User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jul 2003, 20:31   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
PS2 DVD Playback

My sister recently moved out, and took the dvd player with her. So i was wondering if anyone who uses a ps2 to watch dvd's has any problems with its playback, as i'm getting conflicting views from the looneys on irc.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 20:40   #2
Vin

Vin is an unknown quantity at this point
heh

well its is kinda conflict. .. for the most part the ps2 is a good dvd player although not quite as good as an actual dvd player. I watch dvd's on it and it might hang for a few seconds once every 5 dvd's i watch. Plus the ps2 plays games and cd's so i think its a great entertainment center myself.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 20:53   #3
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Ah, great, so it shouldnt be too bad if i hold off buying a new dvd player for the time being. Ta. :D
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 21:02   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
We had a PS2 in our house last year and used it constantly to play DVDs on. We never bothered going upstairs and unplugging our house m8s dvd player so i think its safe to say a PS2 is ok as a DVD player.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 21:17   #5
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
I've hardly had any problems watching dvd's; some utterly scratched plates have skipped once or twice, is all.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 21:31   #6
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
works on every single DVD disk playable as a normal DVD Player, except if it is a PAL PS2, then it cant play NTSC Region 0 disks
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 22:49   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
works on every single DVD disk playable as a normal DVD Player, except if it is a PAL PS2, then it cant play NTSC Region 0 disks
Unless you have Region X. In which case it plays anything

For some reason DVD playback is green thru scart on some TV's but thats about the only problem.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 22:54   #8
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
i dont suppose a ps2 can do AC3 can it ?
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:41   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by CjC
Unless you have Region X. In which case it plays anything

For some reason DVD playback is green thru scart on some TV's but thats about the only problem.

your scart lead should have a little switch on it, if you flick it it wil get rid of the green-ness
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:43   #10
Vin

Vin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
i dont suppose a ps2 can do AC3 can it ?
well i know mine has a digital audio out, but i dunno if its an AC3 since i've never heard of that before
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 23:46   #11
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
my ps2 IS my dvd player, and I have had no problems with it at all. It's great all around
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 01:18   #12
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner_0
your scart lead should have a little switch on it, if you flick it it wil get rid of the green-ness
I went into the Sony shop and asked about this once... It can be solved by using s-video as well, but to do that you need a) a cable and b) a tv with s-video input.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 01:26   #13
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
the problem i have with ps2 is that sometimes it does the whole copy protection thing (flickering, you will know what i mean if you have ever seen it) cos the only tv i have in the house with scart is a tv/video combo thing
and that is really annoying :/

(basically, dont try and hook it up through your vid.)
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 01:28   #14
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of
Quote:
the problem i have with ps2 is that sometimes it does the whole copy protection thing (flickering, you will know what i mean if you have ever seen it) cos the only tv i have in the house with scart is a tv/video combo thing

(basically, dont try and hook it up through your vid.)
Indeed, just like trying to watch/record Sky Digital box office through the video. Its annoying and gay. gay.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 18:29   #15
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
cos the only tv i have in the house with scart is a tv/video combo thing
i've done the same and had no problems with it whatsoever. maybe it's just your tv
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jul 2003, 18:39   #16
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
My Home Cinema System is connected up through a Televideo. I get no problems whatsoever. Picture is immaculate.
Unread 11 Jul 2003, 09:25   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

damn you all to hell and back :/
Unread 11 Jul 2003, 12:11   #18
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Ps2 DVD playback is crap on my PS2. About 60 minutes into a movie it starts to skip and is deteriorates until it is completely unwatchable.

It appears to be a common problem, I've seen reports of this problem on many a forum.

My advice is if you buy a PS2, dont get the DVD extras and just use it for games.

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote