) for normal operation if I remember right.
yeah my case is at 30 degrees atm which is fine

the CPU is fine upto 60 degrees where you might what to consider doing something but its still not a great problem. The chip wont "die" until it reaches 90 anyway

So I dont think you need to worry just yet
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 00:36   #5
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
its winter, and you're getting those temps

computer temps are heavily affected by the room ambient temperature.

When my room temp is 18-20C I get CPU temps 48C loaded and 42C hanging around in windows. Mobo temp will range from 28C-33C, but that will change when I replace the thin heatsink with one i made from a small socket A heatsink.

My CPU is AXP2000+ with a rather crap 80mm case fan @ 2700rpm 33cfm on an AX-7.

IMO, 60C is far too hot for a system to run entirely stable, I would say 53C for its hottest possible temp (summer+loaded)
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2002, 09:17   #6
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Because I use that Zalman silent CPU cooler on my AXP2000+, mine idles at 59ish.
It stresses at 65ish.

It has not crashed once since I put the Zalman on it (2 months ago btw).

Athlons are stable up to 75C, get unstable at 85C and are permanently damaged at 95C, if you believe AMD.
If silent is what you want, there's little point trying to restrict temperatures. Yes, running at higher temperatures will reduce the lifetime of the chip - but so what? So the chip burns out in 4 years instead of 8 - are you seriously going to try telling me you'll still be using it in 2?

The only way to get silent/quiet (which I know JJ is aiming for) and low temps is to use water cooling. If you've got the money, then sure - but I'll stick to higher temps and keep the cash thanks. Besides, think of how energy effecient it is to be pumping out air from the back of the system at 32C or so - I've not had to turn the heating on in my room in halls once yet!

Unread 20 Dec 2002, 12:11   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
ive cut the noise down to 'acceptable' working levels but not 'acceptable sleeping levels'...

i.e. i can still hear it.. heh

i took of the side case and shut down all the fans. (incidently im only running 1 side instake and 1 exhaust but theyre positioned so air flows directly over the mobo, gfx card etc and then leaves when its passed over all of it. quite funky ..)

the fan is rated at 32.2cfm i believe and a decibel rating of 21dB. papist make a fan which is 80mm and has 19dB but shifts less air....

incidently the fans are thermaltake orange standard things... theyre good fans so i think ill just stick with them. ive turned off the front intake, the hdd intake and one of the rear exhaust. the amd is now on variable and i just leave it on low until i do any gaming. temps risen to 45degrees just runnning winamp and windows but im not bothered.

for some reason i can actually crank the fan speed right up to what it should be which the mobo wouldnt let me do before. so fi i need "instant" cooling i can set it to high and kill about 5-6degrees within about 5seconds...
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote