User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 12 Feb 2005, 14:26   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
so im trying to learn CSS...

but nothing seems to work
atm im trying to rewrite a page i worked on a while ago ( www.gameiro.de, please dont comment on that frame-crap or the far too green and far too big layout or the far too many pictures. i only build the shop, the whole layout was already finished, so its not my fault).
anyway, as i said, im trying to rewrite the whole html- and table-stuff and instead use css. most of the stuff i wrote / copied so far worked, but how do i fix this? it works in firefox, but in IE there is a 3px margin left and right of the pictures. i could fix it with negative margins for IE, but that would make it look crap in firefox.

edit: fixed it now, it was a bad idea to put that style-stuff into the img-tag.

Last edited by wu_trax; 12 Feb 2005 at 15:53.
wu_trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 16:31   #2
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice
Re: so im trying to learn CSS...

Here you go:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/selectutorial/

That site gives the purpose of all the rules and properties. For troubleshooting I'd recommend codingforums.com, and for inspiration or best-practice technique www.alistapart.com.

The easiest way to write CSS is to use valid code, in such a way that it works in IE. Then you can apply a few minor hacks (which IE will ignore) and it should appear the same in every other browser (with the possible exception of Konqueror, which is a bit funny).

Example of the simplest hack:
Code:
#content {margin:5px 0} /* sets the top/bot margin to 5px, and left/right to 0. */
html>body #content {margin:5px 5px} /* redefines the left/right margin 
     as 5px, but IE will ignore it. */