User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jan 2003, 03:19   #1
Syrinx

ahhh r2 how I miss it

I would just like to take planetarion back to r2. I mean cant say that we didnt have more people playing then, then we do now. and back then we didnt have to pay I understand, but ask anyone who played in r2 if they would pay to play it agian, im sure about 85% would say YES!!!! WHEN DOES IT START!!!!

ahh well just looking back on the good old days

free
lots of thieves
lots of spiders
lots of roids

down side

lots of bashers
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 03:27   #2
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
If you could bring back community then maybe. I think if I played Round 2 stats now I'd find them rather boring.

Last edited by Hicks; 9 Jan 2003 at 03:35.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 03:31   #3
MelAn
Condenación

MelAn is an unknown quantity at this point
...like some old, wise man said:
"People always talking about the past are not trustworthy, have something to hide & are afraid of looking in a positive future..." ¹

Sry no offense, forgive me...i just tried to be funny...*ashamed*

--------
¹ MelAn, M., Dumb Stuff, In: My little book of wisdom, Halle/Saale, 2004, S. 5
R4: 55:8:23 Selenia the Dark Angel of Urborg of Dominaria ( NoS)
R5: 24:12:5 MelAncholic Angel of Condemnation (NoS)
R6: 21:5:10 Cursed Visionary of True Faith (NoS)
R7: 9:19:9 Fragrance of Your Skin (NoS/Bunnies)
R8: 3:5:4 Cursed Hands of Devotion (Fury/Bunnies)
R9: 18:2:4 Infernal Memories of Humiliation (Eclipse/Bunnies)
--------------------
MelAncholic
...criticism is the root of all progress
MelAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 03:59   #4
Syrinx

nah thats ok im a little ****

im just saying r2 was the best. get so big build an elite alliance with like 20 really active players, alliances had so many ships to throw around it wasnt funny ect.....

ever round after r2 has been get worse and worse, to me.....
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 04:12   #5
Varangian
Proscribed Citizen 3141

Varangian is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Round 2

Round 2 stands out for me mainly because it was my first complete round. I went from Unlettered N00B to GC in a month.
Some of the early battles are humorous in retrospect, but it was all brand new.
It had other differences. One it was LONG, much longer than recent rounds. A galaxy could really develop - or degenerate- in that time.
There was time enough for war. A big loss in a battle could be recovered before the end of the round.
And there was the ability to steal, which made it possible to grow even on the defensive!
And alongside your thieves and spiders could ride a horde of your own war friggies..Phantoms and daggers and ghosts...ooohh yeah.
I agree that the game has been somewhat over tweaked. But i did go along with that extra two hours of eta-extra galactic- that arrived during round 2.
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 05:16   #6
Patrician
Sultan of Swing

Patrician is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: ahhh r2 how I miss it

Quote:
Originally posted by Syrinx

lots of spiders
EMP PODS (fs)

BlueTuba
Patrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 07:08   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Round 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Varangian
Round 2 stands out for me mainly because it was my first complete round. I went from Unlettered N00B to GC in a month.
Some of the early battles are humorous in retrospect, but it was all brand new.
It had other differences. One it was LONG, much longer than recent rounds.
You may be thinking of R3. R2 was probably the shortest round ever; well, maybe R8 was shorter--I don't remember the exact length. R2 was ended early due to various people being outraged over ship donations (this was back when a lot of people thought the rankings meant something). It was also f***ed by Spinner tweaking ship stats several times during the round--you'd wake up one morning to discover that all your Torpedoes had half as many guns; or that your Pirates had gone from being one of the best ships in the game to one of the worst. :/

Ah, the memories.

The R2 stats, although a bit primative by today's standards, were quite sophisticated compared to R1. They were also fairly unbalanced (at least initially), which was good for people who did their homework (like me ): you could actually construct a fleet that was substantially better than most other players'. Of course, some people got really upset when they got whomped by fleets a fraction of their size--hence Spinner's mid-round tweaks.

The R2 stats wouldn't work the same way today though. Too many players have access to battle calcs etc, and just about everyone would build the good ships from the get-go.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 11:03   #8
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
heh

Agreed with Hicks...

r2, we were all rather new to the game...but if Thieves came back now, as they were then, it would be totally unbalanced...

I like the Zikonians as they are..

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 13:09   #9
-QS-
nub since 2002

-QS- is an unknown quantity at this point
Those thread sound to me like my grandpa tellin me how far better it was back in the days...
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 14:40   #10
Varangian
Proscribed Citizen 3141

Talking Wed have to walk a mile..

Through the snow to reach our primitive terminals!
THreatened by sabertooth tigers, menaced by the last of the neanderthals...
them waz the good old days..

