User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 8 Dec 2004, 10:25   #1
Aviendha
RaH !!!

Aviendha is an unknown quantity at this point
Lucy in the sky.with dollarbills

I know i never make threads and am thus likely to be ignored, but i need to get this out of my system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4077073.stm

and a more amusing version

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4077137.stm

As it happens i was reading in EOS a couple of days ago (EOS is a rather respectable science magazine here). A faction of scientists believe the hole in the ozone-layer over the South Pole will have fixed itself by 2050. Basically it's all in the exchange of harmfull gasses like CFK's between the layers of the atmosphere, and thus when the concentration of these gasses falls in one layer, more ozone would be produced to fill up the existing holes. The sattelite which will monitor this line of thought is called OMI (dutch-finnish device) and was launched by NASA. The basic idea being that there will be no augmentation of these harmfull substances in the meanwhile, negating the wash out.

Now i work in an industry where environmental care and sound business-politics often collide. (Yes even 70kms from Brussels we sometimes hate the petty EU laws)
Basically we work in construction, and get threatened with closure non stop over silly things like too high particle emmissions (in our case the particles consist of... *shock* sand or better the filler that makes up a 30% faction of sand). We don't leak petrol into the soil, we don't flush industrial waste straight into the rivers, we even have millions worth of installations to prevent any bitumen (oil derivate) from the asphalt to end up in our water. (even though it has never been proven that bitumen can actually corrode in such a matter, but it's better to be safe than sorry)
Now i know we're not a multinational who burns the equivalent of a medium oil-state's daily petrol-production into the air daily, but we do our thing for the environment.
But where is the line between sound economics and care for a global issue like environment?

I'm not claiming i know beyond a shred of a doubt that the Kyoto treaty is spot on with its scientific background behind their advice. Hell, even all us 6 billion people breathing all the time is bad for the environment in se. But i can't see how economical growth is a counter-indication for trying to limit certain harmfull practices.
Ofcourse i don't want to see any more unemployed people in the US, or nextdoor for that matter, but environmental care has created it's own fullblown work-sector in our industrialised world surely. So how harmfull would it be to focus even some more on the care for our biosphere, compared to investing in the insignificant short sprees of economical growth when put against centuries of a further decaying environment.
I'm not saying the US does nothing, far from, but this Dr. Watson sounds to me as if he is more worried by the state of his portfolio on the stockmarkets.

So what am i?
A Bush-hating greenpeace activist for the sake of it - or - am i not the only one who worries about stuff like this, my wallet vs some cleanish air for a next generation.
Aviendha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 11:28   #2
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Lucy in the sky.with dollarbills

Quote:
He told reporters that efforts to cut emissions were based on bad science.
Science is bad! God told our president what to do! \o/

Anyway....yeah it worries me to be honest but America worries me in general. As it does most everyone else in the entire world.

If there's 5.7 billion of us and 300million of them...don't you think we can take them?!
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 12:54   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

My personal favourite bit of that story is that Bush's 10 year plan to reduce carbon emissions only comes into power after he is no longer president.

Any carbon reducing scheme will severely hit many businesses if there's not government subsidies, and given the extremely likelihood of a Democratic president next time around, you get an extreme slump in small business (and employment rates) when the Democrats come to power.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 12:56   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncubusGod
If there's 5.7 billion of us and 300million of them...don't you think we can take them?!
The american military is at a fairly low ebb at the moment. I say we leave it to the French to conquer the US with irony. Also their very powerful military.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 14:33   #5
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Slight problem with that - the French would no doubt target Flyingdales and Menworth Hill as their first strike.
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 14:41   #6
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
given the extremely likelihood of a Democratic president next time around
What do you base that on?
Unread 8 Dec 2004, 16:56   #7
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
What do you base that on?
Probably history

~Vaio~

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote