User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:03   #1
Nuff

body mods

k here's the story.
I have a piercing, I want more, I'm going to get more.

I also want a branding, top of left arm of a knife, I'm not gonna bore you all with details.

And I want some bars implanted into the outside of my right thigh, so that they point down towards the knee.

The problem is society's acceptance. I have no doubt that most people who read this post will say "yeah cool" without thinking.

But think. I'm working for you, and you have to promote me, the guy with a knife burnt into his arm, and metal bits embedded in his body, or you have to promote the guy next to me, who turns up to work with mirror shined shoes and immaculate suit.
Who do you promote and why? I know who I'd promote, and it wouldn't be me.

Should I say to hell with society and get the branding and implants, or should I say no to them?

Opinions most welcome.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:04   #2
insane_in_da_membrane
Blowdried

insane_in_da_membrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't care what you looked like if you were a more efficient worker and produced better results.
insane_in_da_membrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:09   #3
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by insane_in_da_membrane
I wouldn't care what you looked like if you were a more efficient worker and produced better results.
MISTAH CAPITALIST
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:11   #4
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
I understand the piercing and tattoos.
I don't get why people would have metal balls and bars implanted under their skin...

Why?
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:12   #5
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: body mods

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuff

But think. I'm working for you, and you have to promote me, the guy with a knife burnt into his arm, and metal bits embedded in his body, or you have to promote the guy next to me, who turns up to work with mirror shined shoes and immaculate suit.
Whoever is best at the job.

I take your point though. If youre that bothered about it, then why not compromise and get piercings that you can easily hide? I mean, the top of the left arm and the right thigh is really going to be visible in a workplace environment.

People will judge you on how you look though. Its your choice.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:16   #6
Woof
Banned

Woof is an unknown quantity at this point
A friend of mine applied for a job with British Airways as a hostess, and the job application form stated they wouldn't accept people with visable tattoos.
Some employers are funny like that.
Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:19   #7
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
A friend of mine applied for a job with British Airways as a hostess, and the job application form stated they wouldn't accept people with visable tattoos.
Some employers are funny like that.
From an employers point of view thats probably justifiable. Regardless of what they think about how piercing looks, they are running a business and as such they are forced to take public opinion into account to some degree if they want to profit. If they feel that people are more likely to react badly to staff with tattoos, then the employee's physical appearance is directly affecting his work, meaning that refusing to hire him would make sense from a business perspective. This only applies to jobs that are primarally focused on dealing with the public of course.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:26   #8
Dark_Crystal

Re: body mods

Quote:
k here's the story.
I have a piercing, I want more, I'm going to get more.

I also want a branding, top of left arm of a knife, I'm not gonna bore you all with details.

And I want some bars implanted into the outside of my right thigh, so that they point down towards the knee.

The problem is society's acceptance. I have no doubt that most people who read this post will say "yeah cool" without thinking.

Should I say to hell with society and get the branding and implants, or should I say no to them?

Opinions most welcome.
i would hire you before i would hire say... that suit

i would prefer my employees to have a sense of self

tat n im a sucker for pen:s bars
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:29   #9
Dark_Crystal

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick
Cool is always the wrong reason.
COOL IS WRONG! JUMP ON THE BANDWAGGON
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 00:38   #10
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
If you got Skills, any good manager (and you wouldn't work for a firm with bad managers if you had skills) will hire you over the suit.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 01:27   #11
Nuff

Quote:
caused by bodily mutilation.
It's not bodily mutilation. It's body art.

The infection is not caused by the art, the infection is caused by failing to clean yourself properly.

I notice you also say "looking like a freak" that's exactly the perception I'm worried about.

I'm NOT a freak. I'm a normal guy.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 01:48   #12
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
if I were an employer I'd think something like 'hmm that guys a fking weirdo think I'll just try getting rid of him'. I'm not an employer but I'll still go about thinking your a freak....

..FREAK!

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:02   #13
Dark_Crystal

Quote:

The infection is not caused by the art, the infection is caused by failing to clean yourself properly.

I notice you also say "looking like a freak" that's exactly the perception I'm worried about.

I'm NOT a freak. I'm a normal guy.
but u look like one
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:11   #14
Nuff

depends who's eyes you look through.

To me the stuff I want is normal, an expression of an inner self.

To you I may look like a freak, but to you I say stop thinking with a narrow mind.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:25   #15
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
i think it would depend on the job
if it's a type of job where you have lots of customer contact then chances are they might take the suit

if it's an office job where you're in a cubicle all day.. well if your more efficient.. then they'd prolly promote you.

you have to remember that in our society things like body mutilations are still frowned upon by the older generations (well and still some younger) and so a company has to keep in mind that if they want business.. then they have to look good to the customers.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:48   #16
Dark_Crystal

Quote:
depends who's eyes you look through.

To me the stuff I want is normal, an expression of an inner self.

To you I may look like a freak, but to you I say stop thinking with a narrow mind.
my veiw is distorted by the fact that this week i saw a goth freak with punk hair like an echidna dyed black with read points

he also had tattoos everywhere nipple rings with a chin up to his eyebrow form them and he had a few metal bolts through his nose

the whole effect was to make me think of somthing my cat had dragged in, coughed up and **** on
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 02:52   #17
Nuff

so you automatically assume that I want to be the same?

stop being a tool.

I have no facial piercings, nor any desire to have facial piercings.
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:22   #18
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
i got an early promotion at my work (as a tax consultant), despite my numerous mods. most of my piercings i keep covered for work, and the facial ones i remove for meetings if needed.

If you're good enough at your job, appearance means very little.

i have loads to say on the matter, but cba with the flaming, so will talk on msn about it

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:26   #19
vampy
bound & gagged

vampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud ofvampy has much to be proud of
Quote:
First, I'd have to ask, whats more important. Cool, or money. Make no mistake, looking like a freak will cost you money, it costs to get the stuff, it will cost to have it (the daily cleanings with alcohol for some piercings), lost revenue from not recieved jobs, and it will cost to get it removed. There are also the maybe costs of if you get an infection, it could cost you a lot more then you ever dreamt, people have lost their tongue, or ears, and even their life from infections caused by bodily mutilation.

Today i will mostly be hating people who don't know what the **** they are talking about

e.v.o.l.v.e
vampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:26   #20
Nuff

ok thanks.

Appreciate all the sensible comments btw thanks
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:48   #21
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Ultimately just do whatever you feel most comfortable with.

You can't avoid the fact that you will be gaurenteed to get strange looks maybe even comments both positive and negative. This will never change, just make sure you do it for the right reasons. If you are doing it for yourself, great, enjoy your freedom of expression. If you're doing it to please other people or spark a reaction, don't bother you are wasting your time.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 13:52   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Woof
I understand the piercing and tattoos.
I don't get why people would have metal balls and bars implanted under their skin...

Why?
Tatoos are quite neat IMO... I MIGHT want one myself (altho I never seriously considdered it)
Piercings and metal accessoires I can't understand.... I don't see the beauty of a piercing through ones nose or eyebrow or.... even more uncomfortable places...
Metal bars and balls are just plain sick.... I mean.... WHY ONE EARTH would someone want something like that? It doesn't make you prettier and probably feels crap too...

But from the employers point of view, he would certainly think twice about giving a job to someone who looks like a scrapyard. Whether it be an office job or something at mac-donalds. I'm for sure I'd think twice!
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 14:03   #23
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Vampy
If you're good enough at your job, appearance means very little.
Bull****.

The entire world is built on appearance and aesthetics.

Turn if youre good enough at your job, appearance means very little
to
If you can appear good, and present yourself well, how good you are at your job means very little

People should stop trying to kid themselves the world is fair.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Nov 2002, 14:08   #24
Nuff

i say. I'm too lazy to polish my shoes
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 14:27   #25
Nuff

Thanks for all your opinions, most appreciated.

I'm gonna get all the piercings I want, thenI think I'm gonna go ahead and get the branding, when I'm happy to. The implants I think I'll wait on, and maybe never get.

Thanks again for all the input.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 14:35   #26
Cocaine

Quote:

It is both
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 14:54   #27
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Very freaky all that ****....looks aint all, but it does matter you know....i wouldnt promote you....to much anarchy in you....bossppl need slaves...not ppl with an special state of mind anyway good luck with all your brandings and rings and tattoos somebody has to be crazy nuf to do it else all those weirdoes doing them would be out of a job gl ! for me its a big no no ! cause i dont like piercings and such, makes you look very gay
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 15:21   #28
Nuff

lol
a man not afraid to speakhis mind eh Spearhead?
just because I have piercings and a brand doesn't mean I'm an anarchist fs!
I'm actually a nice guy, and I work well under authority.
thanks though. ps not all piercings make you look gay.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 15:33   #29
Orichalcon

You ain't a freak Nuff. You aint never been a freak.

The piercings are cool, just get the non removeable ones in easy to cover up area's.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 16:26   #30
Scouser

Quote:
To me the stuff I want is normal, an expression of an inner self. To you I may look like a freak, but to you I say stop thinking with a narrow mind.
ull look weird and therefore must BE weird then eh
that narrow mind **** is getting on my nerves, these days if u dont like something out of the ordinary, u must have a 'narrow mind' - what a load of ****e.
tattoos i dont have a problem with, metal bars and implants i do cos its weird and i think u must have a problem elswhere if u think its normal (if u start arguing with me about the meaning of this word i will personally come down there and give u some 'implants' myself!).
If you dont wanna accept this and wanna go ahead with it anyways, just do it and accept the consequences - like someone said before, it could cost you a job (and it definitely would in some occupations) but if your ok with that and believe that your individualness or whatever is more important then go for it.
Not a risk i would take but then I wouldn't intentionally implant metal bars into my body to gain attention/look 'good'/or satisfy some need for pain or whatever reason uve got.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 19:32   #31
Nuff

maybe the narrow mind stuff irritates you cos it applies?

I'm sorry but if you can't accept implants on someone, cos you personally think it's wierd that they want it then you ARE narrow minded.

Just accept that not everyone has the same sense of morals/ethics/personal ideals as you.

To argue over the meaning of the word "normal" is impossible. It's abstract, it has no meaning to anyone other than yourself, as it is defined in RELATION to yourself.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 19:38   #32
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
maybe the narrow mind stuff irritates you cos it applies?

I'm sorry but if you can't accept implants on someone, cos you personally think it's wierd that they want it then you ARE narrow minded.

Just accept that not everyone has the same sense of morals/ethics/personal ideals as you.

To argue over the meaning of the word "normal" is impossible. It's abstract, it has no meaning to anyone other than yourself, as it is defined in RELATION to yourself.
Your question was how employers would think about such body-mods, and as far as I can see, employers are just as narrow-minded as us......
Now, you can call them "narrow-minded bstards" for that or you can leave the metal accessoires home and have a bigger chance of getting a job.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 19:48   #33
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouser

ull look weird and therefore must BE weird then eh
that narrow mind **** is getting on my nerves, these days if u dont like something out of the ordinary, u must have a 'narrow mind' - what a load of ****e.
tattoos i dont have a problem with, metal bars and implants i do cos its weird and i think u must have a problem elswhere if u think its normal (if u start arguing with me about the meaning of this word i will personally come down there and give u some 'implants' myself!).
If you dont wanna accept this and wanna go ahead with it anyways, just do it and accept the consequences - like someone said before, it could cost you a job (and it definitely would in some occupations) but if your ok with that and believe that your individualness or whatever is more important then go for it.
Not a risk i would take but then I wouldn't intentionally implant metal bars into my body to gain attention/look 'good'/or satisfy some need for pain or whatever reason uve got.
Some people see their physical appearance as an outwards reflection of their '"inner self", or see no reason to seperate the concepts of physical and mental on that level. They want to look 'good' - not to please anybody else or to stand out, but for no other reason than to create beauty. The aesthetic factor is the end, not the means. Think of painting a picture. You dont care what anyone else thinks of it - all that matters is that you find it to be beautiful, and you know that you have created it for yourself - noone else. Now apply that same principle to your body.

Just because a lot of people seem to use body implants to "stand out from the crowd", doesnt mean they all do. Some simply find their body beautiful, and want to do something to it that they think will increase the beauty in their eyes. No higher purpose or other motive involved - simply the creation of something beautiful, and the knowledge that its you who created it, and that its 'part' of you.
Unread 18 Nov 2002, 20:16   #34
Vanilla

Vanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura aboutVanilla has a spectacular aura about
lol

I don't understand where is the body forum?

lol0l
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 10:11   #35
Spearhead
Beyond The Sun

Spearhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
lol
a man not afraid to speakhis mind eh Spearhead?
just because I have piercings and a brand doesn't mean I'm an anarchist fs!
I'm actually a nice guy, and I work well under authority.
thanks though. ps not all piercings make you look gay.
well i try to be honest about it...i know here in belgium you dont get a high profile job if you look like Pinhead but i guess there are different standards elsewhere....hey mate i aint narrowminded, i'm just not ready for all that stuff...i am sure if i would have a tattoo done or a piercing it wouldnt last long before i would get tired of it and have it removed....but ofc thats just me ...another thing... i dont need to have piercings or anything else to make me more "sexy" all natural here...i like me just theway i am, i dont care what others think...in a way we are not very different only you need metal and ink, i need lots of mouse and gel
I didnt mean disrespect in my earlier post by the way....i hope you find what you are looking for and will rock in your carreer !!!

All the best,

Acid
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 11:45   #36
Nuff

nah man it's cool.
I didn't take any disresepect from your earlier post. I could see from the tone you wrote in you didn't mean any.

I didn't mean to call you narrow minded, you don't seem it. You seem incredibly reasonable actually.

Cheers y'all.
Unread 19 Nov 2002, 15:17   #37
Nuff

DarthSidious says if its what u wanna do, **** society an go for it

He's a retard and couldn't post, so I am for him.