You should see planetarion at cave art resolution ! Of course the refresh rate is a little slow...;
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 16:50   #11
Dibdevlin
N/A

Dibdevlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Round 2 sucked, people who think it was fun were either very big or high at the time.
Dibdevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 17:50   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Quote:
Originally posted by Dibdevlin
Round 2 sucked, people who think it was fun were either very big or high at the time.
One could say the same for most rounds. :/

I didn't do all that well in R2 (t500 maybe, I don't really remember), but I thought it was fun (well, except for the continual tweaks).
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:30   #13
WST
A Big Pile of Awesome

WST is on a distinguished road
i know it sounds silly, but the game was much more innocent back there. it was fairly raw, and therefore less confusing for noobs (meh back then) and more easy to enjoy
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:37   #14
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
r7 stats > *

imo
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:41   #15
MelAn
Condenación

Quote:
Originally posted by -QS-
Those thread sound to me like my grandpa tellin me how far better it was back in the days...
..no no, its the same when your dad tells you how hard army was in his days, and what a kindergarten it is today
--------------------
MelAncholic
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 18:55   #16
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
heh

Quote:
Originally posted by MelAn
..no no, its the same when your dad tells you how hard army was in his days, and what a kindergarten it is today

no...no...

its like when ur mum says how lazy u are sitting in most of the day, and bragging bout how much outdooor she was when she was young, and that they didnt have a telly etc.
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 19:03   #17
Dibdevlin
N/A

Dibdevlin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
One could say the same for most rounds. :/

I didn't do all that well in R2 (t500 maybe, I don't really remember), but I thought it was fun (well, except for the continual tweaks).
I don't think thats true. Round 2 was a total disaster. Bashing was more rampant in that round than any other round as the larger players used Thieves/Spiders to overwhelm fleets and steal them.
Dibdevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 19:28   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally posted by Dibdevlin
I don't think thats true. Round 2 was a total disaster. Bashing was more rampant in that round than any other round as the larger players used Thieves/Spiders to overwhelm fleets and steal them.
Actually, you didn't have to be large to do that. That was the beauty of Thieves (at least before the two downgrades)--you could often steal more than you lost, even without Spiders. Even if you were tiny, you could still send defense to people and as long as the odds weren't horrible you could usually walk away with a net gain--and sometimes a big gain.

And you could only be bashed if you were relatively inactive. As long as you were active enough to send your fleet away (R2 still had the separate movement and combat ticks, so you could always send your fleet away--even if it just returned), your fleet was basically untouchable (yeah, they could steal your roids, but with Thieves roids were optional).
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 19:36   #19
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Rd2 community rocked, stats were not optimal
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 21:01   #20
MelAn
Condenación

Re: heh

Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
no...no...

its like when ur mum says how lazy u are sitting in most of the day, and bragging bout how much outdooor she was when she was young, and that they didnt have a telly etc.
--------------------
MelAncholic
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 21:15   #21
Azaghal

Azaghal is an unknown quantity at this point
no one seems to remember the server down times in the 'good ol` days'?

Well server downtimes werent a problem yet in r2, and r2 is also one of my favorites, but in fact was a terrible round with the mid-round change of t/p stats.

'T was my first round as GC... and inactivity roiding rocked :P (you know, farming inactives in your galaxy, that are soo inactive the attack has already dissapeared from their priv news when they log in)
Azaghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 21:33   #22
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
r7 stats > *

imo
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 22:25   #23
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Azaghal
no one seems to remember the server down times in the 'good ol` days'?

Well server downtimes werent a problem yet in r2, and r2 is also one of my favorites, but in fact was a terrible round with the mid-round change of t/p stats.

'T was my first round as GC... and inactivity roiding rocked :P (you know, farming inactives in your galaxy, that are soo inactive the attack has already dissapeared from their priv news when they log in)
SO IT WAS YOU WHO ROIDED ME, YOU SLUT
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 00:51   #24
Varangian
Proscribed Citizen 3141

Cool It's true that R had flaws

And that server situation was most irritating.
The ability to avoid the incoming hammer of a kill fleet with a separate ticks was just..wonderful.
There were fleet donations, to be sure. I got one during the last week of the round that really hit the spot!
Rather than watch my galaxy mate fleet wink out of existence or multi thier account, we could use our thief/spider hordes to trransfer ships.
As if theyt said " take my weapons comrade, I;ve had it"
It wasnt free. It cost spiders and thieves and took coordination. And i dont think it was technically illegal.
THis could be abused by multiplayers of course. But they were generally obvious.
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 02:06   #25
Syrinx

I wasnt very big in r2 either, it was fun becuase of the alliance battles so many people, so many ships so many big alliances, it was great, I was high most of the round but that didnt stop anything I got to about 23mil which for that round wasnt very big at all but if some one gets to 23mil now thats doing pretty good, and we have less people, which means less alliances, which means more dominate alliances, which means less wars

and that makes syrinx a sad panda

cause thats what pa is all about war, roids, thieves, and.... WAR!