User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 24 Nov 2005, 18:52   #1
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts
Distorters

Why do planets build loads of Distorters when every major alliance always got scanners that easily can get thru anyway?

To build some from start I get, but after the build up phase there is no reason to continue?

Some got loads and still can’t prevent some heavy scanner to scan him
Aren’t they missing a load of other important construction capabilities?

Please educate me if I got this all wrong?
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 19:00   #2
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Distorters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX
Why do planets build loads of Distorters when every major alliance always got scanners that easily can get thru anyway?

To build some from start I get, but after the build up phase there is no reason to continue?

Some got loads and still can’t prevent some heavy scanner to scan him
Aren’t they missing a load of other important construction capabilities?

Please educate me if I got this all wrong?
it is not a question of being wrong, but them uber scanners aren't on 24/7.
It is to do with the chance of being scanned, It is amazing how your hostile bottle goes when they cant get a jpg.

or if a DC is taking a call against you...if they cant get a scanner on to scan you then you might have a better chance of landing
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 20:25   #3
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddies
it is not a question of being wrong, but them uber scanners aren't on 24/7.
It is to do with the chance of being scanned, It is amazing how your hostile bottle goes when they cant get a jpg.

or if a DC is taking a call against you...if they cant get a scanner on to scan you then you might have a better chance of landing
This + fleet analysis.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 20:33   #4
Tearz
Peter Pwn

Tearz will become famous soon enoughTearz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
This + fleet analysis.
Indeed.

Personally I love the extra faking possilities that distorters can provide.
Tearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 21:14   #5
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts

Well, agreed on that as well then,

But all those mines, finance centre… you didn’t build – don’t they count?
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 21:40   #6
Tearz
Peter Pwn

I agree it's a big trade off.

All worthwhile when landing on a bucketload of wrong defence!
Unread 24 Nov 2005, 21:53   #7
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Ive never been much of a disorter type myself, but been building a few this round. And I must say (as a zik) that they are great, since my targets cant fleetscan. Of course, its a tradeoff, but then again, Im not gonna build only disorters. Its just so that the regular joe can't fleetscan (as there will always be a scanner with more amps).
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 10:23   #8
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Distorters are really usefull, put construction on prio #1 and you build 1 per 6 ticks...
It's possible having 60-70+ distorters atm, which most scanners don't have (afaik)
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 13:31   #9
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Distorters are pretty cool like but i just build 60 finance centres of the go and build amps after that coz there is nothing worse than not being able to fleet scan someone for them to land a good fake attack on you.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 13:39   #10
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Paisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of lightPaisley is a glorious beacon of light

dist whore is a double edged sword
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 14:18   #11
Tearz
Peter Pwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
Distorters are really usefull, put construction on prio #1 and you build 1 per 6 ticks...
It's possible having 60-70+ distorters atm, which most scanners don't have (afaik)
It's possible for a lot more than 70 dists already + maintaining high alertness.

I dread to think how many dists terran dist whores have, if there are indeed any this round (lo Cmd_Carl R14 )
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 15:32   #12
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom
1 per 4 ticks for terran \o/

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 18:23   #13
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:

Of course they do. That's why intelligent players decide what constructions to build as part of their overall strategy.

For example, you may choose to play as Zik and build lots of distorters. Because you have more than two pod classes available (assuming you have stolen some pods), you can hit your target with a fleet that will be almost impossible to anticipate without fleet analysis. If your target has fewer amps than you have distorters, there's a good chance that he will be unable to get the correct defence. In a best-case scenario, you can profit considerably by stealing incorrect defence ships. In alliance wars, this also raises the potential for drawing out enemy defence by sending, say, one frigate and 5000 fighters at a target, which the defenders may be forced to assume is 5001 frigates (or 5001 CO, or 5001 FI).

Or you might choose to play as Cath, getting cruisers early and building a large initial lead by capping lots of roids. In those circumstances, mines and finance centres would be more important.

Anyhow, it's amusing to note that your view of strategy has about as much depth as your view of alliance politics
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 19:26   #14
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:

If you have any further questions... the guys in #strategy will be helpful to ya.
Seasoned pros
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 19:26   #15
MotoX
Stolen

ComradeRob...

The last remark was not necessary though since this thread was an attempt to be some what serious 

I make these threads from time to time to wakeup and inform the new players that after all joins up every new round.

I believe that we (even you) got some skills to give away to the new recruits so please keep this thread informative instead of throwing cheep shots at the thread owner?

Back to subject then:

Even if you can’t fleet scan the attacker and deff is harder to figure out alliances will still send deff fleets and since the attacker can’t fleet scan the defender he prop will pull his attack, right?
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 19:38   #16
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:

Back to subject then:

Even if you can’t fleet scan the attacker and deff is harder to figure out alliances will still send deff fleets and since the attacker can’t fleet scan the defender he prop will pull his attack, right?
Double edged sword I know but if you got xan incs it aint gonna matter.
fleet scan is for the target (defending planet) to find out what is in the fleet of the attacker. a Jumpgate probe aka jpg shows all fleets (friendly and hostile) going towards the planet.

I would recommend doing a "reverse calc" when you can't fleet scan, but can get a unit on him.
Ask yourself for example why is he sending zik BS at me when I have more than enough anti bs... but if he was sending zik frigs at me he would cap roids and ships... I wonder if he is faking frigs.

find the motive to the attack and you are half way there
Unread 25 Nov 2005, 20:02   #17
MotoX
Stolen

True, and it gets even harder when the attacker sends a Fi fleet with only one BS ships to fool the defending planet with their ETA…
Unread 28 Nov 2005, 11:56   #18
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

having distorters is great if ur playing zik, like some other posters have already stated.

My current trick at the moment is landing a pure cr fleet + hornets on xan's. I just match up the numbers so it looks like a bs fleet. The marjority of the time i land with peacekeeper defence as its been called wrong. The frigs i steal feed my frigate fleet.

I think in the last 10 or so attacks only one person reverse calced me via a unit. So I landed on peacekeeper and scarab defence. I still capped roids cos i forgot to take out me mossies from the fleet!

Anyway I would advise building distorters if you zik, fake ur target and hope ur not hitting an alliance scanner!

tsm
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 05:01   #19
Paisley
The brother of Spammer

Quote:
True, and it gets even harder when the attacker sends a Fi fleet with only one BS ships to fool the defending planet with their ETA…
I call it a def sponge... you send a fake fleet to "soak up" defence, a tactic I have done many a time on a single and battle comander (ally) basis.

For this to work you have to ensure they cant fleet scan you...

1. They haven't researched fleet analysis (waves 6 on the tech scan)
2. you have more distorters than they have amps.
3. your a xan faking frigs. (as xan ships cant be fleet scaned)

one other point is make the fake viable... do a calc to see how much def it can potentally draw out.
Unread 29 Nov 2005, 07:34   #20
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddies
dist whore is a double edged sword
less so this round. people that may need a scan of you for your own benifit can get on

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2005, 00:27   #21
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowMan
having distorters is great if ur playing zik, like some other posters have already stated.

My current trick at the moment is landing a pure cr fleet + hornets on xan's. I just match up the numbers so it looks like a bs fleet. The marjority of the time i land with peacekeeper defence as its been called wrong. The frigs i steal feed my frigate fleet.

I think in the last 10 or so attacks only one person reverse calced me via a unit. So I landed on peacekeeper and scarab defence. I still capped roids cos i forgot to take out me mossies from the fleet!

Anyway I would advise building distorters if you zik, fake ur target and hope ur not hitting an alliance scanner!

tsm
Works like a charm indeed!
Faking Fr as Bs is easy too.
This is to be used in retals more likely tho, since most ppl have their vsh/viper out on def. (works for me atleast )
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote